Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > Who needs Timanthes anywy.
2014-06-25 08:25
Carrion

Who needs Timanthes anywy.

First of all... Timanthes rules it's a great tool.

... but lately I started to use a method/process using Photoshop to achieve 8bit pixel art. The technique gives you control over everything from dithering to color rams plus all PS tools/filters.
IMHO the results are amazing. I think It could be a ultimate converting tool or more precisely a great tool for prototyping/sketching.
The only problem for demoscene could be that results are IMO so good it's hard to tell if it's wired or not.

Take a look:
http://crrnpixels.tumblr.com/post/89843863323/using-photoshop-f..
To convert picture made by Made it took me 10 minutes.

more examples here
http://crrnpixels.tumblr.com/

Please keep in mind that in the examples on the blog no single pixel was put by me. All magic was done by Photoshop.

In next few days I'll post more on my blog describing the method itself.
2014-06-25 09:27
Mr. SID

Amazing, I always suspected that something like that should be possible, but I never managed to do it myself.

I'm very keen on finding out more about this!
2014-06-25 09:47
Flavioweb

Ok, but these gfx can be produced as c64 executables?
For 'the scene' isn't sufficient that some gfx -seems- painted on a c64... we need these pics as prgs running on a stock c64...
2014-06-25 11:56
The Phantom

This is really interesting.
2014-06-25 12:48
Carrion

and here's how it works
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL13LKIhwPI
2014-06-25 13:02
Oswald

a plus4 version of either P1 or thimanthes could do those converts. Most of the pics are just gradients. Also the wider palette (compared to c64) helps a lot to make them look nice. and also probably you picked the best ones from many experiments. :)

It's cool though if you found a way (scripting?) to apply c64/plus4 restrictions in a PS filter. with control over all aspects.

edit: the video is more ammazing than the results. what are the details on control of color attributes ?
2014-06-25 13:25
Stainless Steel

So that's how you do it :D
2014-06-25 13:47
Carrion

@stainless:
yup :) all that years I was using this magic trick

@oswald
the main idea is to use adjustments layers (this is how they are called in PS)
- 1 layer in the stack makes everythink B/W so we are sure we have 8 shades of grey
- 2nd layer makes so called posterisation (in our terms it cuts colors to the number you specify)
- 3rd layer adds your color ramp of choice

- but IMO the real magin is the dither layer which is no more no less but chessboard pattern all over the picture. the method of applying the layer which is "overlay" in PS controlos how many of the chessboard you want to add to the below layers... now imagine you can do other patterns too circles? lines? all you want.

thats almost it - there no more trick, but with some experimentig you discover you can mask some parts of dither or you can add more color ramps here and there... plus
add the "gradient" painting on the bottom and this is all I ever needed.
I mean Timanthes gives layers and some nice tricks too but my workflow was always faster with PS and now I can use all trick I know for PS.

I hope some graphicians will join the discussion because I want to hear from them the opinions

please remember this is the method invented by a guy named Dan Fessler.
on my blog you can find link to his original article. he call this method HD indexed painting.

ps
oh oswald and btw: these are the first ones I converted.
just yesterday talking to algorithm on IRC I took his picture he provided from gogle images and converted it in 2 minutes,
wanna challange me?
2014-06-25 13:59
algorithm

Very nice method and indeed the pictures look less wired. I loved that Hulk picture in the example you had posted.

With some experimentation in other dither patterns, can probably get some more unique results. What is indeed great here is that all the photoshop tools can be used which convert on the fly to the c64 colors with dither.

Ofcourse the attribute issues would have to manually be corrected after final conversion. Great technique
2014-06-25 14:04
Oswald

Carrion, I have an algorithm, which I believe always finds the optimal dither colors, so it's not restricted to manual gradients - instead reinvents by itself (!) gradients used by c64 gfxians. ;)

so drop a picture original and let's compare :) (dst is c64) but probably you'll have to wait till tommorow. work is over now, and I'm not sure I have this code at home.
2014-06-25 14:11
jailbird

Doesn't seems to me that it takes restrictions into account, right?

Also, at first glance, I've seen much better converting algorithms when it comes to dithering (ordered checkerboard? meh.) and color-schemes, so it doesn't excites me too much.

From a perspective of a graphician who still prefers the "old way" of pixelling where most of the pixels are set by hand: yet another marginally interesting toy for manipulating images. May be useful for quick concept-art and brainstorming, though.

... 45 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
kbs/Pht/Lxt
acrouzet/G★P
Scooby/G★P/Light
QuasaR/CENTRiC
Krill/Plush
trident