Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > What is Onefile Demo, what is Graphics...
2017-06-27 16:38
ptoing

What is Onefile Demo, what is Graphics...

I recently started to go through a lot of art on here to put on my SD card for enjoyment on real hardware purposes.

Then I came across Industrial Dawn which is just a picture with music. I don't see anything else going on. (That said, it is really nice, both music and pic).

It is entered as One-File Demo, while a lot of pictures with music (could link a whole bunch by Mermaid for example, but also loads others), which are just entered as Graphics.

I guess there is no super easy way to draw a line here. Any thoughts?

IMO, demo would include at least some kind of effect, or a scroller maybe. But then people had a discussion about this when I released my Headache pic in the gfx compo at X'10.

... 107 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2017-06-29 00:03
soci

If it's runnable it's code and true graphics releases need a separate shower ;)
2017-06-29 00:16
chatGPZ

YOU need a shower perhaps =D (did you mean: viewer? =P)
2017-06-29 06:00
soci

No, I had already and also considered the joke possibility but refrained from using it.

http://csdb.dk/search/?seinsel=all&search=shower

Btw. the list of csdb "professions" is mostly based on disk magazine charts. After all this is an archival site and not another FB.
2017-06-29 10:45
saimo

I guess that the problem lies in the broadness of "graphics" and in the lack of specific categories. To me, "graphics" refers to an exclusively visual product. That automatically puts entries with music in some other category. But then, there is still a problem: what does "graphics" include?
It certainly includes still pictures.
But also a picture with a color cycling effect is a purely graphical product, so does it qualify as "graphics"? I'd say yes (even if I don't like that), because the effect makes it more than just a still picture, but still less than a demo, as the code is just too trivial; on the other hand, a complex real-time twisting/lighting/whatever effect would make it a demo because of substantial weight of the code (although the end product is still graphical only).
Then, there are also animations (sequences of still pictures): can they be considered "graphics"? Yes (although, again, I don't like it), as they are a 100% graphical product.
Finally, for completeness, let's consider also videos streaming from disk or REU: are they graphics? Well, if they come with music, according to what said at the beginning, I'd say no (they're "videos" in the common sense, as in "YouTube videos"); otherwise, they can be considered "graphics" (they're basically sequences of pictures like animations).

Regarding the code required to display still pictures, I think it is not relevant to the categorization: no matter how cool the code is, still the end result is a picture. The code should be taken into account when the product shown is more than just a still picture.

Going back to pictures with music, I can't see a proper place for them: C64 Graphics would exclude the musical component, and C64 Music would exclude the graphical one. These productions are more than pictures, but much less than demos. I can only see them in a category of their own.

Summing it all up, this is how I see it (production: ideal category / current CSDb category):
* still pictures: still picture / C64 Graphics
* still pictures with music: picture+music / C64 Misc.
* pictures with trivial visual effects: dynamic picture / C64 Graphics
* pictures with complex visual effects: dynamic picture / C64 One-File Demo
* pictures with visual effects and music: one-file demo / C64 One-File Demo
* sequences of pictures: animations / C64 Graphics
* sequences of pictures with music: videos / C64 Misc.
2017-06-29 17:11
Compyx

I'd rather keep it simple: use "C64 graphics' for static graphics with only the code required to display the image, including images that use the borders.

For logo's and such, I suppose a simple text like used in many 'music' entries can be acceptable, when using the standard font and no fancy colorcycling.

Images using multiple screens I'm not sure about, I suppose a simple display routine (VSP or linecrunch) can be acceptable, but not when using for example the linecrunch area to display (swinging) logo's etc.

Adding music which will alter the perception of the graphics displayed is a no-no.

Edit: using a cruncher for faster loading of the image + display routine should also be acceptable. Not strictly required to display an image, but makes loading less painful.
2017-06-29 17:54
chatGPZ

guess we also need "dynamic graphician" then!
2017-06-29 18:09
Carrion

guys, guys...
just introduce tags... you know... to tag releases like:
#koala #doublescreen #horizontal #sprites #music

I solved this for you.
thread can be closed now.
thank you!
2017-06-29 19:15
Scan

So that has been settled? Let's carry on...
2017-06-29 19:28
Compyx

Oh no, no way.

Now we need sprite-graphician, which in turn is split into hires-sprite graphician, multi-color-sprite graphician, overlayed sprite graphician (ie 2x SC sprite or 1x MC + 1x SC), combined overlayed sprite graphician (see before).

Then there's the case of using bitmap or charset in combination with those sprite modes I mentioned before. Basically we'll end up with 128+ different categories, both for graphics and for people doing graphics.

And what about coders? To be fair, there should be 1K coders, 4K coders, 16K coders and 'normal' coders, at least.
2017-06-29 19:46
Mermaid

You people have too much time on your hands.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
chronos/Therapy
JackAsser/Booze Design
Exploding Fi../Techn..
Fungus/Nostalgia
DJ Space
Durandal