Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > Splits and Side-Border demos
2015-05-13 22:06
The Phantom

Splits and Side-Border demos

Hey y'all...

I've recently found one of my projects, and it made me curious.

Are there any demos that use the side-borders AND have raster splits?

My old idea turned out to be quite tedious, so I stopped coding it. In seeing it again, I'm curious if anybody else has gone through the process, and really curious as to how they used the routines.

A link is provided under this. It shows I have my sprites in the side-borders AND has raster-splits (blue, purple, lt. blue and cyan). I have music playing, which you can't hear (obviously). That timing is displayed in the side-border (using that old inc $d020 dec $d020 trick). Also, you will be able to move forward or backward in the link, to view other pictures of other stuff. You can ignore that ;)
(those ARE wood carvings I made ;) )

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f245/festeezio/blah_zpsitjbot..

... 13 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2015-05-16 07:39
SIDWAVE
Account closed

go Triton Technology. 1988
inventors of it.
the DYSP sprite sinus.

once again your danish master invent before you are born :)
2015-05-16 09:39
SIDWAVE
Account closed

erh, could be other..
anyway, a dysp from 88, with splits filling the screen.
yep, made long ago.
2015-05-16 11:57
Krill

Quoting The Phantom
Really Krill?

I thought I asked you to stop answering my phone when you clean my house?

Just know, I don't care how old the effect is. They can always be improved on, unlike your personality.

If you've nothing productive to say, and obviously can't stay on topic, then please, STFU.
No need to go ad hominem, that usually backfires quickly.

I just chose a somewhat aggressive way of answering part of your questions, saying that yes, these kinds of effect have been done to death by various people decades ago, basically without any room for improvement left. Figures, as they are comparatively simple. Also, what Groepaz said.
2015-05-25 22:21
Copyfault

Quoting JackAsser
If you want to find an effect to improve I dare say you just picked the hardest one. Maybe more sprites over FLI is harder. Hey, now that you're on it, why not implement uflimax, nobody still haven't and I'm sure it's possible. :)

Depending on how UFLIMAX is defined I'd say that the code is already there for NTSC-machines - but nobody bothered to implement them into an NTSC demo yet.

Ofcourse I'm cheating a little if I write this... UFLIMAX=6 Sprites over full 200 FLI-lines is only valid for PAL; for NTSC, this would automatically increase to 7 Sprites ;)

However, the 65 cycles per rasterline open up a wide range of raster-based effects which will be impossible to port onto a PAL machine, so I'm still wondering why the NTSC scene did not kick our PAL asses long time ago when it comes to raster-based effects... (e.g. by copying Ninjas "6" Sprites over FLI routine in Darwin, or my "5" Sprite over full 200 lines FLI in The Other Lines, or ...)

After all it's comparing apples and oranges as we're talking two different demo platforms here, though I might feel a bit sad if one day such a non-portable NTSC effect surfaces ;)
2015-05-26 09:42
T.M.R
Account closed

Quoting Copyfault
However, the 65 cycles per rasterline open up a wide range of raster-based effects which will be impossible to port onto a PAL machine, so I'm still wondering why the NTSC scene did not kick our PAL asses long time ago when it comes to raster-based effects...

i've always assumed it was because the NTSC sceners couldn't run the PAL demos to be part of the various ongoing "battles" between coders to improve and build on previously released routines...?
2015-05-27 07:36
Krill

Quoting Copyfault
I'm still wondering why the NTSC scene did not kick our PAL asses long time ago when it comes to raster-based effects...
And i have always assumed that those who could do it (which don't seem many in the first place) just don't bother.
2015-05-27 07:38
Krill

T.M.R: But but, what about emulators? You can run PAL demos anywhere in the world with them, even without an actual C-64!11!! :)
2015-05-27 09:05
T.M.R
Account closed

Quoting Krill
T.M.R: But but, what about emulators? You can run PAL demos anywhere in the world with them, even without an actual C-64!11!! :)

Yes that's possible now, but i reckon that the "shape" of the PAL and NTSC scenes were pretty much set in place during the 1980s when that wasn't an option; we had our "arms race" where the best coders were constantly trying to top what had been done previously and the techniques trickled down to the less able ones (like me!) but the NTSC guys didn't see more than a tiny fraction of that.

People could go back to those demos to learn the techniques and that's what The Phantom is apparently doing (but with an archive this size it's probably hard to know where to start) but we're all getting old and that fervour of youth which powered things in the 1980s is diminished. At least that's my excuse for only figuring out some of this stuff very recently and i'm sticking to it. =-)
2015-05-27 10:42
Tao

I'm assuming there's an NTSC version of the C= 128 too? Since there are hardly any demos for the C= 128, maybe it would be a better platform for the NTSC sceners; they'd be on an even footing with the PAL sceners, since neither would have much experience with the platform :D

(I admit that the only reason for me to suggest this is that I'd love to see more demos for the C= 128 -- and 64 + REU, for that matter).
2015-05-27 11:40
T.M.R
Account closed

Quoting Tao
I'm assuming there's an NTSC version of the C= 128 too? Since there are hardly any demos for the C= 128, maybe it would be a better platform for the NTSC sceners; they'd be on an even footing with the PAL sceners, since neither would have much experience with the platform :D

Umm... Risen from Oblivion demonstrates a bit more experience from the PAL side of things? =-)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
bisboch/HF
Scooby/G★P/Light
iAN CooG/HVSC
Erol
hedning/G★P
Guests online: 153