Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > WinVice 3.1 speed/performance on Ultrabooks?
2017-05-12 09:29
Dano

WinVice 3.1 speed/performance on Ultrabooks?

Currently i am coding on an Asus UX32VD Ultrabook (which should have some like an Intel Core i7-3517U 1.9 GHz in it). As of WinVice3.1 using x64 with FastSid does not work correctly anymore. Visuals yes, but Sound sometimes totally goes south (no filters and such).

From the Vice people i was told to use ReSid as FastSid is not supported anymore.

Now my problems start: With using ReSid WinVice drops to like 24fps on my system. Using x64sc with Resid gives me like 8fps.

Looking at procmon it seems like one core is maxed out as CPU load never goes over 24% (the graphs show a different picture as none seems to be properly used).

My workhorse laptop at the office can run x64+resid nicely and properly, but okay it got way more power than my ultrabook will have.

Somehow i got the feeling that my system (Win10 Creators) is not really working properly anymore.

That's why i am asking here.. Any of you guys got a laptop compareable to mine and how's WinVice working on your system? Or what are the general performance reports for WinVice3.1?

Before i go into the ordeal of doing a complete re-install i would like to hear what other experience with WinVice currently. If it's problem on my side, or if it's just how well WinVice works on lower spec (sort of) laptops..

... 51 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2017-05-16 13:51
Dano

Quote: Quote:
Your patches will be then skipped like Polish cartridges emulation developed within www.c64power.com

when the patches make test programs fail that work without the patch, then they will be rejected. obviously, i hope.
Quote:
quite some time i have the phenomenon that Vice doesn't fall back into normal mode after having (auto-)started the file given. then i have to manually un-warp emulation.

didnt see that behaviour for a long time - is that with the original kernal? any cartridges active?

Quote:

Quote:
quite some time i have the phenomenon that Vice doesn't fall back into normal mode after having (auto-)started the file given. then i have to manually un-warp emulation.

didnt see that behaviour for a long time - is that with the original kernal? any cartridges active?

orignal kernel, but got a retro replay or an action replay set as default freezer cartridge.

after pressing F7 the programm loads.

or nothing happens in some cases. just a normal blinking cursor then.
2017-05-16 13:52
soci

Quoting dano
Coming back to my problem i usually notice that the Vice Display FPS slow down the more is happening on screen. Frankly speaking screen action should not have effect on Vice Perfomance?! Having stuff like flashing/debug Bordercolors makes Vice drop in FPS like hell.

Be careful with what you wish for. I'm sure there's more than one way to achieve exactly that...
2017-05-16 13:56
chatGPZ

Quote:
orignal kernel, but got a retro replay or an action replay set as default freezer cartridge.

so, basically PEBCAK then :) to make that work reliable, use -keybuf to put a F7 keypress into keyboard buffer after reset (and after a suitable timeout). the autostart mechanism doesnt know about cartridges, nor anything that isnt the original kernal.
2017-05-16 14:15
Dano

Quote: Quote:

so, basically PEBCAK then :) to make that work reliable, use -keybuf to put a F7 keypress into keyboard buffer after reset (and after a suitable timeout). the autostart mechanism doesnt know about cartridges, nor anything that isnt the original kernal.

Quote:

that pretty much NOT explains why it's working at times.

srsly, it happens, then it not happens, .... not happens, happens.. and be sure i tried various things like waiting less, waiting more. yet still if i do it 10 times the same way it can work a random number 0..10.

ofcourse it's easy to blame the user for doing <<RANDOM>> thing wrong instead of finding a solution. guess my collegues can be happy that i am not such a type of coder..

apart from the fact that i don't want to check the compile script or have "compile with f7" and "compile without f7". blabla. welcome to the world of working around quirks because the reason is not to be found or wanted to be found.. ^^
2017-05-16 14:19
chatGPZ

the reason is that autostart uses specific timing constraints. it works sometimes and sometimes not because the timing you press F7 with is not always the same.

and if you dont want to use the solution that actually works... ok. dont blame the emulator for it though, thats just silly =P
2017-05-16 14:48
Dano

ah yes, then it makes totally sense why the problem occurs at times with instant f7 pressing or waiting with pressing f7 for a longer time (>10 seconds that is).

and i must admit lame me doesn't know how vice detects when to switch off warp-mode after loading a file.

but honestly this too is offtopic as it was not about "non-existant" vice bugs but rather vice performance (tipps).

thanks again at soci and compyx for comprehensive informations.
2017-05-16 14:57
oziphantom

If you are on Windows, note that VICE can trap all mouse clicks, so if you have something in the clipboard, and right click somewhere you will paste it into the keyboard buffer.. this can wreck havoc on Autostart, or not depending on when you click and what the emulator is doing etc makes it somewhat random.
2017-05-16 20:05
Dano

Went through settings and disabled the render filter to none. Switched SID to 8580 Resid. This currently gave me a variable FPS value between 45 to 52 fps. Funny enough emulation speeed variied from 95% to 105% even with emulation speed to 100% normal.

Setting the render filter to "CRT" gave me something like 12fps to 20fps.

On x64 that is.

Does "double size" and "double scan" have much of an effect in VIC emulation?

x64sc is on 68% speed and 15fps..
2017-05-16 21:34
algorithm

Quote: Went through settings and disabled the render filter to none. Switched SID to 8580 Resid. This currently gave me a variable FPS value between 45 to 52 fps. Funny enough emulation speeed variied from 95% to 105% even with emulation speed to 100% normal.

Setting the render filter to "CRT" gave me something like 12fps to 20fps.

On x64 that is.

Does "double size" and "double scan" have much of an effect in VIC emulation?

x64sc is on 68% speed and 15fps..

Are you sure certainly that your CPU is not throttling? I can even run X64SC (Winvice 3) on a Z8700 based atom laptop with no slowdowns. (And that includes Resid on and double screen/pal emulation)
2017-05-17 06:56
chatGPZ

by far the most CPU is wasted in resid and CRT emulation - all the rest is pretty irrelevant. you shouldnt have that sort of performance problems in any case.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
t0m3000/ibex-crew
Matt
user/MYD
iceout/Avatar/HF
Mibri/ATL^MSL^PRX
tlr