Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Handle id #3733 : Smalltown Boy
2003-11-13 11:39
CreaMD

Handle id #3733 : Smalltown Boy

So some idiot with three fake accounts, or two idiots (one having have fake account), or even three separate idiots have given smalltown boy 1 point in the voting chart.

Why we tolerate such things. Users here were asking for this all the time. Even the poll was made for this. And what happened? User CAN permit that his votes aren't anonymous. Well if you guys at CSDB cleaned the mess after fake voters without disclosing their identity I wouldn't mind if the voters stayed anonymous, but you don't do that.

This whole system is so unhealthy that it doesn't have any reason to exist. None of your partial solutions helped the get rid of this problem. So either make visible voting or disable votes of invisible voters completely so they wont be affecting charts. That will save those idiots of any reactions from people who care and it will separate votes of grownup civilised people from votes of primitives.

Roman

... 27 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2003-11-15 14:16
hollowman

Quote: Hollowman: It's not the votes what matters. Let me take 'Second Reality' by Smash Designs as an example. You realize how much effort it takes to make such thing. Not just the coding, but also the effort to learn all the stuff. And some LAMER voted 1 for it! It's not the number. It's the act. Moreover, I bet that whoever it was, he doesn't have the skills to make that demo.

Puterman: Now who's harsh, CreaMD or the lamer who voted 1 ???
And btw, I really don't get your voting criterion. You have voted 2 on Xmas 2002, and 3 on Second Reality. There's an enormous difference between the demos, and you have given almost equal votes.

so you're only allowed to give a production a low grade
if you can do better yourself? i thought the point of
voting was that you could give your opinion about
a production.
perhaps it would be better if you and creamd sat down with every demo, composer etc. and decided what points are allowed to give it/him/her. then you could lock smalltown boys profile so noone(except someone who can do better music) can vote 1 2 or any other grades you consider unfair for him(havent seen anyone trying to attack the anonymous cowards who voted 9 and 10 for him, guess those grades were allowed..)

it has been a few years since i saw second reality/sd,
but as i remember it kb made good covers of the music.
but being a conversion of another demo it showed a total lack of imagination, but a lot of arrogance with the '(c)smash designs' and the 'this demo won the demo competition at the party' text. also it was partly quite ugly.
i can see a number of reasons why someone wouldnt like
that demo, but since you dont leave an explanation along
with your vote it you'll never know, but a few people here
seem to have a special sense for finding out the motives
behind votes..
i havent seen any guidelines about voting, for example that your vote is supposed to take consideration to the amount of work the production required. i simply thought that
10 means that i really like it and a 1 that i really didnt.
i havent voted much here before and now that seeing this
discussion i doubt that my voting will increase. i know
if i like a demo or not, but estimating how much that
is worth compared to time invested, my skill vs. the
makers skills, how sensitive the makers are, how much creamd
like it etc. is just too much work
2003-11-15 15:10
CreaMD

Quote: so you're only allowed to give a production a low grade
if you can do better yourself? i thought the point of
voting was that you could give your opinion about
a production.
perhaps it would be better if you and creamd sat down with every demo, composer etc. and decided what points are allowed to give it/him/her. then you could lock smalltown boys profile so noone(except someone who can do better music) can vote 1 2 or any other grades you consider unfair for him(havent seen anyone trying to attack the anonymous cowards who voted 9 and 10 for him, guess those grades were allowed..)

it has been a few years since i saw second reality/sd,
but as i remember it kb made good covers of the music.
but being a conversion of another demo it showed a total lack of imagination, but a lot of arrogance with the '(c)smash designs' and the 'this demo won the demo competition at the party' text. also it was partly quite ugly.
i can see a number of reasons why someone wouldnt like
that demo, but since you dont leave an explanation along
with your vote it you'll never know, but a few people here
seem to have a special sense for finding out the motives
behind votes..
i havent seen any guidelines about voting, for example that your vote is supposed to take consideration to the amount of work the production required. i simply thought that
10 means that i really like it and a 1 that i really didnt.
i havent voted much here before and now that seeing this
discussion i doubt that my voting will increase. i know
if i like a demo or not, but estimating how much that
is worth compared to time invested, my skill vs. the
makers skills, how sensitive the makers are, how much creamd
like it etc. is just too much work

First of all keep me of your daemagogic advocatus diaboli speech especially when you put ideas into my mouth which I haven't expressed.

I said it as clearly as possible and you obviously don't read what I say. So once more I reiterate my views.

I don't want to see anonymous voters votes affecting the charts. I don't mind if anyone gives any production 1 point, but that anyone must be signed. I'm pretty upset to see 3 anonymous idiots (or 2 anonymous idiots and one having fake account) or one anonymous idiot having 3 fake account showing us all how powerless we are in our tolerance. Or better said how vain is to protect anonymous voter's privacy. Say what you want Hollowman but don't tell me that you accept this way of organisation of the CSDB charts!
2003-11-15 17:02
Hate Bush

Hollowman, I really don't mind if someone gives me 1 or 10, but I'd like to see if it's an existing scener (with whom I am able to discuss why he/she likes my music or why he/she doesn't), or not. I don't appreciate anonymous votes at all. Therefore I agree on making all votes public.

How to say whether someone judges a scener by the quality of his/her works, or by personal feelings towards him/her, is another problem, and much more difficult to solve.
2003-11-15 17:20
Cybernator

Hollowman: I think you got me wrong. It's not about being better or not, but in the case of Second Reality, it's seems to me that the guy really downvoted the demo. Like if you have insulted me, and I give you 1 point in return, no matter if your demo really kicks ass.

According to the votes, people seem not to like that demo a lot. Maybe I just have a different opinion. But in any way, giving 1 point to SR is quite ridiculous, imho.

Ok, back to the topic. This was about Smalltown Boy, and I think I went a little bit OT.
2003-11-16 14:42
hollowman

creamd, i usually say whatever i want. sorry for overinterpreting your words. reading carefully i see that you only did draw the conclusion that if you give sb a 1 point, you are an idiot

actually i dont care much at all about the charts here,
people seem to have different ideas of their purpose.
as i understand it, many want the average score to
show some objective truth, since the ammount of work
and skill should be considered. then we could let a few
persons with insight tell their objective opinion. lets
say graham rates code, jailbird the gfx, sb the music etc and have the grades settled once and for all.
and we'd get rid of the problem with voters who dont know shit. then its no longer the public who rates demos and sceners, but subjective opinions seem to cause so much fuzz here anyway, especially since they dont come with a motivation attached.

non anonymous votes does make a bit of sense since you
can track down the person and perhaps get some suggestions
about what to improve. but then there are few people on the c64 scene i would listen to anyway..
2003-11-16 16:14
Perff
Administrator

About downvoting..

I havn't read all the posts in this topic through, but some time ago I tried to make a function that tries to figure out if votes are crap votes or not, and reduce them if they are.

I never got to make that as good as I wanted but it worked a bit. Now when I saw these votes I again went back and twisted my function a bit more, so now I think it works better.

At least smalltown boy's rating is now aprox 7.5 where before it was aprox. 6.5.

The best thing is ofcourse to find these crap voters and kick their ass, but that requires a LOT of time looking through log files etcetc, and personally I don't have time for that. :/
2003-11-16 19:22
CreaMD

Quote: creamd, i usually say whatever i want. sorry for overinterpreting your words. reading carefully i see that you only did draw the conclusion that if you give sb a 1 point, you are an idiot

actually i dont care much at all about the charts here,
people seem to have different ideas of their purpose.
as i understand it, many want the average score to
show some objective truth, since the ammount of work
and skill should be considered. then we could let a few
persons with insight tell their objective opinion. lets
say graham rates code, jailbird the gfx, sb the music etc and have the grades settled once and for all.
and we'd get rid of the problem with voters who dont know shit. then its no longer the public who rates demos and sceners, but subjective opinions seem to cause so much fuzz here anyway, especially since they dont come with a motivation attached.

non anonymous votes does make a bit of sense since you
can track down the person and perhaps get some suggestions
about what to improve. but then there are few people on the c64 scene i would listen to anyway..

Thanx for rewording what I wanted to say. Yes and btw. that was the least brutal insult I could think of.

The rest of your text is a very shy *yes*, to my suggestion. Thanx.
2003-11-16 19:29
CreaMD

Quote: About downvoting..

I havn't read all the posts in this topic through, but some time ago I tried to make a function that tries to figure out if votes are crap votes or not, and reduce them if they are.

I never got to make that as good as I wanted but it worked a bit. Now when I saw these votes I again went back and twisted my function a bit more, so now I think it works better.

At least smalltown boy's rating is now aprox 7.5 where before it was aprox. 6.5.

The best thing is ofcourse to find these crap voters and kick their ass, but that requires a LOT of time looking through log files etcetc, and personally I don't have time for that. :/

Perff I have one more suggestion which could be implemented. Make possibility to disable anonymous votes from charts in the CSDB user profile. If he doesn't want to see charts influence by votes from anonymous voters he will disable it. Either make it on or off by default, but please do that. I'll sleep better. Other wannabe suggestion doing the same as your routine does is that if an editor of the database entry wanted he could be able to disable anonymous votes for the database entry. All this debate leads into one and only conclusion ---> anonymous votes and voters are unwanted by the most people.

CreAMD
2003-11-16 20:06
Puterman
Account closed

Judging by the number of votes that most releases get, I'd say it's more like votes are uninteresting to most people.
2003-11-17 03:21
Board Rider

I would have to agree on all posts here... I only voted on some demos and such... but, I thought they was very good demos.

Board Rider/CSD!
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
goerp/F4CG
QuasaR/CENTRiC
iAN CooG/HVSC
Bob/Censor Design
Viti/Hokuto Force
Mason/Unicess