Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > Kick Assembler Thread 2
2009-07-21 17:20
Slammer

Kick Assembler Thread 2

The previous thread took a little long to load, so this is a new fresh one..

... 590 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2023-07-11 03:06
Martin Piper

Since I modified Acme to add python scripting support and exhaustive forward label resolution (it retries passes until all labels are defined consistent values) I prefer that assembler. :)
2023-07-11 17:41
Frantic

Quote: Since I modified Acme to add python scripting support and exhaustive forward label resolution (it retries passes until all labels are defined consistent values) I prefer that assembler. :)

Where is that version of ACME available, if anywhere?
2023-07-12 09:32
Martin Piper

Quote: Where is that version of ACME available, if anywhere?

Win binaries: https://github.com/martinpiper/ACME/tree/master/Release

Tests:
https://github.com/martinpiper/ACME/blob/master/features/CheckF..
https://github.com/martinpiper/ACME/blob/master/features/CheckP..

https://github.com/martinpiper/ACME/blob/master/TestPython.a#L17

Source in same repo.
2023-08-09 17:56
Frostbyte

I have a small problem, and I don't know if Kick Assembler has a way to provide the solution.

What I think I'd need is dynamic labels - that is, labels that are created and named dynamically at compile time.

In my macro, i'm generating code based on some input data, and I'd need labels within that code (in positions and numbers I don't know of yet at the time of generating the code). Then I'm generating another code block that would refer to those generated labels.

E.g. first bit of macro creates code with label1, label2, label3 etc.

Second bit of macro creates code that updates the values at the aforementioned labels.

As far as I can see this is not possible, at least with the usual labels that seem to be always hard-coded? Any other ideas how to do something like this?
2023-08-09 18:54
trident

Quote: I have a small problem, and I don't know if Kick Assembler has a way to provide the solution.

What I think I'd need is dynamic labels - that is, labels that are created and named dynamically at compile time.

In my macro, i'm generating code based on some input data, and I'd need labels within that code (in positions and numbers I don't know of yet at the time of generating the code). Then I'm generating another code block that would refer to those generated labels.

E.g. first bit of macro creates code with label1, label2, label3 etc.

Second bit of macro creates code that updates the values at the aforementioned labels.

As far as I can see this is not possible, at least with the usual labels that seem to be always hard-coded? Any other ideas how to do something like this?

Instead of using a bunch of labels, you can create a list to keep track of the addresses, and then use that list to reach them. Like this:

.var ldas = List()

.macro the_macro_that_creates_the_code() {
.eval ldas.add(* + 1)
lda #0
sta $d020
}

Then, further down in the code:

.macro the_macro_that_refers_to_the_created_code() {
.for (var i = 0; i < ldas.size(); i++) {
lda colors + i,x
sta ldas.get(i)
}
}
2023-08-09 21:51
Frostbyte

Quote: Instead of using a bunch of labels, you can create a list to keep track of the addresses, and then use that list to reach them. Like this:

.var ldas = List()

.macro the_macro_that_creates_the_code() {
.eval ldas.add(* + 1)
lda #0
sta $d020
}

Then, further down in the code:

.macro the_macro_that_refers_to_the_created_code() {
.for (var i = 0; i < ldas.size(); i++) {
lda colors + i,x
sta ldas.get(i)
}
}

Ahhh of course, brilliant! Thank you! I haven't tried it yet, but I can already see it solves my problem. :)
2023-08-09 22:35
Slammer

This is probably one of the most asked questions. There are different ways to handle these kind of cases one of them is shown by Trident. Let me point you to another feature that solves it quite nicely.

Normally, when you want label1, label2, etc. the labels are inside a loop, like:
	spriteLoop: .for (var i=0; i<8; i++) {
		lda data: #0    // <- Fancy inbetween label declaration so you dont need +1
		sta $07f8+i
	}

You can now use the 'spriteLoop' label to access the 'data' labels of the different iterations of the loop like this:
	lda #0
	sta spriteLoop[0].data  // Sprite 0   
	sta spriteLoop[1].data  // Sprite 1   
	sta spriteLoop[2].data  // Sprite 2

// Or simply .for (var i=0; i<8; i++) sta spriteLoop[i].data

If you want to do a table with the addresses, simply:
	addrTable: .fill  8, <spriteLoop[i].data  

You can access the labels of an executed macros by putting a label in front of the execution, just like we did with the .for loop.
2023-08-09 22:40
Slammer

With regards to the dicussion earlier in the thread. Several years ago I moved the main feedback/support channel of Kick Assembler to the following facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/RetroAssembler

This was to ensure a forum were the discussion where not interupted by other things. You are welcome to join regardless of which assembler you are using.

(Please notice that I do not visit this CSDb thread often).
2023-08-10 12:49
Frostbyte

Quote: With regards to the dicussion earlier in the thread. Several years ago I moved the main feedback/support channel of Kick Assembler to the following facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/RetroAssembler

This was to ensure a forum were the discussion where not interupted by other things. You are welcome to join regardless of which assembler you are using.

(Please notice that I do not visit this CSDb thread often).

Yesterday I sent a request to join that group, but it's still pending. :)
2023-08-10 12:54
Frostbyte

Quote: This is probably one of the most asked questions. There are different ways to handle these kind of cases one of them is shown by Trident. Let me point you to another feature that solves it quite nicely.

Normally, when you want label1, label2, etc. the labels are inside a loop, like:
	spriteLoop: .for (var i=0; i<8; i++) {
		lda data: #0    // <- Fancy inbetween label declaration so you dont need +1
		sta $07f8+i
	}

You can now use the 'spriteLoop' label to access the 'data' labels of the different iterations of the loop like this:
	lda #0
	sta spriteLoop[0].data  // Sprite 0   
	sta spriteLoop[1].data  // Sprite 1   
	sta spriteLoop[2].data  // Sprite 2

// Or simply .for (var i=0; i<8; i++) sta spriteLoop[i].data

If you want to do a table with the addresses, simply:
	addrTable: .fill  8, <spriteLoop[i].data  

You can access the labels of an executed macros by putting a label in front of the execution, just like we did with the .for loop.

Nice! As in my scenario I don't know how many labels I'll end up with, I suppose in the second loop I could also iterate while i < spriteLoop.size()? (in other words, compiler considers spriteLoop as an array or list?)
Previous - 1 | ... | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Quetzal/Chrome
Exile/Anubis
kbs/Pht/Lxt
Sentinel/Excess/TREX
Mr. Spock/T'Pau
Ghost/Quantum