Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > Tools for beginner
2007-08-04 11:33
Dr. 8 Bit
Account closed

Tools for beginner

Hi guys!! I'm totally new here... :P
I would like to make a logo and...can anyone tell me some tools for beginner??
other question...there is something like "LOGO FOR DUMMIES"?? or a guide for beginner?
thanks a lot guyz!!

... 50 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2008-04-29 08:37
Mace

Younger people are grown up with more information input, more impressions and an always quickly changing environment.
This makes them adaptive, apt in learning how to cope with changing situation and quick in absorbing information.

This has a downside: newbies are always drawn to new things, they constantly need stimuli.
As soon as it becomes clear that effort is needed to come to real results, but without great changes or without stimulating the senses, they leave for new stuff.

A lot of people by the age of 25 or younger want instant results by-the-push-of-a-button (preferable one on their flashy mobile phones).
I see this happening at work too: new guys create something that is roughly in the direction of the desired product, but they consider the details to be too much work and as soon as true thinking is required, they get tired and uninterested.

If you want newbies to stay, you have to grab them by the neck and make them work, make them sweat.
You have to put a lot of energy in teaching them a lot in a short period of time.
Keep the pressure high but keep them at their post.

As soon as you let go, they're off to something new and easy.

I know, I tried to teach a newbie something ;-)
2008-04-29 12:26
Archmage

Jackasser: I'm still a newbie (as I let you know every day) and I'm still around! :)

Oxpaint on the PC makes both .d64 and .prg btw.
2008-04-29 13:09
null
Account closed

Quote: Younger people are grown up with more information input, more impressions and an always quickly changing environment.
This makes them adaptive, apt in learning how to cope with changing situation and quick in absorbing information.

This has a downside: newbies are always drawn to new things, they constantly need stimuli.
As soon as it becomes clear that effort is needed to come to real results, but without great changes or without stimulating the senses, they leave for new stuff.

A lot of people by the age of 25 or younger want instant results by-the-push-of-a-button (preferable one on their flashy mobile phones).
I see this happening at work too: new guys create something that is roughly in the direction of the desired product, but they consider the details to be too much work and as soon as true thinking is required, they get tired and uninterested.

If you want newbies to stay, you have to grab them by the neck and make them work, make them sweat.
You have to put a lot of energy in teaching them a lot in a short period of time.
Keep the pressure high but keep them at their post.

As soon as you let go, they're off to something new and easy.

I know, I tried to teach a newbie something ;-)

why does it feel like I'm mentioned..? ;_)

------------------------------------
http://zomgwtfbbq.info
2008-04-29 15:27
hollowman

Quoting JackAsser

JackAsser wonders what the fuck happened. Why is it that most newbies quickly loose interest? Are they genuinely not interested to begin with?

Slashdot linked to an interesting article some time ago about how multitasking for humans damages the brain.I'll do some quoting even if the response from most people will be tl;dr ;) It goes quite well with what Mace wrote.

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200711/multitasking

" Consider a recent experiment at UCLA, where researchers asked a group of 20-somethings to sort index cards in two trials, once in silence and once while simultaneously listening for specific tones in a series of randomly presented sounds. The subjects’ brains coped with the additional task by shifting responsibility from the hippocampus—which stores and recalls information—to the striatum, which takes care of rote, repetitive activities. Thanks to this switch, the subjects managed to sort the cards just as well with the musical distraction—but they had a much harder time remembering what, exactly, they’d been sorting once the experiment was over"

"The next generation, presumably, is the hardest-hit. They’re the ones way out there on the cutting edge of the multitasking revolution, texting and instant messaging each other while they download music to their iPod and update their Facebook page and complete a homework assignment and keep an eye on the episode of The Hills flickering on a nearby television. (A recent study from the Kaiser Family Foundation found that 53 percent of students in grades seven through 12 report consuming some other form of media while watching television; 58 percent multitask while reading; 62 percent while using the computer; and 63 percent while listening to music. “I get bored if it’s not all going at once,” said a 17-year-old quoted in the study.) They’re the ones whose still-maturing brains are being shaped to process information rather than understand or even remember it."

2008-04-29 15:52
Cruzer

Multitasking is definitely bad for coding. It takes some time to get "in the zone" where you feel you're really inside the machine and can see what's going on. If you have to do other things at the same time, that's just not possible.

Just realized there's an old fashioned word for this, which almost isn't used anymore - "concentration".
2008-04-29 21:10
Sampaguita
Account closed

Good gawd. Two days not looking and the board gets overrun. ;)
Okay, now step-by-step.

@bugjam
I'll put the cable on my todo-list. Sounds worth to have a closer look at.
I already "complained" about the missing oldschool pixel compo at D.Fox (organizer and friend of mine), but he just ignored it. He's the one who "forced" me into tUM this year. ;)

@Oswald
Thanks alot for your kind offer. This time I'll ask on the party, but I'm sure I'll take you up on that offer another time. :)

@Mace
Ah, just what I needed. I'll take it with me to the ReWired party. Just in case. :D

@JackAsser/Mace/hollowman/Cruzer... etc.
I'm almost 31, so I think I'm out of this discussion. Furthermore I always try to keep my word, so I'll be on tUM this year and show a self made c64 picture. And I'm looking forward to be there and hopefully meet alot of nice sceners there. :)
2008-04-30 20:46
Exin64
Account closed

I only can second DCMP. For multicolor, Interpaint is best. Also because you can connect an Amiga Mouse which has a bit less crude movememnt like the commodore mouse.

There was some PC Tool i used for that demo i did recently. I dont remember it. But i know it was very userfriendly as well. Instead of Project one/Timanthes.
2008-06-22 14:38
Sampaguita
Account closed

My koala image ranked 2nd in gfx compo, but I still only have the koala raw data, no d64 file. I tried Little Koala Shower, but it doesn't recognize my file (I guess it wants a d64 image that contains my picture, but that is exactly what I want too), and 0xpaint crashes everytime I start to export my image to a d64 image file (even though I have installed all required plugins and even the latest VICE).

Another weird thing is, that 0xpaint sets a different background color when loading the image. After I setted the background color to the intended color, everything looks fine. So I can't help but wonder which program works correctly: ProjectOne or 0xpaint?

I would like to upload my file to csdb, but I want to provide the picture in the usual d64-format. Any helpful ideas?
2008-06-23 09:05
Sorex
Account closed

Don't worry, Franky/ROLE will upload it in a common format one of these days.
2008-06-23 14:56
Sampaguita
Account closed

Thanks Sorex! Now I feel a bit more relieved. :)

(a bit off-topic)
All in all it looks more and more that I have to get one of my C64s back to life, so I just had a look around for an Xx1541 cable. Besides a project for a USB-cable (U1541), I found XE, XM and XA. Which one would you recommend? The USB thingie sounds interesting (haven't seen something similar anywhere else), but still needs a bit of time I think. The other ones I can hardly differ from each other. :-?
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Scooby/G★P/Light
Alta
CA$H/TRiAD
Rock/Finnish Gold
Acidchild/Padua
Martin Piper