Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Project SIDFX (formerly known as SIDFIXER)
2015-12-20 13:29
Scarzix

Project SIDFX (formerly known as SIDFIXER)

Sorry for spamming you all, but regarding the DUAL SID hardware module SIDFX:

I mailed all PRE-ORDER contacts tuesday and I still miss a reply from 33% of you... please check your spam folder/email if there is any mail from sidfx-preorder@kick-ass.dk (16th december)

Thanks in advance.

There will be a registration site up shortly... so if you didnt pre-order/registrate already, you can also just mail me directly on the sidfx-preorder@kick-ass.dk mail address.

Cheers and merry X-mas to everyone!

... 177 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2016-03-31 23:33
mhindsbo
Account closed

Thanks for looking into the C64reloaded option! I for one am using that as my main and mod machine in the new C64C case.
2016-04-01 06:44
Thunder.Bird

Congrats for *finally* my STEREOinSID made it to denmark :D
It's a long time, somebody deleted my hardware from here.
2016-04-01 06:55
chatGPZ

thinking this has anything to do with "your" STEREOinSID is just silly
2016-04-01 13:01
ilesj

Quoting Scarzix
Reloaded: Lotus is currently designing an adapter for mounting it inside a C64C chassis if you have ZIF sockets on your Reloaded, as that will be too tight to fit with the current placement of the SID socket on the Reloaded.

That's good news. But what about other motherboard versions, have those been measured/considered? I mean the SID socket is located even further below the keyboard in many motherboard models. For example will SIDFX fit into C-case with 250407 mobo?

I would see it more of an issue with the emergence of new C-cases than the Reloaded board. (People are motivated to install whatever models to C-case).
2016-04-02 04:14
Scarzix

As I have been told, Lotus and Devia spend a lot of initital time on messureing all the different motherboard types, to make sure this product fits within each of them. That is: which components surrounds it (height and width issues), how far is it from all 4 sides (what is the topmost length needed for cables to reach the edge of the chassis, so people can drill holes on any side they want for the switches and audio out) etc.

so as far as I know they also designed it to be as flat as possible to fit below the C64C keyboard and I have mounted it in several C64C's and it has been no problem so far.

But let me get to you on this specific model, to be absolutely sure?
(I expect, I know the answer already, but I wanna give you the best possible answer I can get)

Hope thats acceptable.
2016-04-02 04:37
Scarzix

Quote: Congrats for *finally* my STEREOinSID made it to denmark :D
It's a long time, somebody deleted my hardware from here.

Personally, I have never heard of your hardware before and I didn't know that someone else had made a unit that allows you to put any two SID models into it and it then autodetects the SID type and adjust voltage accordingly, nor that you by 6510/8500 software can ask the unit which SID models are installed in the machine and the use a command to switch to the right socket, based upon the SID type?

no jumpers, no soldering! and working in ALL C64, C64C, SX-64, C128, C128D, and C128DCR... and we expect to support Reloaded in C64C chassis too very soon!

- and I am also surpriced to learn if your hardware enables the user to switch configurations, which they can customize and save in any 3 combinations they like, for either mono or stereo setups - or you can decide to have different setups for the amount if digiboost for the 8580 models.

I am fully aware that SIDFX isn't the only SID unit to let people use two SIDs etc, but there are so many different fixes and DIY units trying to deliver some of this and none of the existing units has solved all the issues in one unit!

The initial idea here was: "can't we have something that automatically can flip to the correct SID model based on the tune playing. The SID header of a .SID file in HVSC has this information, if only the SIDplayer software could use that info to tell the unit to swap automatically...." (Devia asked Lotus, I was told)

If such a unit had existed already, nobody would have wanted to spend more than 3 years trying to make this become a reality?!

Of cause this swap will not work for existing games and demos, so a manual switch has been implemented too, again to make it nice and easy for the end-user who wants to play his/hers Cybernoid or Arkanoid game etc.

Then there is the dual SID functionality: after analysing all tunes in HVSC, the three topmost common addresses of the 2nd SID used in .SID tunes are $D420, $D500 and $DE00 ... and as I have understood from Devia, thats why you can select these using the configuration tool that comes with the SIDFX.

You can even have all three settings, if you like, so you can move between them based upon your usage/need. Eg I make dual SIDs for $D420 using CheeseCutter editor, others wanna use MSSIAH module and it utilizes $DE00 I have been told and read in docs.

To me, as a musician/coder/end-user, I really dont want to open my C64 hardware too often. I want a working unit that I can customize to MY needs, using software configurations or the flick of a switch.

With this unit, I get all this + direct audio-out from the unit, I can force SID socket 1 or 2 as I please, I can put it into software/automatic mode where I can let software control which socket to control - and Gideon (1541ultimate) has agreed that we will make support for SIDFX directly in the firmware in the future, so when you pick a .SID file from your SDCARD or USB, the SIDplayer detects the SIDmodels installed, and if there is a match, it sets the primary SID to that socket automatically.

So this product is for people who REALLY like to play SID music on REAL hardware without all the troubles... to me, this is plug'n'play dual SID solution on a C64!

This project has grown far beyond that original idea and into THE ultimate dual SID chip solution, or the king of SID expansions as It states on the label here.

- and btw. if you think that Lotus is getting rich from this, you are terribly wrong... the research costs and startup fees for production of this unit ... OMG! luckily, we have no reached a minimum batch size that allows him to put it into production without loosing money.
2016-04-02 06:19
CreaMD

I had pleasure to read the last post and I'm really looking forward for this thing being part of my c64.
r
2016-04-02 07:49
ilesj

Quoting Scarzix
As I have been told, Lotus and Devia spend a lot of initital time on messureing all the different motherboard types, to make sure this product fits within each of them.

I think that answers my question - yes, different models have been considered :)

So it sounds like the location of the SID socket is not the issue together with C-case keyboard, only the additional height of the ZIF socket with C64R.
2016-04-02 09:49
Scarzix

yes, and maybe the metal shielding in certain c64c's which can be safely removed as far as I know, or bend/modified to allow inserting the SIDFX onto the SID socket.
2016-04-02 10:01
encore

If you wanted to install SIDFX on the C64C-board that has the metal shield (and tongues for heat dissipation), you wouldn't be able to keep the shield on without modifying it? Like one of these setups (incidentally Ilesj's picture): https://ilesj.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/ks-64-c-old-motherboa..

Just crossed my mind since my main C64 is one of those.

Scarzix: It would be interesting if you did some recordings directly from the audio output in one of your videos. :)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | ... | 20 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
tlr
grennouille
duce/extend
DeMOSic/HF^MS^BCC^LSD
rambo/Therapy/ Resou..
Mason/Unicess