Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > WinVice 3.1 speed/performance on Ultrabooks?
2017-05-12 09:29
Dano

WinVice 3.1 speed/performance on Ultrabooks?

Currently i am coding on an Asus UX32VD Ultrabook (which should have some like an Intel Core i7-3517U 1.9 GHz in it). As of WinVice3.1 using x64 with FastSid does not work correctly anymore. Visuals yes, but Sound sometimes totally goes south (no filters and such).

From the Vice people i was told to use ReSid as FastSid is not supported anymore.

Now my problems start: With using ReSid WinVice drops to like 24fps on my system. Using x64sc with Resid gives me like 8fps.

Looking at procmon it seems like one core is maxed out as CPU load never goes over 24% (the graphs show a different picture as none seems to be properly used).

My workhorse laptop at the office can run x64+resid nicely and properly, but okay it got way more power than my ultrabook will have.

Somehow i got the feeling that my system (Win10 Creators) is not really working properly anymore.

That's why i am asking here.. Any of you guys got a laptop compareable to mine and how's WinVice working on your system? Or what are the general performance reports for WinVice3.1?

Before i go into the ordeal of doing a complete re-install i would like to hear what other experience with WinVice currently. If it's problem on my side, or if it's just how well WinVice works on lower spec (sort of) laptops..

... 51 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2017-05-15 03:34
Kruthers

Seems most of the hardware mentioned here should not really be an issue as my 6 year old Athlon II can run the latest Vice, maxed out, solid frame rate, without even using up one core.

However I notice that sometimes Vice gets in a "state" where framerate really drops, as low as 5fps, and it gets stuck there. Sometimes it happens on startup but mostly its random or possibly related to system load. Anyway, doing pause (alt-p), waiting a few seconds for the system to settle, then unpausing seems to clear it up.

Maybe on some systems Vice starts up in that "stuck" state and needs a chance to catch its breath? *shrug* Course, I'm seeing this behavior under Linux and there could be a world of differences, but figured it was worth mentioning anyway...
2017-05-15 05:57
chatGPZ

Quote:
the terrible sound- and sync- code that needs to be deleted and rewritten.
2017-05-15 13:22
Pantaloon

2.4 is superior to 3.1 when it comes to linking a demo.

* In 3.1 warp mode can only be turned on after 4-5 seconds while booting up (makes it really booring when linking demos and you want to prototype stuff on disk quickly).

* Warpmode doesnt seem to work while the c-64 i/o is busy

* Warpmode is alot slower compared to 2.4

* There seem to be a random startup delay even tho i have the "random startup delay" turned off.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Kickback
DKT/Samar
sebalozlepsi
Mason/Unicess
kbs/Pht/Lxt
hedning/G★P