Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Composing > timeline of SID achievements
2009-04-08 11:51
goto80

timeline of SID achievements

I'm looking for a timeline of SID achievements. Does this exist? A list of important software (trackers and non-trackers, midi-sequencers and midi-slaves, sample-players and "drum machines", generatives, remix-tools, etc) and SID-tricks (playing digi-stuff, multispeed, hardrestart, etc). Who, where, when, how, why. I think a timeline over these things would be important to put together, if it doesn't already exist.

(I work on a timeline of chip music in general here: chipflip.wordpress.com/timeline. It is far from finished, of course. Suggestions are very welcome)

... 75 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2009-04-13 10:14
Turtle
Account closed

Quote: Yes, soundmonitor is the first tracker.

Hmm i have sprung a leak..
Jammaster III demo is just 1 chn it seems.. what is special about this player is that it plays samples forward/backwards in 16 different speeds..

From the deep dumps of my mem I recall some read that the lead part of Ballblazer's titlemusic is done using some sort of meldodic algorithm to sound different each time.
2009-04-14 03:27
SIDWAVE
Account closed

Hard restart: it seems we cannot say with 100% certainty who did it first.. Laxity informed me that JCH got help to do it from him, and that he himself peeked, maybe at Bjerregaards player..

So, who did it, remains a mystery.
2009-04-14 12:39
GT
Account closed

Define "Hard Restart"? Funny word by the way. I just wonder, because I just looked at it as clearing the Release in the gate off call, to get a more stable attack. You can even add other methods than just clearing the release to get stable ADSR inits. That's a secret. hehe. ;-)
2009-04-14 13:12
GT
Account closed

Hubbard's Zoids player has a hard-coded ADSR change on the gate off call, if no tie-note is chosen by the way. He was probably the first. He was also the first with waveform-table drums, that sounded good. Looks like Hubbard knew what he was doing.
2009-04-15 13:28
Frantic

The fact that not only (R)elease affects the internal envelope counter, but all of the ADSR parameters, and that you can also use the testbit to achieve snappier sounds in a usueful way in some cases is pretty much public knowledge I guess.. Dunno if that was what Geir was referring to, in general, or if it was something more specific...

I also know that setting a higher release than the currently active one (if the release phase is the currently active phase) will make the sound silent immediately (at least I read that somewhere - I should check it I guess).... Maybe that is useful for "hard-restarting" too?

Hmhmh...
2009-04-15 14:15
GT
Account closed

Quote: The fact that not only (R)elease affects the internal envelope counter, but all of the ADSR parameters, and that you can also use the testbit to achieve snappier sounds in a usueful way in some cases is pretty much public knowledge I guess.. Dunno if that was what Geir was referring to, in general, or if it was something more specific...

I also know that setting a higher release than the currently active one (if the release phase is the currently active phase) will make the sound silent immediately (at least I read that somewhere - I should check it I guess).... Maybe that is useful for "hard-restarting" too?

Hmhmh...

Hi Frantic. No I am not reffering to test-bit. That's different and won't close the ADSR envelope, but reset the waveform envelope (inside the chip). Setting a higher Release won't close it either, but a higher Sustain than the current will close it, but still you need a few frames for that. The best would be if one of us wrote a little tool to show the ADSR reaction. I've used different methods in the past to handle "hard restart", even a method that the first Sidplay couldn't handle. I think this was by setting a higher Sustain instead of using Release, that wasn't emulated by Sidplay. This led to the "hard restart" snuffling (if that's the word for it?).
2009-04-15 14:25
Steppe

Which tune are you referring to, Geir? I'd like to hear how your "snuffling" sounds. ;-)
2009-04-15 15:51
GT
Account closed

Quote: Which tune are you referring to, Geir? I'd like to hear how your "snuffling" sounds. ;-)

Hi Steppe. Mostly all tunes from 1990/1991. You could try famestyle.sid, melodious.sid etc.. I clearly remember Two Divided by Zero, cover by Trond Lindanger (IQ64). Also the sounds get cut off on tie-notes because of the ADSR trick. Hmm. famestyle.sid even has some bugs around 1:02 in the Filter (bad rip?) with Sidplay2/w
2009-04-15 17:49
GT
Account closed

Okay. I found versions from 1997-2002, and they bug. A good test tune is Two divided by Zero. Didn't like the Sidplay that much because of this in the past. Well, I achived to have written something that an emulator couldn't handle for quite some years. Hehe. :-)
2009-04-16 12:11
Frantic

@Geir: yeah.. sorry.. I was referring to Sustain of course. (..and yes, of course the testbit doesn't affect the ADSR per se, but many people still use it for similar purposes... ...as you already also know, of course. :)

What do you mean with "snuffling"? Didn't quite get that.

Regarding hard restart, Cadaver wrote a nice text about some aspects of this in that HVSC celebration mag/demo that was released just one or a few years ago. Someone should convert that into text and put it on Codebase. :)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
iAN CooG/HVSC
csio/monarchy c+4
Scooby/G★P/Light
pcollins/Quantum
megasoftargentina
Exile/Anubis