Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > How to make efficient double-sine calculations
2017-08-20 16:28
Trap

How to make efficient double-sine calculations

Hi,

I am trying to improve a little on my effect animation skills. To that purpose I'd like to hear how you guys solve the issue of double-sine table calculations. As I am by no means a math-guru - not even close, try to keep it at a practical level :)
Sure, there has to be some clever way around this. Usually I'd do something like the following mock-up code:

lda Counter1 // Copy counters to indexes
sta Index1
lda Counter2
sta Index2
ldx #TableSize
!CalcAnim: ldy Index1
lda SineWave1,y // Get first value
iny // Index1 Delta + 1
sty Index1
ldy Index2
clc
adc SineWave2,y // Add second value
iny // Index2 Delta + 1
sty Index2
tay
lda Lookuptable,y // Find the value and store it
sta Destinationtable,x
dex
bne CalcAnim-
lda Counter1
clc
adc #1 // Velocity 1
sta Counter1
lda Counter2
clc
adc #1 // Velocity 2
sta Counter2

Apart from unrolling the loop, I am short of good ideas on how to make this efficient. Use of ZP for the indexes saves a few cycles as well.
How do you guys approach this in your demos?

... 5 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2017-08-21 09:12
ChristopherJam

So, if all your tables are page aligned, and if you also follow the sinewave table with a second copy of itself, the following
should have the same result:
    lda Counter1 // Copy counters to indexes
    sta rna0+1
    lda Counter2
    sta rna1+1
    ldx #TableSize
    ldy #0
!CalcAnim:
    clc
!rna0
    lda SineWave1,y // Get first value
!rna1
    adc SineWave2,y             // Add second value
    sta rna2+1
!rna2
    lda Lookuptable             // Find the value and store it
    sta Destinationtable,x
    iny
    dex
    bne CalcAnim-

lda Counter1
    clc
    adc #1             // Velocity 1
    sta Counter1
    lda Counter2
    clc
    adc #1             // Velocity 2
    sta Counter2

But the above loop only needs seperate indices for source and destination because Y is increasing and X is decreasing.
Also, as others have pointed out, you don't need the CLC if you know the results will never overflow (eg because your sine tables contain 64+63*sin(x*pi/128) )

So, you should be able to get the same effects from an inner loop like this
!loop:
    lda sin+counter1,y
    adc sin+counter2,y
    tax
    lda lut,x
    sta dst,y
    dey
    bne loop

You can also halve the number of DEY/BNEs by a partial unroll, dividing the output into first/second half:
    ldy#TableSize/2
!loop
    lda sin+counter1,y
    adc sin+counter2,y
    tax
    lda lut,x
    sta dst,y

lda sin+counter1+TableSize/2,y
    adc sin+counter2+TableSize/2,y
    tax
    lda lut,x
    sta dst+TableSize/2,y
    dey
    bne loop

The ALR mentioned above is good to know about (it's news to me!), but if all you want is a straight divide by two of the eight bit result, you can fold that into the table lookup and save the cycles.

(Alternately, if you put a ROR after the ADC you can use 128+127*sin(x*pi/128) - the carry will contain noise, but even without a CLC before the ADC the result will still be more accurate than using the smaller scale factor on your tables.)
2017-08-22 05:08
Oswald

depending on what your lookup values are you may skip the entire lookup by already putting the lookup values into sin1/sin2 or fabricating them so that after adc you get the right values :P :)
2017-08-22 06:16
lft

Or use character mode, and integrate the lookup table into the font.
2017-08-22 11:57
Trap

So much awesome info. Thanks guys.

I think some of you are thinking a traditional movement system, but that is not what I was after. Pre-calculating the movements for a table would produce an awful lot of data - for every line, I'd have at least 128 bytes (for a semi-smooth experience). I am not looking for a follow-path, but creating dynamic waves.

With your input I've managed a 33% speed improvement and there's still some cycles left I can shave off.

The ALR/ROR tips were awesome <3

Lft, that's an interesting thought - could you elaborate?
2017-08-22 14:21
Oswald

the examples are not about precalculating movements into a table, the most extreme here is to precalculate your counter+velocity values into table lookups in an unrolled loop, and that unrolling (speedcode generation) also can happen realtime when changing effect movement.

unrolling your loop with your labels would give you:

ldx Counter1
ldy Counter2

for loopcount=0 to tablesize

lda sin1+LoopCount*Velocity1,x
clc
adc sin2+LoopCount*Velocity2,y
sta destinationtable+loopcount

next

(out of registers for lookuptable)

speed increase would be many fold instead of lowly 33%
2017-08-22 14:59
Dano

Me doing it mostly the Oswald-way these days. With ROR if needed..
2017-08-22 15:10
lft

Quoting Trap
Lft, that's an interesting thought - could you elaborate?

Well, it depends on what you need the values for, of course. The simplest case would be an 8x8 plasma, where you just use sin(x)+sin(y) as the character value, and put a gradient pattern in the chars. With ECM you can have many colours in the gradient. To animate, you just modify the scale and origin of the coordinate system (x and y independently), and recompute.

Now suppose you want to render f(sin(x) + sin(y)) all over the screen (1x1 plasma), and let's say you limit yourself to sixteen different values of sin(y) and sixteen different values of sin(x). Then you can precalc full lines (wider than the screen) of graphics for each possible sin(y) inside each half of each font bank. Based on your desired scale and offset for the x axis, you compute char references into the first row of each of two video matrices -- one that picks chars from the first half of the font, and one that picks from the second half. Then you fetch that into the VIC chip with a badline, and repeat the same line over the entire screen, while switching banks according to sin(y) on each line.
2017-08-22 15:36
Oswald

lft, that sounds excitingly cool, but your description is impossible to follow for me. 1x1 pixels? how ? :D

one way of 8x8 (char reso) plasma I can imagine is having charsets like:

cset0 char0: picks gradient 0+0
cset1 char0: picks gradient 0+1
cset2 char0: picks gradient 0+2

cset0 char1: picks gradient 1+0
cset1 char1: picks gradient 1+1
cset2 char1: picks gradient 1+2

that way by switching charsets one can do the +sin(y) with the VICII. The beauty of this is, it is enough to render only one line compared to usual "raster plasma" (my terminology) routines, which need to precompute all lines for the possible sin(Y) values per frame. the downside is only 8 different charsets, maybe thats why you talk about half fonts and 2 screens, to have 16 virtual charsets.
2017-08-23 06:29
lft

Sorry for my confusing description. It was a bit hurried. The last part is quite wrong too, because if we use two video matrices in that way, we have to trigger badlines on every line.

Anyway, here is an example of what I mean. A single VIC-bank is used. In the Y direction, it's normal FPP with 16 choices. In the X direction, by rewriting the video matrices, we are looking at a 40-chars-wide subsection of a complete cyclic pattern of 123 chars (leaving 5 chars = 40 bytes for the first video matrix row). The animation (x-wobble and colour cycle) is built into the pattern.
2017-08-23 13:26
Oswald

thanks, that makes it clear :)
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
hedning/G★P
d0c
iAN CooG/HVSC
Digger/Elysium
DKT/Samar
Mihai