Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > UFLI - Behind the scenes
2006-05-10 08:18
jailbird

UFLI - Behind the scenes

I thought about opening this topic to have a sensible discussion about C64 pixelling for a change. UFLI in this case. I'm still testing the editor and basically like it very much. So first of all, I'd also like to encourage other graphicians to have a try - noone said yet that it's a smooth, well designed editor with a surface that could bring a of lot of fun, even for the beginners. The tehnique is actually not die hard to learn as it looks at the first sight, and as I see, with a lot of practice a good skill level could be achieved. Secondly, I'd like to discuss the different UFLI tehniques, to share the experiences. And I'd especially like to hear some tricks from the UFLI-master himself, Tch! ;) Anyone into this? Tch, Deev, others? :)

... 64 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2006-06-02 09:18
HCL

@copyfault: The problem with fixed sprite pointers is that you only get 4*21 = 84 lines of graphics that way. With FLI every line you gat 8*21 = 168 lines, still not full screen.

With sprite crunching things get even worse, of course :). But i think you can get 168 lines there as well, in one bank. Think i made such a thing once..
2006-06-02 10:04
Copyfault

@HCL:yes, with spritecrunching "things"(which means mem_layout) get really confusing, but who says that we have to stick to one VIC_bank?

Even with spritecrunching we can handle 40 lines of spritedata when using 4 VRams (which is the case with UFLI). Now we change the used VRams every 40 lines; this need to be done 5 times, and we're lucky that there is enough mem for that, no matter how many sprites are used;)) Furthermore, the data can be stored "interlacefriendly", so that even for interlace no change of spr_pointers is needed...

...but, whom do I tell that;)?

CF
2006-06-03 14:41
Cruzer

@copyfault: No, I haven't started yet. I'm currently in quite an inactive period C64-wise.
2006-06-03 16:51
Mirage

Quote: @copyfault: I'm not sure what you mean by "x postitioning issues". But maybe I just haven't explained what I mean properly, so here's a little illustration that might help:

Ideally it should of course be up to the user to set multicolor, x-expansion, color, x-position, etc. for each sprite. Having a bit of overlapping between some normal x-expanded single color sprites might also be an idea, since that might make the transition from one sprite color to another easier.

The editor will of course be a challenge to code, but how about Timanthes - can't it handle all of this already? :o)

Yes, Timanthes can handle all of this already (well, the version i've got here can ;)

I've already made a picture in UFLI with non-x-expanded multicolour sprites just to test it (can't show that yet, it'll be in one of our new demos) and it works quite nice :)

Problem is I still had to set up the code and sprite-pointers tables myself, as timanthes doesn't spit those out yet :/
2006-06-03 17:14
WVL

Quote: Yes, Timanthes can handle all of this already (well, the version i've got here can ;)

I've already made a picture in UFLI with non-x-expanded multicolour sprites just to test it (can't show that yet, it'll be in one of our new demos) and it works quite nice :)

Problem is I still had to set up the code and sprite-pointers tables myself, as timanthes doesn't spit those out yet :/

Are there also Dragons and stuff?
2006-10-27 15:59
Dane
Account closed

Quote: Yes, Timanthes can handle all of this already (well, the version i've got here can ;)

Bumping this thread just because I made a picture with flexible sprite X-positioning for X2006. The influence definitely came from this discussion.

And UFLI with non-expanded sprites was done already in Phases and Bextor, my picture for Floppy 2003. I can send the editor if anyone wants - though it doesn't have any disk options.
2006-11-01 12:21
Helm
Account closed

If I can wrap my head around UFLI, I intend to do another triangle piece in that format. Probably not on c64 emulation as a) I'd rather not pixel in a 320x200 window b) because emulation colors are awful.

I guess I'll wait for Timanthes to do the format. *nudge* *nudge* *Mirage-nudge*

while we're at it, as it can be seen in the Dawnrazor video, I'd really like Timanthes to have a preview window. Or does it and I'm just missing it?
2006-11-01 19:05
Bizzmo
Account closed

Yeah, There's no preview window in Timanthes (yet) - It's something that I've been nagging Mirage for, (and I know Deev has been nagging too!)

Mirage keeps moaning about some fictional to-do list that's as long as his arm - or some excuse like that...
2006-11-13 20:43
Wile Coyote

Some years ago, possibly over 7 years ago i had ago at using the Ufli editor and ended up making a Crest logo. I decided to make a Crest logo as i thought, who else would ever attempt to use Ufli in their demos other than Crest. Maybe one day it'll show up :)
2009-02-21 20:20
algorithm

Quote: I'm getting more and more the impression that ufli with expanded multicolor sprites could be of use :)

Yes, Even standard Hires with multicolor underlay can suffice ;-}

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
DeeKay/Crest
Fungus/Nostalgia
katon/Lepsi De
JEZ
macx
YPS