Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Event id #2636 : Crack Intro Music Competition 2017
2017-09-29 13:46
Didi

Event id #2636 : Crack Intro Music Competition 2017

After the geat success in 2013, the time has come for another Crack Intro Music Competition!

Several people have asked for it and finally it happens.

This time I have a skilled co-organizer with Jammer.

Competition runs from September 29, 2017, until October 29, 2017. So you have a full month to deliver your creations.

Please use this thread for questions, discussion and everything else concerning this competition.

THE RULES (same as in 2013, worked very well):
- max. playtime 1:00 min. (PAL playing speed), then repeat or fade.
- max. size: $1000 bytes (preferably located in memory at $1000-$2000)
- single speed only
- no SID model preference (should sound good on all SID models)
- must be handed in as executable format .sid or .prg (might be embedded in .t64 or .d64)
- no graphics or even intro-like presentation is allowed to be included.
- Productions using the music might be released after the voting deadline. The voting should be focused on the music itself.
- the participating musics may not have been released or used in a public production before.
- multiple entries per musician allowed.

Deadline for entry submission is October 29, 2017 at 23:59:59 (11:59:59 pm).
Voting closes one week later at November 6, 2017 at 23:59:59 (11:59:59 pm).
Voting platform is CSDb (with all disadvantages it may have), therefore entries have to be posted here.
Entries will be ranked by weighted average of CSDb votes. Entries with the same weighted average are ranked by their percentages of 10s, 9s, etc.

No prices to win, just the fame. May the best creation win!

... 146 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2017-10-02 22:27
Scarzix

\o/ !!!
2017-10-03 18:08
Mekong

Have to agree with what other guys said, the only constraint in such a compo should be filesize. That's how I've always picked tunes for use in my releases. If one is skilled enough to cram in a solo that shows up after 2 minutes, the better. Loop/fade should not be a demand either, sometimes you may want the intro to hit and run. It sure is cool that in 2013 people complied with these rules, but some of the most legendary introtunes that have actually been used by crackers, from eg. Hubbard or Laxity, wouldn't have qualified here, which is silly.
2017-10-03 18:48
DKT

IMO there is no (should not be) tech difference between "Crack Intro Music" or "Any other Music", just taste/mood matters ;)
For a good music I will spend additional bytes in intro and try to find space for it in mem no matter what. "Intro music" idea without any restrictions should give enough info "how it should look like for me".
2017-10-03 19:07
DKT

And why "- single speed only" !? /o\
2017-10-03 19:26
Didi

Rules are set for this compo. Any discussion may influence upcoming compos, but not the running one.

At least european cracking groups always tried to keep their cracks as short as possible. That's why the size of the intro also mattered and they tried to make it cool but short as well. There are lots of small intromusics far below the limit of this compo.

Single speed: Usually crack intros do hot have rastertime to waste therefore use single speed music.

Good sounding on both SID models is a challenge for the composers, accept it or leave it. Some demos have dedicated music for both SID models but there is no space for this in a tiny little intro.
2017-10-04 17:12
Richard

Submitted my first entry 'RasterTime'. Made in Cheesecutter V2.8, and hopefully it should fit to the music compo rules :)

Short 'n sweet. I hope :)
2017-10-04 21:20
Magnar

- no graphics or even intro-like presentation is allowed to be included.

This is a silly rule! Nobody obeys it anyway.

Mermaid is animating text from her musicplayer on the screen like a intro-like presentation. Jammer is using graphical font to make his text look better, not using c64 font. People are using PSID64 with flashing color lines in a intro-like presentation...

And what the heck, according the rules it should be blank/black screens from everyone?!?!??!

Please take this rule away.
2017-10-05 05:26
lft

Hmm, indeed "blank screen" would have been a less ambiguous rule. Or "static text only, using the ROM font". Or SID format. Those are some ideas for next year's compo.

On the topic of length limit vs. just a filesize limit, I think that a "tiny music compo" (with a blank screen) would be fun. But that would be a coder's compo, or possibly a toolchain compo. I think that the 1-minute limit is a good challenge for musicians, and clearly a lot of good stuff is coming out of it.

I actually think it's more interesting to have a strict 1:00 limit (because it is so frustratingly close to 1:01.29, which is 3*8 bars in tempo 4). It helps us to break free from familiar molds.

But, well, maybe we need two compos for looping tunes. A 1-minute compo, and a filesize compo. And then maybe it is the latter that should be called a "crack intro music" compo.
2017-10-05 07:17
Krill

Quoting lft
it's more interesting to have a strict 1:00 limit (because it is so frustratingly close to 1:01.29, which is 3*8 bars in tempo 4). It helps us to break free from familiar molds.
What about tunes with different track lengths, then? Say, voice 1 looping at 1:00 sharp, voice 2 a bit before that, and voice 3 again a bit earlier? Technically it loops at 1:00, but the whole tune can go into interesting variations as it goes on. Stuff like this has been done, but not often, and possibly not to perfection. :)
2017-10-05 07:31
Mermaid

Quote: - no graphics or even intro-like presentation is allowed to be included.

This is a silly rule! Nobody obeys it anyway.

Mermaid is animating text from her musicplayer on the screen like a intro-like presentation. Jammer is using graphical font to make his text look better, not using c64 font. People are using PSID64 with flashing color lines in a intro-like presentation...

And what the heck, according the rules it should be blank/black screens from everyone?!?!??!

Please take this rule away.

I've now had people complaining to me about my tune because "no demo effects allowed!"

I really didn't see that one coming, didn't think anyone considered displaying the code and data onscreen to show the memory usage an "intro-like presentation" - to me it's more like using raster bars to show the raster time usage.

So wait, does this mean that in my next demo I can show the music code on the screen for a bit and it will shut up all those who complain about my demos having no effects...?
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | ... | 16 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Acidchild/Padua
Slaxx/Q/HF
Sumaleth/Pearl
jmin
Guests online: 209
Top Demos