Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > Requests > Changes between original game releases and re-releases (budget / compilations)
2014-07-12 12:11
Twoflower

Changes between original game releases and re-releases (budget / compilations)

This kind of interesting issue might have been discussed before, but a comment from Richard on the Onslaught Shooter Collection made me think of it again.

There have been instances where the original release might have been bugged or just rushed due to different circumstances. In some cases this was fixed with a new master when the game was rereleased on budget, mastered to a different medium, was getting a US-release or just thrown into a new compilation.

Richard mentioned that R-Type got a highscore-list in the budget release, and i've seem to have read that there are several version of Lazy Jones around too.
Could you guys help me out here, this made me kind of curious?
2014-07-12 12:38
Krill

This is interesting.

Although not about the actual game content, this reminds me of later editions of some games using less aggressive copy protection mechanisms than the original first editions. The first ones used to format the game disks when detecting a non-original copy, however the rate of false positives turned out to be pretty high.
2014-07-12 19:14
Trurl

At least many MicroProse titles had a revision number printed on the manual, but I'm not sure if there's a list of the actual changes anywhere.
2014-07-13 11:36
Slator

R-type has several types of release. At least 2 different fullprice tapes, disc, budget tape.
They have the same code base, but differ in the amount of players, hs entry which is on the disc version (but has just 1 player), the budget re-release version is a mixture of tape and discversion, but is not 100% working, you cannot play the game through. I left out the hs part in the easy flash version as we did not want to safve hs back then because of space troubles. Generally that is no problem, i have a full-discversion running as EF release.

There are a lot of games that differ from the media you take them, disc/tape and later budget. Like loaderpictures, tunes, amount of level etc. That's not new and discussed all the time before releasing some oldies.
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
CA$H/TRiAD
t0m3000/ibex-crew
Yogibear/Protovision
TheRyk/MYD!
d'Arc/Topaz Beerline
Airwolf/F4CG