Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > VICE - call for maintainers
2016-02-23 22:21
Count Zero

VICE - call for maintainers

Hey there all you (ab)users!

One of your favourite emulators next to HOXS, CCS, Frodo and alike really could use some help.

VICE has an awesome page at https://sourceforge.net/projects/vice-emu/ limited only by SF possibilities.

Many people around here use VICE and heavily avoid using the supplied bug tracker, mailing list or even the repositories. So be it.

Blacky Stardust does some awesome magic to supply Makefiles and project files for an incredible amount of platforms - and he keeps them up-to-date even when the original maintainer abandoned the project a long time ago.
He also recently announced a more rapid release cycle so we can hopefully narrow down problems in the future without asking "please try with a recent build. v2.2 is unsupported for a long time now."

However, if you are an experienced user on a deserted platform,

SUCH AS MAC OS X (!!!)

please check recent mailing list posts at https://sourceforge.net/p/vice-emu/mailman/vice-emu-mail/ and SAVE YOUR OS! :)

If you are using VICE on ANY other "rare" supported platform check the same link and offer your support for testing please!
While we provide WinVICE nightlies there are options to offer support for more platforms of course but I have chosen to not cross-build them as I feel quick testing in a VM is way too short for "maintenance". One should at least be able to test the build on two or more versions of the targetted OS is my personal opinion. Be it _only_ Win XP and Win 7 :).

So, if you feel you can support us by maintaining a port, supply regular builds for "common" platforms or just provide more bug reports to the tracker - DO SO! Don't be the lazy ass I see in the mirror every morning!

... 14 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2016-02-24 09:03
Fierman

git != github
2016-02-24 14:26
chatGPZ

we've had no problems with merging patches from other people in the past years, so no, moving to git(hub) will not solve anything.

and just to make clear again what countzero was saying:

THE WINDOWS PORT IS SUBJECT FOR DELETION

THE OSX PORT IS SUBJECT FOR DELETION

...and it needs YOU to step up NOW to make that not happen.
2016-02-24 15:18
Mr. SID

It feels like it's time for those ports to die.
2016-02-24 15:23
chatGPZ

personally i'd be more than happy to just delete them. what a relief that would be :)
2016-02-24 17:26
MagerValp

Crap, did my post earlier today end up in /dev/null? Bah :(
2016-02-24 18:56
riq

> we've had no problems with merging patches from other people in the past years, so no, moving to git(hub) will not solve anything.

You guys want to keep using SVN. And that is fine.
But I disagree that "it won't solve anything". For contributors, it is easier to generate patches and test them by using the git/mercurial workflow and tools.

Once the patch is generated, then merging it, it is the same for SVN or Git. But git/mercurial are more friendly for contributors.

You are looking for maintainers right now (and not contributors), but someone become a maintainer after being an active contributor . The bigger the pool of contributors, the bigger the chances to find possible maintainers.

Anyway, THANK YOU for maintaining VICE!
2016-02-24 19:16
null
Account closed

I've got an A4000/060 with OS3.1, so I could could possibly help test that branch. How exactly do I sign up for this? (:
2016-02-24 19:40
chatGPZ

riq: seriously, no. the difference is marginal at best and a matter of taste. in fact, for those projects i have dealt with that use git, git has been nothing but a hazzle for me and i wish they wouldnt use it =P i also know a bunch of people who will not contribute to projects when they use git(hub), because of the massive sux (and i'd be one of them if not for cc65) :)
anyway, thats all pretty offtopic and doesnt matter. we use sourceforge and we use svn. end of story :o)
2016-02-24 20:52
AlexC

Quote: I've got an A4000/060 with OS3.1, so I could could possibly help test that branch. How exactly do I sign up for this? (:

I seriously doubt Vice will run on such config. The last time I've tried Vice under OS.41 on Sam460 the performance made it to never do it again. In fact I had never even tried to run on on my A4000/CyberStorm PCC.

Wish I had a lot more time so I could help you guys with Win port. but for a number of reasons it is a no go for me at this point. But I wish you lack and I really keep my fingers crossed for keeping up with Windows port.
2016-02-24 22:11
null
Account closed

I don't expect it to run well at all either, but the port exists and I'd like to try to run it for my own amusement.

As it stands it just locks up the machine.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Alakran_64
iAN CooG/HVSC
Thierry
maak
sln.pixelrat
kbs/Pht/Lxt