Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > What is Onefile Demo, what is Graphics...
2017-06-27 16:38
ptoing

What is Onefile Demo, what is Graphics...

I recently started to go through a lot of art on here to put on my SD card for enjoyment on real hardware purposes.

Then I came across Industrial Dawn which is just a picture with music. I don't see anything else going on. (That said, it is really nice, both music and pic).

It is entered as One-File Demo, while a lot of pictures with music (could link a whole bunch by Mermaid for example, but also loads others), which are just entered as Graphics.

I guess there is no super easy way to draw a line here. Any thoughts?

IMO, demo would include at least some kind of effect, or a scroller maybe. But then people had a discussion about this when I released my Headache pic in the gfx compo at X'10.

... 107 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2017-06-28 08:55
bugjam

@JB: regarding gfx in music releases, I reckon most parties solve that problem nowadays by switching the screen off during music compo anyway, so it does not influence the judgement of the tune. And then I do quite enjoy those neat presentations in some tunes, I have to say.
Regarding the topic, I'd concur with ptoing that I'd count gfx + music only as graphics release and whenever an effect is added as onefile demo, but I admit that this discretion is totally arbitrary.
2017-06-28 09:16
ptoing

bugjam: That is not really what I wrote. I can see how a pic with music would be considered a demo. But then I think at X they turned off the music for the pics, not sure though.

They did not however turn off the gfx for the music compo.

Jailbird: So stuff like border sprites and similar things on pictures you would also call demo? I dunno if I would go that far, but I sometimes wonder if separating "pure" modes from "hack" modes, if there are enough entries. But that might be a pain in the ass for the orgas.

Pure as in just Hires or MCOL, hack as in everything else.
2017-06-28 09:41
Sounx
Account closed

A pic with some music added, but where the clear intention is the release of graphics, is just that... A graphics release. Total nonsense to consider this as onefile demo! Countless 'Logo for XXX' files should be considered onefile demos then. Anything else added but music, like for example scrollers and/or effects, make a onefile demo in my opinion.

A similar situation arises when people use sprites/borders to enhance their graphics. That's what I would surely call a onefile demo as it requires some neat coding and surely the graphics benefit from the added code. Which doesn't make it a standard graphics release anymore.

I find it quite stunning that pictures that use code to work around limitations or polish the pictures with FE. (border)sprites are and have been allowed to participate in 'normal' GFX competitions. It is plain wrong and quite frankly unfair to those graphicians that don't have a coder to back them up.
2017-06-28 10:45
jailbird

Quoting Ptoing
Jailbird: So stuff like border sprites and similar things on pictures you would also call demo?

As soon as you think you have to add any additional credits to your graphics release other than "graphics", you should call it a demo. Serious, exclusive programming or musical involvement in a release makes it more than just a single graphics release. I don't think it's too hard to determine when other than pure graphical skills had crucial parts in displaying a screen.
2017-06-28 11:54
ptoing

I can see that point and agree with it.

What about when there is already something out there that easily lets you do stuff, like Timanthes lets you make FLI including the FLI bug area, or I use vicpack to convert Asslace stuff. There was a coder needed to do the original leg work, but same goes for whatever graphics program you use.

So arguably if there was some really powerful editor that would allow flexible sprite overlays, rasters, and border sprites, then what would things made with that fall under?
2017-06-28 18:54
TheRyk

about border sprites making gfx demo: doesn't make sense, as we've got ESCOS aka OSCAR as gfx format.
about "static" artwork only: then all FLI pics wouldn't count as gfx any longer :)

Seriously, I don't think, there is a solution which doesn't create new problems/make things even more complicated
2017-06-28 19:24
chatGPZ

muc more important question is: why do we have "fullscreen graphician" but no "fullscreen graphics"? LAME
2017-06-28 19:24
Tao

Quote: about border sprites making gfx demo: doesn't make sense, as we've got ESCOS aka OSCAR as gfx format.
about "static" artwork only: then all FLI pics wouldn't count as gfx any longer :)

Seriously, I don't think, there is a solution which doesn't create new problems/make things even more complicated

That would fall under "demo maker production" :P
2017-06-28 19:58
ptoing

Quote: muc more important question is: why do we have "fullscreen graphician" but no "fullscreen graphics"? LAME

All those extra graphician options can just go imo. Yes there are people who just made fullscreen mcol and or hires pics, such as DocJM or Wayne Schmidt, and probably some people who also just made logos. But IMO it still is silly.
2017-06-28 23:22
chatGPZ

Quote:
All those extra graphician options can just go

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
CA$H/TRiAD
Acidchild/Padua
CreaMD/React
Pararaum/T7D
Jetboy/Elysium
t0m3000/ibex-crew