Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Games that use VSP
2017-01-15 13:39
Comos

Games that use VSP

Firts of all, I wanted to start this thread as a small research,coz during the years I encountered few game titles,that keeps crashing for a not well reason to me,but regarding VSP and especially VSP bug,that few years back was discovered seems it might have an explanation.

Here are titles, that Im aware of,that might use this technique,because of in game random crashes.

Creatures 1,Mayhem in Monsterland, Fred's Back 4

Creatures 1

Crashes mostly during starting of the game,when the screen scrolled horizontaly from right to left.Usually when I pass this, the game runs okay.

Mayhem in Monsterland

Besides, that the use of VSP is well known here I guess, this game crashes rarely during the character movement,atleast in my case.

Fred's Back 4 (Fred's in Troubles)

Maybe it's also related to whole Fred's Back series,but mostly I had problem with the last one.20 years ago,when I played this game, the game crashed for me everytime at the same level at the same place so I considered it as a bad swapper's copy.20 years later,when I wanted to try to finish the game,I tried again the AVT crack,that I had from the beginning,but a copy from csdb,but this time, the game crashed allmost immediately when the first level got loaded.I tested several other cracks,but had the same result.WTF?

The possibilities like kill cart,remove cart, remove everything have been considered,but still no luck.
Does anyone had similar issues or knows more games,that might crash?
2017-01-15 14:57
chatGPZ

"Another World" is the prime example i guess, it even constantly saves game progress, so you can reload and continue when it crashes =P

other than that, you could look at the vice log when "vsp bug" is enabled in x64sc - i think you will notice that even a lot of old stuff that doesnt explicitly use vsp triggers the bug
2017-01-16 09:25
Comos

Quote: "Another World" is the prime example i guess, it even constantly saves game progress, so you can reload and continue when it crashes =P

other than that, you could look at the vice log when "vsp bug" is enabled in x64sc - i think you will notice that even a lot of old stuff that doesnt explicitly use vsp triggers the bug

Good idea, thanks for the tip !
2017-01-16 10:37
oziphantom

I think Misfortune is VSP
2017-01-17 06:00
skull

I used VSP in Bomberland Preview
2017-01-17 15:09
Jammer

Obviously Mythos Preview, hidden in Krestage 3 ;)

Circling around the scroll topic, I always wondered how games like Flimbo's Quest or Hawkeye pull off that complex second plane ;)
2017-01-17 17:07
Hein

Quote: Obviously Mythos Preview, hidden in Krestage 3 ;)

Circling around the scroll topic, I always wondered how games like Flimbo's Quest or Hawkeye pull off that complex second plane ;)

lda, sta.. that's it. And an obviously small game screen with a huge scoreboard.

As a sidenote: The original Hawkeye 2 (and the Onslaught version) used VSP too IIRC and Mario figured it crashed on some machines, so he decided to pass it on to his friends from X-ample.
2017-01-17 18:49
White Flame

The original Hawkeye 2 that came to GTW did not have VSP, and was just a regular double buffer with lots of LDA/STA. I had the VSP idea as applied to parallax and added it to the Onslaught preview when I was reworking the code to relax timing constraints. There's no attempt to keep it "safe" on VSP bugged machines, so it's either bug-resistant real hardware or emu to run.
2017-01-17 21:15
Hein

Quote: The original Hawkeye 2 that came to GTW did not have VSP, and was just a regular double buffer with lots of LDA/STA. I had the VSP idea as applied to parallax and added it to the Onslaught preview when I was reworking the code to relax timing constraints. There's no attempt to keep it "safe" on VSP bugged machines, so it's either bug-resistant real hardware or emu to run.

Ah, my bad. I mixed up two discussions with Mario then.
2017-01-18 09:02
enthusi

@Jammer, paralax scrolling is a different beast.
Basically you keep aside a number of chars for the back-layer and scroll the content of those chars accordingly.
(usually be toggling charsets)
2017-01-18 17:10
Jammer

Yeah, I know what happens exactly in parallax ;) It's just such complex areas initially seemed to me like serious rastertime and charbook overhead (but still to be handled in one frame apparently) ;)

... 13 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
McMeatLoaf
celticdesign/G★P/M..
Max/Flat3
Inge/HVSC
Krill/Plush
Enforcer/Deers