Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > Weapons of Choice?
2005-03-20 09:20
Bizzmo
Account closed

Weapons of Choice?

Been away from the scene for some time, and was wondering what the latest tools people are using for GFX these days?

I did most of my work on Artist64 with a nifty neos mouse.

... 48 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2005-05-10 17:39
Wildstar

Quote: Is it just me, or is this discussion about as obsolete as Reflex-demos? I guess people on this scene have different views on how to make graphics, and whether or not it is the originality or the resulting artwork which weights heaviest and so on. But let's face it - why don't accept the scene as it is. If someone firmly believes that pixeling an entire picture on a limited platform (which the C-64 is) is teh shit, then let them hold on to their values. If someone believes that porting fonts and Vallejo-pics or photos from an Elle magazine is teh shit, then let them believe that. Noone should try to force values of what art should be about upon others, that's something which grows individually and over time. Let's accept each attempt to make art as art, and then judge the results according to our beliefs. I may not like certain graphics made for this platform, but I sure respect their intentions and dedication.

Yeah, and this is a boring conclusion to a pointless thread, i'm very well aware of that.

Bottom line would be judging graphics as art as they are art.

There is a line the art world between creating something, mixing content from magazines and combining it with creative aspects to make something new and of course just porting a pic from a magazine and throwing in a sprite logo.

I can see mix-composition where you may combine a photo of someone (perhaps someone you know) or photo from a magazine and mixing it in with another composition in a creative way with a quality of works. It is like an art gallery on our screens. Of course, the pics should fit well with the demo/game itself ofcourse. The whole composition isn't always just the pic but all that is being viewed so in other words the whole demo and the demo pages themselves are part of the composition. If we are going to present something, it makes sense that it ties well with the rest of the works. I also think about the music as well and it also should be fitting.

2005-05-10 19:33
Bizzmo
Account closed

Of course the practicaility aspect also comes into play here. Ok, it'd be nice to do everything on the 64... but not everyone still has the ability to have it set up all the time, and as already pointed out.. using a PC means you can move the images around the net and not have to worry about if your foppies are still going to format!

At the end of the day it's all about whatever your comfortable with. Let people judge you by what you do - not how you do it...
2005-05-10 19:56
TDJ

Not all graphics are art. Not all graphicians are artists.

<subliminal message>
And hey, TIMANTHES! WHOOHOO!
</subliminal message>

:)

2005-05-10 20:04
Bizzmo
Account closed

Well I certainly wouldn't consider anything I did as "art" as such! Just something to pass the time!
2005-05-11 00:13
Wildstar

Quote: Of course the practicaility aspect also comes into play here. Ok, it'd be nice to do everything on the 64... but not everyone still has the ability to have it set up all the time, and as already pointed out.. using a PC means you can move the images around the net and not have to worry about if your foppies are still going to format!

At the end of the day it's all about whatever your comfortable with. Let people judge you by what you do - not how you do it...

True, True.

As for me, I judge the works fundamentally like any other artwork under the basic principles of basic design. Art must have form and therefore must have organization OR inventive arrangement of all the visual elements according the principles that will develop unity in the artwork.

Most pieces that I have seen do have it. It isn't something one must analytically think about but often is done without much effort.

For me, I am not too anal and am loose and open minded.

Without form, it is pretty much "scribble". After that, I look then to content continuity. Of course, if there is content continuity problems, it would be a matter of disunity. Of course, I have to be loose and open minded to the content and figure the content.

As with any good piece of art, to be good, it MUST capture and hold attention otherwise it is boring and I loose attention but this is a smaller part.

2005-05-11 08:49
T.M.R
Account closed

In ye olde days (from about 1991 onwards) i was using Deluxe Paint and either the Pu239 Koala converter or, for three colour wash graphics, my own tool that could take two raw bitplanes and merge them into a bitmap - most of the time i was drawing in zoom, the only features i used a lot that can't be found on the C64 are things like the stencil, the shade feature and the circle tools.

These days i'm using a Windows box running ProMotion (which is able to match all my most used DPaint features) kitted out with the Pepto palette and it's zoom grid set for attribute cells, then shovelling the output through either ImageWire or my prototype Koala converter (planned for ImageWire 1.1 if i ever get around to it) which tags cells where i went mad with the colours so i can fix 'em manually or it can best guess. But i'm still doing the bulk of the work a pixel at a time at 8x zoom... =-)
[Wanders off again =-]
2005-05-11 15:08
VoDKa

Scetching done in ProMotion on PC.

Pixeling done in ELiTe-PAiNt (my never-will-be-finnished MC-bitmapeditor for PC)

On C64, I prefere Suxx Editor/Contrast & the FLI editor from FBI-Crew.

..But I think I have done my share of joystick-painting during the 80:th & early 90:th, and nowdays I´m lazy and stick to PC.
2005-06-24 21:52
Zeus

Quote: Scetching done in ProMotion on PC.

Pixeling done in ELiTe-PAiNt (my never-will-be-finnished MC-bitmapeditor for PC)

On C64, I prefere Suxx Editor/Contrast & the FLI editor from FBI-Crew.

..But I think I have done my share of joystick-painting during the 80:th & early 90:th, and nowdays I´m lazy and stick to PC.

Did someone already tell you that it´s a pitty and shame you won´t finish you painter for PC? :D
2005-08-09 07:24
Sledge

Yeah.. I agree that he should finish it too. Tried to convince him on LCP2005 without results :)

I use different editors for different tasks. When I do logos I outline them first in a good old program called Paint Magic. It has very nice paint features, good copy mode and a nice zoom mode. I like it alot. For more detailed pixel by pixel stuff I use Drazpaint most of the time. But sometimes I keep coming back for the not-so-good-at-all Koala Painter. Since I'm not really a fan of anything besides plain multicolor, I seldom paint in other formats. I have done some Fairlight logos in FLI, but it was never released though...

On the PC side I use Gimp on Linux when needed. But mostly I enjoy the feeling of creating stuff on the C64 directly. It's the use of this old computers that still keeps me with it. Doing all the stuff on PC would spoil my fun ;)
2006-03-19 08:44
Alias Medron

i use amica paint for mc pics wich is the best for that kind in my oppinion.
art studio for hires.. FLIP for fli and drazlace.
(oh.. and all those weird Dane editors :)

still.. it s hard to do all that in a real c64 today mostly because of lack of time.. so vice with the right pallette is the way to go.

i only miss the joystick pixeling theese days.. mouse does the job too but it's not the same feeling :)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Krill/Plush
Jazzcat/Onslaught
Guests online: 137
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)