Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user juanjosescg ! (Registered 2024-04-16) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > colodore is the new pepto
2016-12-12 00:26
pepto
Account closed

colodore is the new pepto

Hey guys, I remeasured the video-signals of my VIC-II's and slightly updated my 15 year old attempt at calculating an rgb-clone. While at it, I also measured VIC & TED and made a little website about it, that allows you to adjust brightness, contrast and saturation as you like and then save your own custom palette to a png-file.

http://www.colodore.com

I took extra care to make sure, that the brightness, contrast and saturation sliders behave the same way as my 1084s.

While closely comparing my LCD to the 1084s, I found that making the transparency of scanlines dependent on YUV's Y (so they are less visible for brighter colors) looked a lot more like the real thing. I also noticed that the phase-shift on odd-lines happens for YUV's V only and there's even a name for it in video-lingua: hanover bars.

After implementing this, I'm happy to say that the images on my LCD and 1084s are remarkably close.

I will write a more detailed article about it in January, but seriously need a christmas-break first...

Cheers,
pepto

... 97 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2017-02-16 08:44
ilesj

Quoting pepto
At which point do you guys inject hanover-bars into the signal in Vice? I do it after the delayline, that's why a field with (lgrn/yel) looks the same as (yel/lgrn) before the hanover bars are added.

Should it be the other way around? Your article links to this Wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanover_bars that says

Quoting wiki

To suppress Hanover bars, PAL color decoders use a delay line which repeats the chroma information from each previous line, and blends it with the current line
2017-02-16 08:58
pepto
Account closed

Quoting wiki

To suppress Hanover bars, PAL color decoders use a delay line which repeats the chroma information from each previous line, and blends it with the current line

You are correct, a delay-line would be the weapon of choice to suppress hanover bars, but they are a clearly visible artefact, along with delay-line style vertically blended chroma.

Something doesn't seem to add up in the crt-emu/video-signal portion (e.g. detached from the general palette color generation). I came to the same conclusion originally, but unfortunately reality still differs.

Quoting Groepaz
VICE uses two yuv palettes, one for odd and one for even lines, and both go into the delay line stuff.

Hmm, but shouldn't this cancel out hanover bars completely?

I have a first idea on how to get "play with colors" to blend right. I have a feeling it's something simple. I will try to find some time this weekend to investigate.
2017-02-16 09:06
chatGPZ

Quote:

apparently not... they are only completely gone if the phase difference between odd and even lines is exactly 180 degr.
2017-02-16 12:09
JackAsser

Quote: Quoting wiki

You are correct, a delay-line would be the weapon of choice to suppress hanover bars, but they are a clearly visible artefact, along with delay-line style vertically blended chroma.

Something doesn't seem to add up in the crt-emu/video-signal portion (e.g. detached from the general palette color generation). I came to the same conclusion originally, but unfortunately reality still differs.

Quoting Groepaz
VICE uses two yuv palettes, one for odd and one for even lines, and both go into the delay line stuff.

I have a first idea on how to get "play with colors" to blend right. I have a feeling it's something simple. I will try to find some time this weekend to investigate.

Keep me informed so that I can update the webgl-port. (will release soonish).
2017-02-16 12:33
pepto
Account closed

Quoting JackAsser
Keep me informed so that I can update the webgl-port. (will release soonish).

Cool! No worries, I will keep you updated...
2017-02-16 13:33
Kabuto
Account closed

Great work!

There is another effect that was mentioned in an old demo, I think it was made by Crest when they introduced NUFLI or something similar:

The video chip is slower at changing the voltage level from black to white than the other way round. This means that a sequence of for example black and white pixels appears darker than one would expect (even when considering gamma level effects on a slightly blurred output). This effect also is less prominent on later video chips, probably because their internal transistors work faster.

I didn't find this being mentioned in this thread before, so I just thought I'd mention it.

Also, is the phase of the chroma carrier fixed? If I remember correctly it's chosen randomly on every power cycle. But I totally understand that this one would be a bit nasty to emulate, but I still wonder how much this affects the appearance of pictures.
2017-02-16 13:44
chatGPZ

the so called black bleeding is NOT caused by the VIC as suggested in that crest demo - it completely disappears when removing the modulator, so its basically the result of the shitty video circuit.
2017-02-18 21:07
pepto
Account closed

Quoting pepto

Oh snap, the 1084s seems to have a delay-line for YUV's U only. This explains a lot of things, especially why the phase-offset for YUV's V still is perfectly visible on screen after passing the delay-line and why more modern TVs manage to hide the hanover bars so much better, as they delay-line both YUV's U & V...

Quoting pepto

The solution is simple indeed. I have an internal version of colodore.com now, that renders every single field of "play with colors 2" precisely like the real VIC II and solid single-colored fields still look identical to the original version... \o/

I will try to find time tomorrow to tidy up my code, update the website and tell you how it appears to work tomorrow.
2017-02-19 08:38
pepto
Account closed

Considering how important it is, that a color ends up on an even or odd line, for this effect to work: Is the first line of the 200 line high main-field (without borders) considered an even or odd line, if you start counting at 1?
2017-02-19 08:46
chatGPZ

you can scroll it.... so... :) i think you should start counting from the actual first scanline
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Bob/Censor Design
juanjosescg
Alakran_64
kbs/Pht/Lxt
Mason/Unicess
Adder/Triad