Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > Double Screen Compo Voting
2011-05-08 15:10
v3to

Double Screen Compo Voting

Okay - all entries are in and it is time for voting.

Take your time and check the pictures properly. If you like to check it on a C64, I'd recommend to turn off the volume, because music tends to alter atmosphere. Now here come the rules:

---
CHOOSE 3 FAVORITES - NO MORE - NO LESS
SEND YOUR CHOICE VIA PM TO ENTHUSI OR ME
OR BY MAIL TO << COMPO[AT SPAMSUCKS]C64PIXELS[DOT]COM >>
PLEASE DO NOT FORGET YOUR HANDLE/GROUP OR NAME
---

Deadline for voting is June 7th 2011 (know it is a long term but c64pixels-visitors are watching random)

Good luck to all contestants !

---
Looking Outward by Celtic, code by Zielok
Additional content according compo rules: Music
Format: MultiColor

---
Monroe 6569 by Diggr
Format: Charmode

---
Asteroidmine by Grass, code by Cruzer

---
The Raven by Dane
Additional content according compo rules: Dark red and dark grey are laced

---
CARGO by Twoflower, code by Cruzer
Additional content according compo rules: Music
Picture format: MultiColor, 4-colors, Colorscheme is matching Charmode

---
A Kind of Magic by Yazoo, code by Axis
Additional content according compo rules: Music, scrolltext (can be disabled by pressing spacebar)
Picture format: MultiColor

... 195 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2011-05-09 14:26
Luca

^^ What Mace said.
Plus, results will tell us everything we need to.
Besides, incidentally my votes to next JSL pics will magically raise +1 :)
2011-05-09 14:40
chatGPZ

there are two pictures in the compo that bloody scream "LOOK HOW I WAS CONVERTED!!!!!!!!". one of them was repeatedly praised as original art in this thread. and the other is just dull and a slap in the face of every compo organiser, IMHO.

thumbs up for yazoo (and jsl) :)

2011-05-09 14:43
v3to

http://c64pixels.com/celtic/lookingoutward
http://c64pixels.com/dane/raven
2011-05-09 18:51
Deev

I think what I found a bit frustrating viewing all these entries is that I spent quite a lot of time trying to come up with an original entry, but in the end, couldn't create something I was happy with, so decided not to enter at all. If I'd have just gone down the copy route, that process would've taken 15 mins and from then on it's just a case of doing a decent pixel job, which I'm pretty comfortable with.

I know I've released my fair share of copies in past, though it's a LONG time since I released a straight copy into a compo.
2011-05-09 18:55
Mace

What kept me from entering the compo was mainly that I thought I had no time pixeling something.

Then, at one moment very close to the deadline, I thought: well, what the hell, I just join in with a converted picture, just for having entered in a GFX compo, while I consider myself more of a coder.

At the very last moment I decided not to submit my convert, just because it felt 'note done' to join in wihtout too much effort.

Wish I had :-)
Then again, luckily I didn't.
Now I can just use it as a demo part in one of my upcoming productions :-D

That said, I think that not many (if any) of the competitors made good use of two screens.
They just spread the picture without making use of the effect of a partly hidden picture at first sight...
2011-05-09 18:58
Deev

I should add that when I say "all" these entires, I mean the straight copied ones, of course!
2011-05-09 22:35
Sander

Quote:

It's like learning to ride a bike in a way. Pure converts is a bit like sitting in your dad's bicycle basket. Retouching a scan is more like riding a tricycle. Copying something by hand is like riding a bike with support wheels. So get off the tricycle and give that bike with support wheels a try.

Beautiful metaphore indeed. And i completely agree on this point of view.
There's a whole spectrum between work from e.g. DATA-LAND (spectrum title screen conversions) and original artwork from e.g. Electric.
2011-05-10 08:40
v3to

this weeks motto: oliver, you have created a monster
(sorry for the quote, steve)

discussing the wired entries is good and hopefully a long term eye opener. you can blame me in person that there have been no exclusion in the rules for this - though i barely believe that i.e. workstages would change much (bzzz... subconsciousness mode... breakpoint2010... heidi??). take a closer look at recent major compos and you will see that this is a case of ignorance for years. also i do not believe that this would have solved the low attendance, which is the other big problem here. btw i requested the originals for tagging on c64pixels (obviously nobody noticed). except dane's, guess why.

what we have here is a competition with limited attention. thanks to this there are two original artworks, two elaborate copies and two 1:1 converts. the voting is about selecting 50% of them. if this still requires a compromise in your eyes, you may weight your choice.

please support the sceners who spent their free time for this competition. please vote.

ps: i have deep respect for you, celtic, facing the tribunal is anything but granted.
2011-05-10 09:14
Yazoo

you did not create a monster :) the compo just revealed once again, that alot of ppl want to go the easy way these days. and when i check out some of the votes, alot of other szeners dont seem to care.
now we had this discussion again - which is good. we should have this discussion more often... when i remember the big gfx-competition @ x'10 party, i think more than 50% of all those pictures are based on scans with good or not so good touching up.

what i hope is, that the voters and commenters at csdb (and compovoters ofcoz) will be a little more sensitised, and award those - who put alot of their time into creating something special on their own.
because when votes are low, and comments are less friendly for pure scans - they will more and more dissappear i bet.

so i am more pointing my finger at those, giving high votes for obvious scans than towards the "artists" making them. you guys are the reason for 1:1 scans being existent. its part of human being to want the easy way with getting success (not cool, but just normal i guess.)
so i wish the voters and commenters would make them less successful.

i mean, check out the votes for some of those "pictures"... some of them are really high.

and i dont say that, because i want anyones votes for my pic, just because i spent like 25-30 hours for it. i say this, because i would like to see the szene change a bit (which wont happen most likely).
when i want to see a most perfect copy of a photo i wouldnt need a c64 at all - i could just stick to my pc.

respect to all those, who keep spending their time with real pixelling.

just my 2 cents.
2011-05-10 10:55
celticdesign

isn't it pretty "lame" if a graphican do scanning/digitizing pictures!?! any artistical work should be unique and not be a more or less simple copy... hmmm ok, unless you do a well improved version (the same counts for music).

however, i adjust my votings now... so yazoo should be the true winner of this compo :-)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | ... | 21 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
megasoftargentina
CA$H/TRiAD
Viti/Hokuto Force
Rick/F4CG
moraff/Panic/Gorbat ..
Exile/Anubis