Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user juanjosescg ! (Registered 2024-04-16) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > ** Link removed by CSDb staff due to copyright. Please do not provide download links to this **
2005-04-12 10:15
Slartibartfast
Account closed

** Link removed by CSDb staff due to copyright. Please do not provide download links to this **

Well, there has been a few of these notices today, on certain Protovision releases that have been cracked and released by some people on CSDb.

Cracking has always been a large part of the scene, arguably the biggest and also what has ultimately ensured the scene to exist today.

If it weren't for cracking, piracy if you will, many games simply wouldn't be available on the web today. The C64dtv wouldn't have much of a lineup, all the games on it were cracks from the scene.

Now this issue has come to CSDb again, over old releases of Protovision games. Download links removed, to files which are definitely a part of the scene.

I can understand the policy on this, it's a way to protect CSDb against legal action. Other sites, for instance GB64, have tackled this by not hosting the files and just providing links to them.

But CSDb won't allow even that, if someone has an issue with their copyrighted work being available, the links will be removed. Even links provided by the user in their comment to the entry, will be censored and removed.

There is nothing regarding this policy in the CSDb FAQ, yet there is this disclaimer:

"Who's responsible for this?
We cannot take responsibility for the content of this database as all information is submitted by users."

So, that says straight out that CSDb is not responsible for the content.

It can be said that this is a way to protect CSDb in future, but from whom exactly? Can anyone honestly see Chronosoft or Protovision sueing anyone? Or if this is a measure to protect CSDb, could it go further and remove all cracks from the site?

On the other hand, CSDb are just trying to protect themselves, from Protovision apparently. Should we take the old debate over piracy directly to Protovision? As sceners themselves, they should know better than to be taking on this issue against sceners. Don't we all know by now that the people who would download these cracks, are not the same people that would buy it? That some of the people that get the game for free may even consider buying it at a later point?

One of the Protovision founders was a cracker himself, other members have been crackers, swappers or undoubtedly recipients of pirated software themselves.

This seemed to start with Macgyver altering a release of a PTV game here yesterday. A member of Protovision and also a CSDb admin. He was a swapper in the past.

Is this censorship really necessary? Do Protovision really think they would lose sales of these games, does CSDb really think there is any threat of legalities from an admin of this site?

This is an issue that strikes deep with many in the scene, and this site is an essential part of the scene today.

Surely there must be a better way to deal with this.

So let's discuss it here rather than in comments on these censored releases ;)

... 209 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2005-04-27 20:56
Westbam
Account closed

The fact this topic came up because of a "Commodore C64 Software Company" (in 2005 yeah right) makes the whole topic even more ridiculous in my eyes. I mean, what are they supposed to do? Drag you to court? Because of a piece of Commodore software? Agreed, they might loose, let´s say € 100.-, but which judge (even in the united states) would ever care about this ( -:> STREiTWERT <:- (for you Seven; of course I was right, as ALWAYS, apart form the fact that comparing this to the situation concerning the SlySoft software is a complete missing link..))???

Censoring a pirated ware on a (at least) semi-pirate scene does not make sense whatsoever. Although I do respect the system owner´s decision to do this, it simply does not make much sense from my point of view...
2005-04-27 22:53
Crossfire
Account closed

Oh Earthshaker, I'm an old geezer, no point in denying it ;-)
2005-04-27 23:23
Jazzcat

Crossfire: yes, unfortunate children are like this but I guess it is part of their "growing up cycle". Its amazing when I turn on the C64 though, these kiddies cease to exist, it's only when I get behind the PC that their annoyance is evident.
2005-04-28 17:12
Duke
Account closed

You know you're getting old when you start saying, "I don't like the look of those kids," or "TDJ is my 30+ year old son". That's why I stay in my protective house all day with my protective glasses and gloves, and never venture outside, hoping TDJ will call me on Sunday's.
2005-04-28 17:27
CreaMD

If we compared birthday dates, it seems like there is a very thin line between childhood and senility. ;-)
2005-04-28 18:54
Moloch

Oh no, not a contest of who is the oldest? I believe most of us need canes and in a few years diapers...

muhahaha

Damn kids.
2005-04-28 23:13
Crossfire
Account closed

Yeah, yesterday when I went to the grocery store, those darn hippetihop kids kicked my cain away from under me....those darn kids and their loud music..

*LOL*
2005-04-29 07:25
Jazzcat

Crossfire: as long as they thought it was cool for kicking your cane away from you. Then all is well. We can't have them thinking they're in the wrong or anything absurd like that. ;)
2005-04-30 00:33
Crossfire
Account closed

Quote: Crossfire: as long as they thought it was cool for kicking your cane away from you. Then all is well. We can't have them thinking they're in the wrong or anything absurd like that. ;)

Yeah, they also made my hemoroids act up again...darn kids..
2005-04-30 04:34
Earthshaker

Quote: Yeah, they also made my hemoroids act up again...darn kids..

He said from his rocking chair...
Previous - 1 | ... | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
DJ Space
Durandal
TheRyk/MYD!
hedning/G★P
Rock/Finnish Gold
sailor/Triad