Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user megasoftargentina ! (Registered 2024-04-16) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > Double Screen Compo Voting
2011-05-08 15:10
v3to

Double Screen Compo Voting

Okay - all entries are in and it is time for voting.

Take your time and check the pictures properly. If you like to check it on a C64, I'd recommend to turn off the volume, because music tends to alter atmosphere. Now here come the rules:

---
CHOOSE 3 FAVORITES - NO MORE - NO LESS
SEND YOUR CHOICE VIA PM TO ENTHUSI OR ME
OR BY MAIL TO << COMPO[AT SPAMSUCKS]C64PIXELS[DOT]COM >>
PLEASE DO NOT FORGET YOUR HANDLE/GROUP OR NAME
---

Deadline for voting is June 7th 2011 (know it is a long term but c64pixels-visitors are watching random)

Good luck to all contestants !

---
Looking Outward by Celtic, code by Zielok
Additional content according compo rules: Music
Format: MultiColor

---
Monroe 6569 by Diggr
Format: Charmode

---
Asteroidmine by Grass, code by Cruzer

---
The Raven by Dane
Additional content according compo rules: Dark red and dark grey are laced

---
CARGO by Twoflower, code by Cruzer
Additional content according compo rules: Music
Picture format: MultiColor, 4-colors, Colorscheme is matching Charmode

---
A Kind of Magic by Yazoo, code by Axis
Additional content according compo rules: Music, scrolltext (can be disabled by pressing spacebar)
Picture format: MultiColor

... 195 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2011-05-09 09:56
irwin
Account closed

^^ What Mermaid said.
2011-05-09 09:57
enthusi

Kudos to the compo participants who managed to get two fullscreen gfx done in time.
Not to forget the required scroll routines.
I really like the obvious mixture of entries (total lack of boobs and dragsons even).
The voting rules are strict by the way. Only votes that name 3 entries will be counted.
All information about the entries is given here:
http://c64pixels.com/compo/doublescreen

If you rank your votes (so far everyone who voted, did) the votes will be weighted (3:2:1 first to third),
otherwise each of the 3 named entries receives 2 points.

You are entitled not to vote of course ;-) but in particular this approach gains alot by many voters.

I see none of the artists who contributed nagging around - maybe they live a happier life, hehe?
For general happyness I suggest to participate next time...

Cheers and thanks again for those who contributed and thanks in advance for the voters who
appreciate the entries.

All votes as PM here to me or veto or via email.

enthusi :)
2011-05-09 10:32
Mermaid

Quote:
I see none of the artists who contributed nagging around - maybe they live a happier life, hehe?
For general happyness I suggest to participate next time...

Really? For general happyness? How exactly would it make Hedning happier to take part in a competition against copied and wired pictures, considering he expressed the exact opposite opinion in his post above?

As for describing someone's perfectly valid opinion on the matter as "nagging around", well, no comment.
2011-05-09 11:35
Radiant

This whole "copying other people's work without telling the audience about it is fine, stop nagging" attitude is kinda lame, IMO.
2011-05-09 11:43
Cruzer

Copying other people's work to C64 is definitely ok, since it's an art in itself to make it look good, especially in limited modes like this. But of course you should admit it right away instead of getting "busted" afterwards.
2011-05-09 11:45
Celtic
Administrator

I'd like to add that yes, i did a copy, but before enterring i explained to veto how i did the pic, and asked if it was appropriate. Also my pic is tagged on c64pixels with the original artist and production company so it can easily be found.

Yes, i copy, and therefor a pic by f.e. Grass is way more impressive then mine.

I would like to state that most 98% of the pics i do are wirejobs/converts etc.etc. I still spend hours and hours on them refining, adding pixels, removing pixels, etc. but i wanted it out there so i dont get accused for anything in the future.

and lastly: besides 4 or 5 extremely gifted pixellers like mermaid and i think STE , I think loads of people use this method. I am wondering who would like to claim or state that they never do this r have done it.
2011-05-09 11:48
Ksubi
Account closed

Maybe next time the competition could be of one default picture and everyone does their own version of it? Anyway, some fine art work here, congrats to everyone who entered.
2011-05-09 11:51
Digger

Guys, chillax a bit before the flamewar begins again. It's all about fun.

The original author of my pic (NOEEKO) was listed under the entry on the c64pixels.com website so it was no secret it was a convert from the very beginning.

Now, the trick is how do you squeeze thousands (if not million) colours palette into 11 colours (hires/multi char mode) and still preserve the high quality of the original image. It took me a lot of hours (besides coding my own pixel editor and displayer) to tidy up pixels and make the details looking good. Haven't added anything from myself as I wasn't supposed to – have asked the author for permission to USE his work but nor REMIX.

I made the pic merely to challenge myself in the strange mode and after 12 years of not pixelling anything.
2011-05-09 12:04
Mermaid

Cruzer: In general I agree (especially the bit about showing the original right away), but I'm not convinced that it is ok to submit a copy to a graphics competition. I still have a problem with that - I'm fairly sure most people don't just look at the pixeling and execution when they judge a picture, they also look at the motif, the composition etc. - no matter how impressive a c64 copy is technically it is still a copy of someone else's work. To me personally it is infinitely more interesting to see a picture that someone came up with themselves, even if the anatomy is a bit off.

Celtic: I don't believe that "almost everyone does it anyway" is a good excuse. Yes, by all means go ahead and copy (and I mean *copy*, not retouch scans) great artists, that is a great way to get better at drawing and learning about anatomy and such. I have no problem with that, it'd be nice to see the original pics though. But is it really necessary to submit those (practice) copies to a competition and possibly beat people who came up with their own motives from scratch? Why not come up with something yourself?
2011-05-09 12:18
Celtic
Administrator

Quote: Cruzer: In general I agree (especially the bit about showing the original right away), but I'm not convinced that it is ok to submit a copy to a graphics competition. I still have a problem with that - I'm fairly sure most people don't just look at the pixeling and execution when they judge a picture, they also look at the motif, the composition etc. - no matter how impressive a c64 copy is technically it is still a copy of someone else's work. To me personally it is infinitely more interesting to see a picture that someone came up with themselves, even if the anatomy is a bit off.

Celtic: I don't believe that "almost everyone does it anyway" is a good excuse. Yes, by all means go ahead and copy (and I mean *copy*, not retouch scans) great artists, that is a great way to get better at drawing and learning about anatomy and such. I have no problem with that, it'd be nice to see the original pics though. But is it really necessary to submit those (practice) copies to a competition and possibly beat people who came up with their own motives from scratch? Why not come up with something yourself?

Before i say anything: we are all old enough to make this an interesting discussion without flamewars or angry comments. So i am quite sure that wont happen. Besides, i think all participating posters have a pretty decent relationship with eachother, no angryness or hatred there.
Perhaps it is time to have another of these discussion, it's been a while.

Mermaid: perhaps it is not a good excuse. But i dont use it as an excuse. I do this pixelling for fun, and i think it is fun to make something that looks nice, wethere it is mine or not. And well, when they would be 100% mine, usually they suck donkey balls :) but thats a whole other thing.

But yes, maybe i should rethink my enterring future competitions, coz in the end in this compo i admire Yazoo's and Grass's handyworks the most. I guess in the end it is a question of ethics, and i will need to think about it, wether or not i should be enterring or not.

Also, i think this discussion is good because for the next competitions the rules should state some clarity about this way of pixelling, and how it effects the competition.

Lastly: my pic took me about 12-14 hours (this is an estimate) to complete. a lot of time pixelling the errors out, making it looks nice, and well, i call it repixelling. The sides are mine, but indeed that was a minimal effort, and not worth taking into account.

lastly2: vanja, could you make a fading pic (from original to c64 pic) for mine like you did with Dane's. I am trying to do that myself, but it aint working, and i would really like to see how that would look :)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | ... | 21 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
eryngi
kbs/Pht/Lxt
Guests online: 83
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)