Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Composing > HardSID & USB 2.0
2005-11-08 18:26
Bamu®
Account closed

HardSID & USB 2.0

Hi,

I'm looking for something like HardSID, but can be connected with USB 2.0 etc.
In this way I real SID-power could be used even on Laptops.

... 16 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2015-01-22 19:23
Isildur

@Stein, thanks - great news. Can't understand why Sidblaster is discontinued - such a handy device.
2015-01-22 22:09
booker
Account closed

Quote: How fast CPU's have you tested with (if thats an issue at all) - to me an external SID solution, especially dual SID would be interesting at some point.

I know that HardSID developers didnt want to waste money on certifying the drivers for newer Windows editions and 64-bit.

Not sure what more there is to do with HardSID in the future or am I wrong?

Hi, they did 64bit driver, however it's unsigned so you need to bypass this part with Windows.

List of software is here https://www.facebook.com/pages/HardSID/83072518350?fref=ts

As to CPU speed I actually haven't thought it can be of any problem. I've used it with Centrino vPro 2 some 2GHz (can't recall now) - no issues as to the device itself.

What's more to do? OSX / Linux drivers :)P
2015-01-23 07:27
Grue

http://sid.fi/~grue/hardsid/

There's instructions how to get hardsid4 driver installed into 64bit windows. This method works also in forthcoming windows 10 (tested in virtual machine)
2015-01-28 18:59
Dano

@grue: trying it out at weasel's place. Yet we get a "signtool error: missing filename" when signing the sys file. Interwebs dont spit too much on that..

Any help on getting the driver signed?

Why not put a signed driver on for convenient download anyway?
2015-01-29 07:10
Grue

Try to change this:

signtool sign /v /s "Self Signed Drivers" /n "Self Signed Drivers" hardsidusb_x64.sys

into this:

signtool sign /v /s "Self Signed Drivers" hardsidusb_x64.sys

and please report if it works that I can change the instructions :)
2015-01-29 13:40
Dano

Well i am 99% sure we tried about every possible mixture of the parameters including this one.

Even articles i found online seem to propose the same parameters and everything. So it actually should work.. Mhmpf..

We tried /debug to show more information and it seemed somehow that the certificate didn't fit the file.

Yet we always got that "SignTool Error: Missing filename".

Did add the line something like "CertMgr ..... trustedpublisher".

Must admit i never worked with SignTool before, so i don't have any experience with it.

Does this TestSigning ON have to be switched on all the time? I am pretty sure the drivers in that mode even worked without having to sign them.. May be my rusted memories telling me wrong there.
2015-01-29 13:47
Xenox

Quote: Hi, they did 64bit driver, however it's unsigned so you need to bypass this part with Windows.

List of software is here https://www.facebook.com/pages/HardSID/83072518350?fref=ts

As to CPU speed I actually haven't thought it can be of any problem. I've used it with Centrino vPro 2 some 2GHz (can't recall now) - no issues as to the device itself.

What's more to do? OSX / Linux drivers :)P

OSX drivers? YES, PLEASE!!!
2015-01-30 12:23
Grue

Quote: Well i am 99% sure we tried about every possible mixture of the parameters including this one.

Even articles i found online seem to propose the same parameters and everything. So it actually should work.. Mhmpf..

We tried /debug to show more information and it seemed somehow that the certificate didn't fit the file.

Yet we always got that "SignTool Error: Missing filename".

Did add the line something like "CertMgr ..... trustedpublisher".

Must admit i never worked with SignTool before, so i don't have any experience with it.

Does this TestSigning ON have to be switched on all the time? I am pretty sure the drivers in that mode even worked without having to sign them.. May be my rusted memories telling me wrong there.

Yes, testmode needs to be enabled.

I also have disabled UAC in my setup, dunno if it has any difference on this issue.
2015-01-30 12:26
chatGPZ

Quote:
Why not put a signed driver on for convenient download anyway?

the self signed driver only works on the machine it was signed on - maybe that is the problem?
2015-01-30 12:32
Scarzix

this is exactly why you cant make a self-signed driver public available, because you "trust" the driver locally within your own "domain" aka the current Windows installation.

So installing this on your second Windows machine wouldn't work either unless you self-sign from that machine too.

(or at least thats how I think it works based on what I have been told so far)

The idea with public certification is that we know who the author/sender is and unfortunately these certificates costs to maintain.

Ofcause if we wanted, we could all donate to a shared certification so they could sign it.

Hehe... I am thinking "Commodore64Certificate" that would be rather cool to have installed in my Windows machines.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Alakran_64
CA$H/TRiAD
JEZ
moraff/Panic/Gorbat ..
Smasher/F4CG
Rick/F4CG