Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > JSL
2018-03-25 12:24
rail slave

JSL

Hi,

I came a bit after JSL's reign, but he was a huge influence over me, kind of a mythical figure if you will. Ptoing would show me stuff and we would laugh, be quietly appreciative of his little corner of the scene.

I like the general sentiment behind his stuff, it taught me a bit about some basic but pretty ramps/color combos, his touching little tributes to other sceners; Also Just how he achieved such an enigmatic and legendary status inspires me.

I understand he struggles (key word) with mental health issues and my point is this, can people take this into account, maybe bare with the manifestation of his condition, gently get him back on track..or try snap him out of it.

Can a person that is having a hard time really be banned for some out of character outburst ?

I say "out of character" because look at the beauty he has bestowed upon us. That is his character, or at least what he would like to be identified as.

I admittedly do not know the full story, please fill me in. Just some thoughts I have been having.

I'm not doing this to get that Hot JSL "rail slave "tribute mcol .... ;)
2018-03-25 12:53
hedning

In my view CSDb was not good for him. He was constantly on the defence when it came to criticism, and after a few years people got tired of that. That is, however, not the reason he got banned: he made some really nasty comments to fellow sceners, and after he was banned he really showed off, making some disturbing pics with CSDb moderators (me included) in the centre. That won't help him either.

I believe he is better off without his manic obsession of CSDb - in a way CSDb was one of the few arenas where he could express his pics. Which in a way is sad. I understand that CSDb was very important for him; and the place he spent most of his time. That is not healthy. If he want to upload stuff here, he has some friends around that can upload stuff for him (I think Jazzcat did that a couple of times for example). It's not that CSDb is the scene. If you release something it will end up here, it's easy as that.

But: we will not have separate rules for mentally ill persons and more normal ones. If you attack fellow sceners even after warnings: bye bye.
2018-03-25 13:02
rail slave

Quote: In my view CSDb was not good for him. He was constantly on the defence when it came to criticism, and after a few years people got tired of that. That is, however, not the reason he got banned: he made some really nasty comments to fellow sceners, and after he was banned he really showed off, making some disturbing pics with CSDb moderators (me included) in the centre. That won't help him either.

I believe he is better off without his manic obsession of CSDb - in a way CSDb was one of the few arenas where he could express his pics. Which in a way is sad. I understand that CSDb was very important for him; and the place he spent most of his time. That is not healthy. If he want to upload stuff here, he has some friends around that can upload stuff for him (I think Jazzcat did that a couple of times for example). It's not that CSDb is the scene. If you release something it will end up here, it's easy as that.

But: we will not have separate rules for mentally ill persons and more normal ones. If you attack fellow sceners even after warnings: bye bye.

ah yeah, I can understand that obsession how it's a good place for him but maybe shouldn't devote his life to it. (lol I'm a bit like that, maybe why I have the affinity with him :P )
Well explained.

Anyway, maybe delete this is you think it wont help the situation or stir up old stuff. Just showing some love,
2018-03-25 13:36
Cruzer

Miss this Dutch surrealist too.
2018-03-25 15:42
Shine

I miss him too and i would give him a very last chance.
2018-03-25 23:10
The Phantom

I admired JSL for the passion he put into his works, which seemed never ending. While he wasn't the best artist, he showed some serious gumption. I'll admit I even started drawing something for him a few years ago, a dedication to that gumption.

But Hedning is right. It felt like JSL lost his mind near the end there, and CSDb isn't really a place to hangout, it's more a place to store the memories of those who make the C64 scene what it is, and has always been, A community.

I have to admit that I've come close to getting kicked off CSDb with my stupid attitude. I felt someone was constantly attacking everything I did, when the reality was, he was simply trying to help make sure I did things correctly here.

With BBS's making a comeback, JSL can upload his warez there, and his release(s) will eventually make it here.

He does need to understand that not everyone will appreciate his works. I've gotten negative comments on my works, and learned from those comments.

I do hope to see his latest works though. and I do hope he is well.
2018-03-26 08:35
Matt

What Hedning said.
2018-04-02 14:46
Dr.j

i didn't hear from him for ages. hope he is well
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Flex/Artline Designs
Linus/MSL
alwyz/udi
TheRyk/MYD!
Guests online: 114
Top Demos