Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > crunched dreams
2003-11-25 15:14
Dosoo
Account closed

crunched dreams

This is SuperCPU related, so those unfamiliar with that may not want to read this.

Ever since I purchased my SCPU128 I have often used sta $d07a as first instruction in my code if I code normal 6510 stuff. That turns SCPU to slow mode and indeed, that what it does.

However, if I for some reason use cruncher to pack that ready code I have figured, that the computer usually jams. After some debugging I isolated the problem to the first instruction. E.G. in byte boiler SCPU version if I put $5000 as start address the packed version didn't start. Then I tried $5003 and everything worked ok, but SCPU was in high speed.

Have you encountered such thing. I have used Byte Boiler and Cruncher AB with same result. For that reason I had to leave my Christmas demo back in 2002 unpacked as it wouldn't start after I packed. Spooky...

... 9 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2003-11-27 09:20
Ninja

HCL: So, should we all burn and never use again our Action-Replays, just because they crash when you try reading from $DE00? ;)
2003-11-27 15:12
Dosoo
Account closed

SCPU seems to raise not only C64's temperature but sceners' temperature aswell... I DID WARN YOU THIS IS SCPU RELATED TOPIC

But back to business.
What comes to extra RAM and things related to that, I haven't even tried of packing 65816 code with these crunchers. I have only packed normal standard (yet amateur) 6510 code. The SCPU is in emulation mode e.g. I have done no mode swapping in my code.

I have to try that nopnopnop -thingie, but still it doesn't explain why the code crashes. Everything works fine with the original code, which I've packed. And everything works fine with the code, where I have removed the first sta $d07a instruction.

Thanks for your comments so far. Maybe I'll try this topic in a more SCPU friendly environment.
2003-11-27 18:01
ThunderBlade

1) there was a problem in the original Byte Boiler already which caused some problems - sometimes the decrunched data would be partly mess, one particular sequence would always be wrong. I was also working on a SCPU (or previously Flash8) version of Byte Boiler, but did not release it because of this bug. I talked to Skyflash, the real author of the cruncher, about this bug and he explained it to me. It was something with a 16 bit (2 byte) combination, made of the last byte of the file to crunch, and the first byte of the memory after the file to crunch (in the moment the file is loaded by the cruncher!). I could reduce the bug occurance a lot by a random-fill of the memory before loading the file to crunch. However, I did want to fix this bug for real, but before I could, Ninja released his version and I assumed he fixed the bug, although I never tried.

2) Why don't you tell us what IS there, instead of the STA $D07A? Haven't you looked, using a monitor? (i.e. the one built into Virtual Assembler)
2003-12-01 20:11
Dosoo
Account closed

I've tried to postpone this reply, but I haven't checked what's there in code. It never came to my mind... I'll check when ever I have time.
2003-12-02 08:34
HCL

@ninjadrm: Look into your c64 hardware spec.. $de00 is something like "area reserved for future expansion...", so i guess you just have to blame yourself if you use it cause there's really no reason if you have no external hardware connected.

I'm don't know what makes the SCPU fukkup, but there's surely a reason to blame it ;) Still my solution#2 must be the best .D
2003-12-04 11:11
Ninja

@HCL: You missed the point, before you said: "Does this mean it's a non-compatible hardware to the c64? Then it should be burned..." That applies for the AR, too. Not only with $DE00, remember those "KILL CARTRIDGE"-statements? Don't worry, I don't want to express a "SCPU-is-a-must-have"-opinion. But your argumentation had a little weakness here.
2003-12-04 11:19
Ninja

@Thunderblade: Sorry to disappoint you, but I did not fix this ByteBoiler-bug. Simple reason is, I didn't know it back then. It still never occured to me...
2003-12-04 13:04
ThunderBlade

It doesn't occur often. Back then, when I exchanged long notes with my contacts, I sometimes crunched the notes to let it fit on the disk. With some crunched files, after decrunching an empty screen of spaces was filled with a different char instead, or a sequence (a written word) had a strange spelling mistake that I didn't type, and this mistake appeared everywhere when the word was used. :) This was with the original Byteboiler already. But as there are so many other compactors available, why bother.
2003-12-04 13:11
HCL

@ninjadrm: I think you miss the point that there is a difference between *expansion* and *non compatible*. ARP expands the c64, while scpu obviously makes it buggy :). You can still claim the opposite and be on safe ground..
2003-12-04 13:51
Ninja

@HCL: I'll just leave it to this. Probably we could fill dozens of pages with this thread. I suggest we keep the discussion for a nice talk on one of the upcoming parties, okay? ;)
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Mr. SID
JEZ
kbs/Pht/Lxt
Alakran_64
ibux/Artline Designs..
Airwolf/F4CG