Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Greek Software Houses in ’80s and ’90s – The Early days
2016-12-09 10:29
GeoAnas
Account closed

Greek Software Houses in ’80s and ’90s – The Early days

I have just translated in English and published an on-line article about the early days of Greek Software Houses. I am referring to a time zone between early '80s to early '90s. My source was a Greek text, written by [arislab]. Honestly speaking, without his valuable help this feature couldn't being written and completed...

There are many infos about a good deal of Greek developers focused on 8bit home computers. There is also a good amount of C64 releases there (most educational).

This project started with a little 'push' of my friend Ramos ,who was constantly asking me about the unknown Greek scene and software houses of this era. He was the man who gave me the proper motivation to get it done. Unfortunately after he passed, we almost forgot it but recently we decided to get the text somehow enriched and published @ "iamretro.gr"

So, if you fancy reading some concise history notes about nascent Greek software houses back in the day, please pay a visit here:

http://www.iamretro.gr/greek-software-houses-in-80s-and-90s-the..

We hope to find the read -more or less- to your liking!

Geo
2016-12-09 12:05
bugjam

Nice and interesting read!
Just 2 small suggestions:

- Add some short description to the pictures/scans
- Mention the system(s) for which all the programs mentioned were released.

I'd love to know more about the Greek scene (legal & illegal) as well - just checked, and there is not a single Greek group listed here on csdb! Shame! ;-)
2016-12-09 18:21
GeoAnas
Account closed

@ Bugjam

Thanks for your remarks. I will make some fixes ASAP!

Quoting bugjam

...just checked, and there is not a single Greek group listed here on csdb! Shame! ;-)

Yes, you're absolutely right. Hopefully, this will be a subject to change soon ;-)
I am in process to get in touch with some old (missing) Greek sceners and small groups lost in time, gathering as much infos as I can....This is undoubtedly a time consuming and quite painful challenge but I am very persistent and I will leave no stone unturned :-)
2016-12-10 11:22
bugjam

That sounds very promising - best of luck!!!
2016-12-11 07:30
Syshack

Efxaristo Geo,

I like to see such historic information.
I am very happy to read something from the early days of home computing about one of the countries my heart beats for.

When I was visiting Greece every summer back in those days (80s/90s) as a young adult, it seemed like the stone age when it came to home computers, especially in small cities like Trikala.

But when I saw a store having a C64 or any home computer for that matter, it was always something special to me.

I wonder, was there some sort of modification for the Greek market to be able to use and print the Greek alphabet? Was there any word processors with Greek fonts and menus?

That changed later of course in the era of the PCs (and Macs) and with the markets opening and things to become more affordable.

P.S. I love the cartoon with the naive humor (I can read Greek).
2016-12-14 11:53
GeoAnas
Account closed

Quoting Syshack
Efxaristo Geo,

Parakalo Poly (!) :-D (You're welcome !)
2016-12-14 13:13
Dipswitch

This is extremely fascinating and very important! Thanks a lot for your work!

Are you familiar with the work of Theodore Lekkas? He published some crucial articles on early Greek home computing in the recent years:

Lekkas, Theodoros. "Software Piracy: Not Necessarily Evil - or, Its Role in Software Development in Greece". In: Knowledge Management and Intellectual Property: Concepts, Actors and Practices from the Past to the Present, ed. by Stathis Arapostathis and Graham Dutfield, 85–106. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar, 2013.

Lekkas, Theodoros. "Legal Pirate Ltd. Home Computing Cultures in Early 1980s Greece". In: Hacking Europe: From Computer Cultures to Demoscenes, ed. by Gerard Alberts and Ruth Oldenziel, 73–103. London: Springer, 2014.
2016-12-15 11:40
GeoAnas
Account closed

Quoting Dipswitch
This is extremely fascinating and very important! Thanks a lot for your work!

Thanks for your kindness! ;-)

Quoting Dipswitch
Are you familiar with the work of Theodore Lekkas?

Yes, his name certainly rings a bell. Have you any link, or better, can you please point me to an online source for his articles?
2016-12-15 14:50
Dr.j

GeoAnas- i find your article like the rest of your articles very interesting , professional and joyfulness. i still
on-the-reading process but looks so much fun and the pictures are delicious and authentic . great job my friend :)
2016-12-15 15:36
GeoAnas
Account closed

@ Dr.J

Really appreciate such a nice comment! You ROCK! ;-)
2016-12-21 11:22
Dipswitch

Quoting GeoAnas

Yes, his name certainly rings a bell. Have you any link, or better, can you please point me to an online source for his articles?

You can find his email at http://old.phs.uoa.gr/ht/lekkas.html . I am in touch with him, he is a very friendly guy - I'm sure he can provide you with some PDFs.
2016-12-22 22:37
GeoAnas
Account closed

@ Dipswitch

Thumb Up!
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Matt
Sokratekk
hedning/G★P
Majikeyric
Freeze/Blazon
Didi/Laxity