Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Handle id #8134 : Matt Gray
2006-12-16 22:15
Stainless Steel

Handle id #8134 : Matt Gray

Hey guys, i was wondering if anyone knew anything about Matt Gray, all i have found so far is this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Gray article on wikipedia which has little but interesting information about him.

... 14 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2014-09-11 01:47
TheRyk

call me the grinch, but though I'm an EXTREME fan (alas, not on social hipster face book whatever network, drama base must be enough), if I read/understood correctly, this means some kickstarter project for SID music audio on CD, _NOT_ new stuff to be released for/played on real hw. The latter would be a blast, the former... *shrug* basically what Huelsbek does for a couple of years for his German fanboy crowd and which didn't really catch my interest at all at any time, blasphemous attitude, I know, sorry. I'd freely wire Mighty Matt some bucks for true new C64 releases, however. :)
2014-09-11 02:36
NecroPolo

Aye, according to the forum thread, a remake album of a number of his best SID tunes is his plan.

But as I have made a similar journey in 2009 when I made my SID remix album 'rakBIT', I can remember that during the way I realised that for me SID composing was the rawest and most inspiring core engine of writing music during the decades that I spent in the underground metal scene. I followed the same basic principles with guitar as I did with SID back in the days.

https://soundcloud.com/necropolo/borxx

https://soundcloud.com/wackormusic/borxx-redux

After 15 years of leaving my C64 in the box to rest, by 2009 I burned out musically as I travelled quite far from this core and lost the roots. During making of that album I found the old inspiration. I re-started SID composing and I got back to the start, having the same initial experience that absolutely resurrected the feeling of why I started creating music at all and got back my inspiration. The rest can be seen on my CSDb handle page.

I just want to say, if finding initial musical inspiration again in SID composing through 'remixing' (well my album was more like a remake) of old SIDs was such an intense experience for me, maybe it will be for Matt, too.

He is a member of Xenomania who is behind Cher's 'Believe' super hit, acts like Sugababes and Girls Aloud, he worked with Pet Shop Boys and an ample of class pop acts. He is not only a top golden age SID composer but also one of the best proven offscene music composers ever worked on SIDs and so far the only one who had such mainstream success. I have no doubt if he happens to create new SIDs, it will be a big blast like you said.

I don't see blasphemy in your opinion. That's just your point of view, as a diehard fan of Matt's you still have a personal priority of SID over a music CD, that's your way that I don't agree with but that's my way, then. Supporting an act is the same thing I think, regardless of output format as you support the same person behind.

But we agree, his album project is a good thing happening as well as there is some possibility that he maybe find a way back to SID composing.

Who knows what the future holds? :)
2014-09-17 18:34
iAN CooG

https://soundcloud.com/mattgrayc64/matt-gray-last-ninja-2-centr..
2014-09-18 20:23
TheRyk

Admittedly, quite nice! Makes me less grinchy as above ;)
2014-11-08 15:06
John64

@TheRyk: Matt will actually compose 6 new SIDS that are playable on real hw. The Kickstarter project needs to reach £40k for this. At this moment the counter is at £39,880 so probably today the £40k will be reached.

Matt writes the following:

"If the funding reaches £40k then I will dust off the C64 assembler, load up my player and start composing 6 brand new SID tracks. These will be an added audio CD reward for every backer on Level 2 or above at no extra cost.

1. Last Ninja 2 - The Lost Level (Empire State??)
2. Driller 2 - Exodus (A Prequel To Driller)
3. Dominator 2
4. Tusker - The Hidden Level
5. Vendetta 2 - Mission In Europe
6. Bangkok Knights 2 - The Rematch

These will be pure SID tracks produced on my player exactly as I left it 23 years ago."

Someone on Facebook asks: "Will the SIDs be also available as playable files for the C64?"; Matt Gray answers: "They will".

So this is quite exciting news. Lets go to http://www.mattgrayc64.uk and support Matt :)
2014-11-08 15:44
Mixer

Personally, I don't much like mr Grays past SID game soundtracks. Perhaps he does better music nowadays.

The idea of setting up a kickstarter to get money about doing SID music is briliant.

I should personally set up kickstarter and ask ppl to support composing sid music or to support not composing sid music. Higher bid wins.

No intention to hijack the thread, just a critique.
2014-11-09 00:10
SIDWAVE
Account closed

Producing remix cds never gave anything. the total count of c64audio.com is a minus, that chris abbot paid himself.

to release remixes, ofcourse matt could do it all for free and just upload somewhere, but its nice to have a project out, because people dont really appreciate for free music, they just click once and dont even download. so ofcourse only real fans will buy.
2014-11-09 01:34
booker
Account closed

Quoting John64

So this is quite exciting news. Lets go to http://www.mattgrayc64.uk and support Matt :)

If I contribute my money by paying for the project I assume I'm becoming as [one of] employers of Mr Matt yes? This all looks like public contract, really - Mr Matt asks for a cash and in return he will produce a product (remixes of tunes already remixed 100s of times, new SIDs ect).

I'm especially interested in SIDs, If I become Mr Matt contracting side by paying, can I ask the SIDs to be of particular quality - for instance, them to not be just another repetitive reproduction of SID tunes 23 years ago, but instead to be a fresh and crackling amazingly surprising, yet unheard quality for SID ever? Or I will just have to accept them as produced?

Otherwise, there are probably 20k tunes sounding like 80s-90s Matt Gray style in HVSC...for free.

Just my 5-bitching-cents-with-a-hint-of-probably-constructive-critics-which-won't-ever-b e-taken-under-consideration-anyway-additionally-assumedly-but-not-intentionally- will-create-a-wave-of-heatred-from-Mr.Matt-groupies, but...thank you for reading.

btw. waiting for those 6 tunes anyhow :)))
2014-11-09 10:52
jailbird

I'm old, I do stuff. Wanna pay me remixing pixels?

Bohohoo cry me a river.
2014-11-09 13:06
booker
Account closed

I could think about that, actually.

..but then no, you are not a legend! Too young, try in 30 years.

bah =)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
d0c
Exile/Anubis
Guests online: 128
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)