Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > DTV programming
2007-05-06 15:47
Oswald

DTV programming

ok, are there any docs / tuts whatever except Jeri's frighteningly cryptic text? Someone can tell Jeri to atleast debug her docs ? (for example: it claims the dtv vic can read 4 bytes while displaying 8 pixels. hows 8bpp mode done then?)

how about collecting them on cswiki (if any)?

I have checked a dtv forum but its mainly about soldering, how can ppl be happy with their modded dtvs, when there's nothing to show off the HW capabilities? :P

Yesterday I was wondering about making a demo for the DTV, but the lack of information scared me away. On what I understand it should be possible to speed up ANY effetct ATLEAST by a 3.3x, but with clever coding one can take it to way much more.. and I havent yet taking into account the DMA& the Blitter... :P

anyone?

... 20 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2007-05-07 16:26
tlr

native? I assume you mean burst + skip internal cycle.
I haven't checked stealing in burst + skip. I'm pretty sure the blitter steals. DMA might not steal.
In skip internal cycle I don't think blitter or DMA steals anything.
I'm not sure about sprites (yet).

You really need to mod you DTV so you can try some stuff out. :)
2007-05-07 16:29
Oswald

well I'd rather use the new feats, than explore them ;) btw the zp remapping is awesome, one can turn all acesses in any routine into zp stuff easily:D

the blitter is quite primitive, looks like the DMA design reused with the possiblity to logically combine 2 DMA channels... altho the a+b, a-b modes are pretty hot for calculating stuff, 8bpp sine plasmas anyone? :)
2007-05-07 16:56
tlr

Quote:
well I'd rather use the new feats, than explore them ;)

Sure, but this thing hasn't been fully reversed like the c64 has. You will be limited by what's in the docs, and there are many errors in it...
Quote:
btw the zp remapping is awesome, one can turn all acesses in any routine into zp stuff easily:D

Yupp!
Quote:
the blitter is quite primitive, looks like the DMA design reused with the possiblity to logically combine 2 DMA channels... altho the a+b, a-b modes are pretty hot for calculating stuff, 8bpp sine plasmas anyone? :)

Yes it's primitive, but it is quite fast also. It reads four bytes per 1 MHz cycle (but writes only 1).
I use the a+b (or was it a-b) in the blitter scroll.

Note that there is an awful bug with transparency on earlier DTVs though. The blitter scroll does not work correctly on those for example. I think it can be worked around by wasting a number of dummy reads per blit.
2007-05-07 17:18
Oswald

I have a pal dtv, is this fixed only in the hummer iirc ?
2007-05-07 18:23
tlr

Quote: I have a pal dtv, is this fixed only in the hummer iirc ?

It was fixed halfway through the DTV PAL run. As far as my research goes the switch was made during batch 050927. This is stamped at the bottom of your stick. See here.
The versions are dubbed DTV2 and DTV3 respectively.
PAL DTVs are either DTV2 or DTV3. Hummer-games are always DTV3s.
I have a DTV3 (PAL DTV) myself, batch 051005.

At the time I made the blitter scroll demo no one knew how many units very affected.
If I code something now I definately try to be compatible with both versions.
2007-08-12 19:52
Account closed

Quote: ok, are there any docs / tuts whatever except Jeri's frighteningly cryptic text? Someone can tell Jeri to atleast debug her docs ? (for example: it claims the dtv vic can read 4 bytes while displaying 8 pixels. hows 8bpp mode done then?)

how about collecting them on cswiki (if any)?

I have checked a dtv forum but its mainly about soldering, how can ppl be happy with their modded dtvs, when there's nothing to show off the HW capabilities? :P

Yesterday I was wondering about making a demo for the DTV, but the lack of information scared me away. On what I understand it should be possible to speed up ANY effetct ATLEAST by a 3.3x, but with clever coding one can take it to way much more.. and I havent yet taking into account the DMA& the Blitter... :P

anyone?

The DTV Programming Guide is now available in the DTV Hacking wiki, see http://picobay.com/dtv_wiki/index.php?title=DTV_Programming . If you find bugs please fix them :-).

Concerning analysis of the DTV, quite a lot of work has been done in the course of adding DTV emulation in VICE (see http://viceplus.sf.net/ ) so looking at its code might also be interesting.
2015-11-07 00:29
Pixman
Account closed

The DTV programming guide is down.

I still didn't find any overview over the registers or other stuff.

Does anybody still have the guide?

I'd be glad. Send me a PM please and post a link :)
2015-11-07 08:01
tlr

There's still some here:
http://dtvhacking.cbm8bit.com/common/tech/index.html

I probably have some stuff lying around as well.
2015-11-07 13:57
Peiselulli

Try wayback copy of the website:

http://web.archive.org/web/20130414141033/http://picobay.com/dt..
2015-11-07 20:46
Oswald

someone who is not as lazy up it to codebase64. thanks.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
CA$H/TRiAD
TheEnemy/TREX/THD
Acidchild/Padua
TheRyk/MYD!
psych
Manex/Anubis