Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > a little Timanthes help
2008-06-25 08:12
Poeba
Account closed

a little Timanthes help

Hi,

i'm using Timanthes to make nice pc c64 gfx. I can save this to a .prg file. how can i load my picture in a gfx programe like Koala. i'm using a c64 emu to do some more pixeling? i just can't seem to find out how to load the coverted pic into a gfx programme.. Maybe i can covert the .prg to d64 to see the dir in some gfx programmmes..
mybe i'm just realy off...

What i'm trying to so is covert a pc pix to a c64 format gfx and than to c64 sprites.. any help will be great.

thanx..

... 9 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2009-08-23 21:38
Wile Coyote

You could always display your image using VICE, screen grab, paste into an art package, cut out the require area, and save as 320x200 image. Load saved this into Timanthes
2009-08-23 21:40
Celtic
Administrator

Will this convert with out creating gfxx bugs you think?
2009-08-23 21:58
Wile Coyote

If your original image worked fine on C64, then there will not be any colour clash issues.

There might be a problem with Timanthes recognizing the VICE pallet. If so, then simply screen grab the Timanthes pallet, and alter the pallet of your VICE screen grabbed image :)

2009-08-24 02:19
Deev

sometimes if you play around with the sliders on the reduce colours bit, it will fix any errors caused by different palettes, though obviously Wile Coyote's suggestion would also do the job.
2009-08-24 07:30
Oswald

Quote: OK, i have a timanthes type question i need some help with. Thought i would post it here and see what happens.

I have several disks with koala gfx (old logos and stuff like that) that i would like to be able to revisit in Timanthes (and/or Project one).

Can anyone tell me how to convert such a file to a PC format i can edit in timanthes?

I will appreciate any tip or help i can get...

thanks!

for P1 just export the koala file from the d64 to a standalone file, then you can load it straight away. one thing: p1 only allows loading koala if the current gfxmode is koala.
2009-08-24 19:12
Celtic
Administrator

HI Guys,

Well let me start by saying that i am still trying to do it right. While i spend a lot of time behind computers, hgx programs on pc are something i hardly use. Here's where i am:

I have the screenshots from vice, cropped my pics to the right size. But now indeed Timathes has some problems recognizing the right colours, creating a plenty of bugs as soon as i use the reduce colours option, and no matter what slide i use i cant get it right.

So i tried saving the timathes palette and loading it into vice. Made vice crash :(
I have a saved colour palette from Timathes. How can i load it into either photoshopt or paint so i can try to more easily change the colours (although i also dont know how to change the colours at once).

I know it might make me look stupid, but i really need some more help, either here or via PM. would be awesome.
2009-08-24 19:56
Oswald

afaik timanthes can not convert colors based on rgb distance, which is essential to recover an image this way. (correct me mirage) try p1, and the rgb/yuv distance filters.
2009-08-24 21:10
Celtic
Administrator

Hmmm In P1 i can get the results yes, but a lot more difficult to pixel in. so i am setting my main focus on timathes. But i does has problems yes :)

I know there must seem to be a timanthes helpfile somewhere, but it was not in the download. anyone know where i can find or access it? just to read about some of the basics of the program.
2009-08-24 21:22
Mirage

Quote: afaik timanthes can not convert colors based on rgb distance, which is essential to recover an image this way. (correct me mirage) try p1, and the rgb/yuv distance filters.

Timanthes can do that:

1. Load 32 bit rgba image
2. Naturally, the palette will be empty for 32 bit rgba images, so in the 'colors window' click the second button and select 'reset to default palette' which will give you the c64 palette.
3. Double click on the layer with the image in the 'layer window' and tick the 'indexed color' checkbox. This will turn the layer into an 8bit layer and remap the image to the currently selected palette based on rgb distance.

It's not rocket science, but you need to know how timanthes handles colour palettes.

This is the easiest way i could imagine it working with both 32bits and 8bits images, if it's too hard to understand then please tell me an easier way of doing it - I'm open for suggestions :)
2009-08-26 00:42
Celtic
Administrator

it is working quite easily. thanks mirage.

And i have a weird request for the next timanthes. How about giving the preview screen an option with simulated borders on/off. So you can check out what it would look like in context with borders... maybe stupid, but i would sure like it.

and thanks for this amazing pixel engine :) It gave me back my love for c64-pixelling.
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
MAT64
Paul Bearer
WVL/Xenon
Guests online: 376
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)