Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Release id #137897 : Aviator Arcade II Preview
2015-04-19 23:21
mhindsbo
Account closed

Release id #137897 : Aviator Arcade II Preview

We just released the preview of Aviator Arcade II. Very interested in your feedback. A lot of the feedback from the RGCD 16K compo is in the preview and we are continuing to push to make this one of the best vertical shoot-em-up games on the C64 ... let us know what you think and what you would like to see!

... 7 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2015-04-20 19:08
mhindsbo
Account closed

@encore: i like the idea of gradually decreasing scrolling speed :-) ... non-trivial and will add a little overhead, since all objects need to change speed accordingly ... but cool :-)

@groepaz: i hear you on degree of difficulty! energy bar is per design though ... was not meant to be a game where one hit kills you, but to allow for a little more "abandon" in the style of play
2015-04-20 20:46
MagerValp

No complaints about the difficulty from me, I made it to level 3 on the first try - then I had to answer the phone. A pause key would be nice though :)

The only thing I don't like so far is that you lose your powerup when the level ends.
2015-04-20 22:15
mhindsbo
Account closed

press F7 during play to pause. F1 = music on/off, F3 = fx on/off, F5 = autofire on/off

I think it would be fair to keep powerup across levels :-)
2015-04-20 22:17
chatGPZ

regarding powerups: make sure the game can be completed after losing all powerups (losing a life).... some shooters solved it (imho) nicely by dropping all powerups when the player dies, so they can be picked up again immediatly.
2015-04-20 22:21
Heavy Stylus

Hello peeps, I rarely post here, but it is fun to see many names I recognise writing about this game :)

@mhindsbo - actually, I'm siding with Groepaz on this one regarding difficulty. I normally detest energy bars, but here I think it is balanced well against the 'restart from the beginning of the level'. However, I totally think you should scrap the difficulty settings. Get it balanced at 'normal' level, then UNLOCK 'game+' with harder difficulty on completion of the standard game.

Regarding power-ups, I'd like to see three way fire \ | / and twin fire (front and rear) added, if possible.

Also, consider dropping the 'shoot power-ups to collect', and instead have the power-ups cycle through the available options when shot, and fly over to collect.

@encore - I felt the same when I first played the compo version way back, it's rare to find a shmup on the C64 that feels so tight on the controls. I really like this one :)
2015-04-21 04:57
alwyz

Not much to contribute, just want to add some positive feedback on how much fun this is, from the top secret mission papers to the heat seeking missiles, this game has that certain rare "magic" and "cool" factor.. If i could add anything it'd be the ability to hold fire for bombs and 360 directional firing (but maybe that would make the gameplay messy, not sure).

Can't wait for the finished product.
2015-04-21 19:08
mhindsbo
Account closed

@alwyz ... lots to contribute! it is very good to know what works in addition to what should be changed / added

the bomb is triggered by the fire button when you chose auto-fire. does that do what you are looking for?

holding the button (without auto-fire) gives continuous fire, so you don't have to jam the button continuously

with holding the button and 360 I assume you mean that the bullet will then fire in the direction of the joystick (and stop controlling the plane)
2015-04-21 19:10
mhindsbo
Account closed

lots of great suggestions. thank you! I am compiling a list and will publish it shortly. Perhaps do a 'poll' over on lemon64 so I can get an idea of how many like which features. keep it coming (although I can't promise to implement them all ;-)
2015-04-25 18:16
mhindsbo
Account closed

I just wanted to say thank you for all the feedback! Some great suggestions that also gives energy to the continued work. Here are some of the feedback/suggestions that we will work on (in addition to completing the next ~7 levels, new enemies, etc).

- Cycle through power-ups by shooting them multiple times. Fly over to pick the selected one up
- 3 way + back/front shots power-up... and other power-ups
- Keep power-up when going to a new level
- Special explosions for the bosses to make killing them more gratifying
- Give 'feedback' on killing bonus objects (special audio cue?)
- Slow down scrolling gradually at level end and flash warning in HUD
- Animated chars for e.g. water, lava, etc.
- Extra player every 100K points?
- A great ending sequence
2015-11-07 11:27
Matt

right then.
how are things pogressing with this game?
any news? I'm happy to hear about it.
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Paul Bearer
Guests online: 179
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)