Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Group id #1080 : Italian Cracking Service
2017-05-19 18:00
bugjam

Group id #1080 : Italian Cracking Service

Some questions fo the Italian veterans: according to the scroller in Afterburner +F [us version] , North Italy Cracking Service was a member/sub-group of ICS then?
Another question: the scroller mentions a member called "Filippetto". Could that be Tiger ? Like another nick?
And the scrollwriter refers to himself as part of "us" - "the godfathers". Does that mean The Godfathers was a subgroup in its own right, or is it mayberather referring to certain core members of ICS?

... 15 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2017-05-21 13:30
The Overkiller
Account closed

Thx Mat to have accepted my request to write your point of view ... I also told about this topic to Tiger and Hitman, let's see if they'll pop-up :)
2017-05-21 14:36
Mat

Maybe I was wrong.. the game was F1Gp Circuit from Ideasoft :-)
2017-05-21 21:56
Smasher

Ciao Mat, thanks for your post. just 2 things:
- the story is not about who was the first on a particular game, who was the fastest or who was the coolest around. to be honest: we didn't care back in 1990 and we'd be mad & stupid if we care today. the discussion here is about ICS reputation. so, IMHO, you and Tiger could have been the best crackers/coders of all times but I still believe that one bad apple spoils the whole barrel. in this case the bad apple was Wildcat and the barrel ICS.
- wildcat's lame recracks were not just rumors. you can have a look in the memory of ICS "crack" of Lupo Alberto and read ARM there, or read F4CG in at least a couple of other games. sigh! just check FAW notes for this 25+ yrs old story.
2017-05-22 10:35
Flavioweb

I've been in touch with Mamasoft from '88 to '90.
I thought all ICS was like Marco was: skilled people, well organized inside a group.
I -swapped- a lot of stuff with him, talking to the phone as well, because we have never met in person.
We talked a lot about how he cracked games.
I remember a time when he was angry because i asked him if he knew how to use an Action Replay...
He told me to do everything by hand, and tried to explain to me a method that at the time, unfortunately, i could not understand.
He sended me a lot of "work disks", containig among other things, some sources (in Turbo Assembler format) of intros (like the -starfield- one) and tools selfcoded by Mamasoft.
I also recived some "music disks" originally made to be presented at Systems Editoriale (the editor of "Commodore Computer Club", the official Commodore Italian magazine), which contained some tunes made by Marco but never published. I was convinced he was a great coder and a good musician, at least as long Ian told me that tunes in "Waterfall" are lame rip-off of other tunes...
I was surprised to find here the game "Waterfall" cracked from something "oficially released" because, i recall, Marco was working on the game when he died.
My doubts increased when i could not find any picture of the original game package.
Maybe someone assembled an "non official" game with ripped musics, just to release it -on the wild-?
I think i can talk without being contradicted if i say people like Tiger, Mat and Mamasoft are Talented Sceners, even though the group was managed by people like Wildcat, which contributed only to giving a bad reputation.
Unfortunately i lost all my old disks so i can't check things now, but i'm still hoping that someone, somewhere have a copy of Mamasoft disks, at least just to see again the sources written by him.
2017-05-22 19:07
Dr.Strange

Some interesting stories about Wildcat here FAW Is Back and the rest of the infamous "cooljobs" here Federation Against Wildcat.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Shogoon/Elysium/MSL
Low Spirit
celticdesign/G★P/M..
TMA/Abyss-Connection
bugjam
algorithm