Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Release id #152469 : Melini
2017-01-01 07:28
bernhard
Account closed

Release id #152469 : Melini

I think older programms before the time of internet should be excluded from the "release date"-rule.
Today it's easy: everone can "publish" his ideas and programms and so on immediately.
But then, the only possibility was a company, or cracker szene in the best case, when you was in there, or some friends.

When I see your download page, then one wants immediately see "from when is this?".
For the today's upoads it is clear, it is the "release date".
But you cannot apply the rules for the today's upload for the old programms.
2017-01-01 10:10
hedning

If something is released 2016 but was made in 1988, it's still released in 2016. Just write a comment. There are multiple fields for background information. Cheers!
2017-01-01 10:11
bugjam

Well, it has happened before that people released old stuff that was sitting on a floppy for years by uploading it here, and then the upload date is the release date.
Of course, if you copied it even just to one of your friends back then, that can be counted as release, and the release date should be accordingly.
But as it was mentioned in the comments, just write a production note when it was actually made. If it was never out in public, it is actually good that it shows up in the new releases on the start page, so people ge to check it out.
2017-01-01 10:24
jailbird

Bernhard, was the release modified after 1988? If it was, it is not a release from 1988 in any way.

But this whole ordeal makes me wonder how do we specify if a release is actually "released"? The legal scene has no specific rules like the crackers do.

F. e. I have a packed executable which was given to a friend of mine +20 years ago to check it out. Whatever he did with it was out of my control (perhaps he spread it further, maybe he's the only one who saw it). If I upload that release now, will it count as a release from +20 years ago?

Is the "official release" the moment a product gets copied to a second party? As in that case, a lot of releases here don't have the correct release date.

Is the "official release" the moment a product is uploaded to CSDb? As in that case, a lot of releases here don't have the correct release date.

Is the "official release" the moment the creator finishes the work on it and concludes it as an "official release"? As in that case, a lot of releases here don't have the correct release date.
2017-01-01 10:30
bernhard
Account closed

what is the "release date" good for? this information is irrelevant in my case, and applies in the best case to the newer productions, since "release = product is final" nowadays, because everyone can release somthing without problem and obstacles.

actually, the release here on csdb is also not a release. a release would have been, if i have finished it back in the 1980's and sold over the counter.

in 1988 maybe five guys have seen it. now 20 have downloaded it. and?

what`s the difference?

the point is:
you can write in fine prints and remarks whatever you like.
but when i open the website, and see 2016, for me is "wrong", sorry.

what if i had uploaded it , say, 2004 on some internet page, and 0 or 1 guy had downloaded it.
should we have written, release date = 2004? it makes no sense.
2017-01-01 10:34
chatGPZ

"release" in the scene always ment "it was spread to the general public". whether something was ready and rotting in your diskbox 20 years before that does not matter.
2017-01-01 10:45
jailbird

Quoting bernhard
what if i had uploaded it , say, 2004 on some internet page, and 0 or 1 guy had downloaded it.
should we have written, release date = 2004? it makes no sense.

It makes sense, since a public upload is a clear intention to officially release it. So yep, 2004 it is.

Quoting Groepaz
"release" in the scene always ment "it was spread to the general public". whether something was ready and rotting in your diskbox 20 years before that does not matter.

I concur, but still makes me wonder. I am credited in a release from 1995 which I've added to CSDb in 2002, and I honestly doubt that beside the creators, more than five people have copied/seen it before the upload.

We definitely had the intention to release it to the general public in 1995, but we never succeeded doing so globally due to the war and shit and it was rotting in our diskboxes for a while. Should I re-label the release to 2002?
2017-01-01 10:51
chatGPZ

no, because as you said, the intention was there :)
2017-01-01 11:35
bugjam

Quoting Jailbird

F. e. I have a packed executable which was given to a friend of mine +20 years ago to check it out. Whatever he did with it was out of my control (perhaps he spread it further, maybe he's the only one who saw it). If I upload that release now, will it count as a release from +20 years ago?

Yes, IMHO. Giving it out on whatever scale should count as released, because a you write, it has/could have been spread further.
It was available to someone besides the creator, that's how I woud define it. Unless of course it was labeled specifically as "no spread".
The reach of the release (i.e. how many people actually got it) is irrelevant, because as bernhard rightfully noted, many people did not have real "contacts" which would spread it further (be it in person, by mail, BBS or whatever other means).
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
CA$H/TRiAD
hedning/G★P
Acidchild/Padua
acrouzet/G★P
megasoftargentina
Paladin/G★P