Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > timbalamer
2007-01-16 21:30
Burglar

timbalamer

this is so yesterdays news, but how the hell is it possible nobody cared to open a thread about this here?

everyone else did!

http://www.pelulamu.net/timbaland/

The Tempest track is here -> http://www.limpninja.com/acidjazz/tempest_acidjazz.mp3
The GRG C64 version is here -> http://www.c64.org/HVSC/VARIOUS/A-F/Blues_Muz/Gallefoss_Glenn/A..
The Furtado track is here -> http://www.limpninja.com/acidjazz/furtado_doit.mp3

You can also see a Youtube video comparing the tracks here -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4KX7SkDe4Q

... 83 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2007-01-18 22:17
CreaMD

Quote: Good point. Frankly I dont know either how this would be looked upon in court. That's why I'd think twice before sueing. A settlement of some kind might be more comfortable. You never know what money sharks Timbaland has ready at hand to get rid of this pestering 8bit guy.

You are talking about ethicity of sueing. But courts don't judge by ethicity but by law. That means, if soemone is accused of stealing he can't defend hisemlf by accusing of the other side (that would have to be settled on separate court). The side which is accusing is bringing evidence and proofs and defending side is questioning reliability of evidence or witnesses. But in this case it's plain stealing. Timbaland would only have chance to question Tempest's claims if Tempests composition was a rip-off of something which was composed even before 2000. And still only if Tempest's tune wasn't relesed under fair use.. and still that wouldn't clear his guilt. (If Timbaland did it.. that is.)

The real claim is concerning misuse of GRG's sounds and arranges.. which were released with permission, under fair use and not for profit. There is a clear evidence that recording of his SID is used in "Do it". And even if GRG had stole a big packet of beer from a store and was videotaped on security cam, Timbaland can't use that for his defence, because he stole GRG's complete arrange and sounds and accusing GRG of stealing of beer doesn't have anything with it.

(I've sent you a possible ideaof defense in PM, but after I gave it one more thought I think it's silly.. it won't work either ;)
2007-01-18 22:41
Hein

Thanks for the PM, it's an interesting idea. :)

I hope it will be settled outside court, it will save a lot of 'paranoid' hassle for the original author(s).
2007-01-19 00:21
DeeKay

2007-01-19 00:30
DeeKay

Oswald: ...and it's still the RIAA, not the MPAA that cares about music "theft"! ;-)
2007-01-19 00:56
CreaMD

Quote: Thanks for the PM, it's an interesting idea. :)

I hope it will be settled outside court, it will save a lot of 'paranoid' hassle for the original author(s).

I think it will. According to stuff I've read from competent person, amicable settlement would be the most probable scenario. Also it's very probable that they will buy out the copyrights instead of splitting the royalties.
2007-01-19 07:35
Oswald

Quote: Oswald: ...and it's still the RIAA, not the MPAA that cares about music "theft"! ;-)

Deekay, I've havent said anything about RIAA or MPAA.
2007-01-19 10:08
DeeKay

2007-01-19 11:31
Oswald

sigh, consult the creator of the pic on such issues not the one who posted it.:P
2007-01-19 13:51
DeeKay

One thing that I don't understand is why Tempest himself doesn't show himself or is available for comment/interview/whatever. GRG is all over the place (congrats! ;-) with Interviews etc, and he "just" made the SID-version!

I know, he probably has to be very careful right now from a legal perspective, but see it this way: The more attention he gets, the better is his bargaining position with Geffen!

I got a mail from him (no quoting! ;-) and from that I gathered he's not unhappy at all about us making all that fuzz about it! So why doesn't he partake in it atleast a little bit himself?

Oh, btw: The story finally has reached mainstream US media since that Rollingstone feature.. There are articles popping up all over the place! ;-)
2007-01-19 14:07
CreaMD

Quote: One thing that I don't understand is why Tempest himself doesn't show himself or is available for comment/interview/whatever. GRG is all over the place (congrats! ;-) with Interviews etc, and he "just" made the SID-version!

I know, he probably has to be very careful right now from a legal perspective, but see it this way: The more attention he gets, the better is his bargaining position with Geffen!

I got a mail from him (no quoting! ;-) and from that I gathered he's not unhappy at all about us making all that fuzz about it! So why doesn't he partake in it atleast a little bit himself?

Oh, btw: The story finally has reached mainstream US media since that Rollingstone feature.. There are articles popping up all over the place! ;-)

GRG was interviewed in .NO media yet. ;-) Anyway, I wish I could read those interviews.. makes me proud (as a sidwhore and c64 scener ;-)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
csabanw
TheEnemy/TREX/THD
zscs
MCM/ONSLAUGHT
Pad/G★P
www.gb64.com