Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Composing > Compiling SDI tune makes notes and sounds go crazy
2016-02-01 09:28
Psylicium

Compiling SDI tune makes notes and sounds go crazy

I have been using CheeseCutter so far, but I am determined to learn SDI as well. I can make sounds and play a sequence so far. It plays fine in SDI, but when I compile the tune and test it out, something strange happens.

These are the steps - listen to the result: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYhJ6MPtMTc

1. Made a short tune with CH4 turned off
2. Dumped via C=+S (already did these before I recorded the video)
3. Loaded SDI tass
4. Loaded S.SDI21-N50 (I assume this is the singlespeed player?)
5. Appended music data to the end and compiled

The first pattern seem to play fine, but when it repeats, the notes and sounds all over the place.

I am following the exact steps SIDWAVE described in his tutorials, and the stuff I have read here on CSDb - but I'm obviously missing something :)
2016-02-01 16:51
GH

Doesn't it need some sorta command or line to tell what patterns/song to repeat? Like $FF00 or something, because it only plays it once...
I didn't work with SDI yet but I always wanted to make a comment on something like this ;D
2016-02-02 07:51
Psylicium

Haha :) Well, you were on to something, Gerard. I completely forgot about setting up the sequence order. It sounds right when compiling and testing now, but I still get the dreaded ?OUT OF MEMORY when I go to basic (^1) and try to enter the monitor to save the damn thing :)

I used VICE's built-in monitor instead, and did end up with a PRG file. I then tried to convert it in SIDEdit 4.02, but getting it to play in e.g. Sidplay2/w is quite random. When I saved it, I did remember to add one to the end address like described in the tutorial, and set loadAddress, initAddress and playAddress in SIDEdit - and I did get it to play ONE time :) Yay!

However - if the PRG file is made correctly, shouldn't you at least be able to play it directly in Sidplay2? And is SIDEdit the easiest (best?) way to convert PRG to SID, or how do you guys do it?
2016-02-02 08:18
Psylicium

aHAAA! Nevermind my previous post. I think I got it figured out now. Jan was using an Action Replay in his tutorials, and I was missing that. No more ?OUT OF MEMORY whinings :) And about SIDEdit... I forgot to set the flags before (video/sid model etc.), but now it seems to be working as it should. Nice! :)
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Genius/Xenon
andym00
Exploding Fi../Techn..
subjik/F4CG
maak
redcrab/G★P