Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Date in search results
2011-09-10 21:40
bepp

Date in search results

It would be very helpful to have the date of the release in search results, especially for large result sets. Would make it quicker to pinpoint the actual release among the set.

... 12 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2013-09-14 22:46
iAN CooG

Quote:

Your search for 'scarzix' in SIDs found the following 28 results

I think you haven't actually understood, so I'll try one last time: Scrollwars tunes are NOT in HVSC#59, but on the update pack of HVSC#60 which is NOT released yet and NOT on CSDb.
OF COURSE you can't find them yet here, and not anywhere because they STILL NOT EXIST for the public, they are still on MY HD and other HVSC members HDs, they will be released in December, and after that Perff will update CSDb sid database with the HVSC#60 update, so they WILL be shown, but only then. And even if you add a downloadable sid file to an entry, and that's not in the sid database of CSDb, it won't be shown as SID search, because it's just another release file, they're not connected. In other words, the SID search on CSDb only knows the tunes that are in the current HVSC.
Quote:

A default result ought to show what a "scener" has produced or been part of, doesnt it?

If one searches for the scener Scarzix, he will find his entry with all the releases where he got some credit. if you search for SIDs, you only find those that are in the sid database, not those that don't exist yet. A music credit is one thing, a ripped sid is another.
If you search for a RELEASE named Scarzix, of course it won't show anything.
2013-09-15 06:43
Ejner

Perff: Thanks :-)

Scarzix: A search for Scarzix will give you 1 scener match and 28 SID matches. Click on the Scener match and you can see what you have been credited for... There are many recent 2013 credits :-)
2013-09-15 12:25
Scarzix

OMG! iAN CooG... did you code this search algoritme since you are making it about SID search all the time?

Now, I will try to explain the "problem" once more. Please READ and understand it, instead of trying to explain why HVSC isnt updated which has NOTHING to do with my question.

---------------------------------------------------------

As a "user of this website" I see a Search field in CSDb.dk

I put in the name of any person. I used myself as an example, lets say I used "Perff" instead. Then I would expect all the things he had released or credited within to show up - aka a list of search results. Hopefully sorted by date, so I could see what he had done recently and before etc.

Just checking, it actually DOES show what he has been credited in.

But if you, like me, is a musician too, the search result is suddently a whole other thing?!

I mentioned myself as example, only because I know what the expected result should look like. Not to complain, but to point out that the way is shows the result is a bit akward.

For me, it shows a link to my "scener" profile (not opening the profile as with Perff), so the results from within my profile aren't part of the search results.

lastly, now mentioning the SID issue as you keep refering to HVSC - could easily have been "mentioned" on CSDb.dk automatically, and perhaps just "mentioned" as they are registrated upon release and therefore are IN the database already. Not as part of HVSC, but as tunes linked to a composer.

My point is: when I search for something, I expect the search result to show me EVERYTHING possible regarding the topic I am searching for. Not a "perhaps I will show you a scener, perhaps a SID list, perhaps something else".

Imagine Google deciding to show me images only if I ever had uploade a Photo to Google+ and then I would have to click on my name to see the text results.

So. iAN CooG, this is NOT about ME, nor my SIDs, but what I would think a Search-engine would provide of search results, seeing it from a users point of perspective.

-----

I look forward to an answer not containing yet another explanation about why HVSC isnt updated yet etc. thats totally out of the context here... I think HVSC is an awesome add on to the community, but thats not what I am searching in from CSDb.dk is it? its the RELEASES of everything in the scene. So show me the results of EVERYTHING, dont list my "scene handle" and then a list of SIDs - the oppersite would be more logical.

Show the scener, and on this profile, list all the SIDs the person also had made... or the amount with a link to the list.

CSDb.dk is a database of releases, right? or did I miss something (again?)

-----

Another example: try searching for "Commando" - this brings up a great overview of releases... grouped into sections about cracks, groups, sceners, SIDs, even BBS matches - thats REALLY good, and how I would expect the search to work on any scener too.
2013-09-15 12:51
chatGPZ

actually i think the fact that it shows the SIDs in the "normal" search _at all_ is the bug here. and it shouldnt show even more, it should show less. ie a normal search should search in the entries names - no more no less. if you want to search credits, use advanced search or alternatively click on the link to the scener entry you found.

btw if you search for "perff" in normal search - it brings you straight to his scener entry, it doesnt show *anything* (because there exists exactly one entry in the db that matches the search query). basically this is what should happen everytime you search for a scener - unless there are two or more that match the search query
2013-09-15 14:57
iAN CooG

I still don't see what the problem is, use the dropdown menu, select Sceners instead of All, and it will find your entry and nothing else. If you leave All selected, the search will find anything that has the word you typed. If the search will find only one thing it will be opened directly, if it was a scener or a release name.
2013-09-15 15:52
Scarzix

If I let it stay with the default "all" selected, and write "scarzix", why isnt scrollwars in the search results shown? Why isnt Cheesecutter 2.5.0, why isnt Triad Release the Cheese music compo disk shown then?

btw. I agree with Groepaz, the list of SIDs shouldnt be shown in the "all" search. Only the amount of matches.

As long as I dont specifically select a scener as filter, I believe that anything containing the search terms should be found.
2013-09-15 16:04
chatGPZ

Quote:
If I let it stay with the default "all" selected, and write "scarzix", why isnt scrollwars in the search results shown? Why isnt Cheesecutter 2.5.0, why isnt Triad Release the Cheese music compo disk shown then?

because none of these contain "scarzix" in the entries name, as simple as that.
Quote:
As long as I dont specifically select a scener as filter, I believe that anything containing the search terms should be found.

anything containing the search terms *in the entries name* to be exact, yes.
2013-09-15 20:51
Scarzix

Ok. I'll rest my case then, but I still agree with you Groepaz regarding the list of SIDs showing when you search "all". It shouldnt show them, only count of them then, if "all" isnt supposed to show ALL connections to search term.
2013-09-15 21:05
chatGPZ

ALL means to search *in the entries name* of all listed categories. not "all connections", whatever that is. if you want to search for everything credited to a scener, you either click on its scener entry, or use the advanced search.
2013-09-22 19:44
Ejner

Yay! :-)
The search results are now also SORTED by their release date!!
Thanks! That's a really cool improvement!! :-)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
csabanw
Sentinel/Excess/TREX
Eryk/Chrome
Guests online: 300
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)