Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Composing > Unepic Stoned High SID Collection
2016-07-20 20:46
lft

Unepic Stoned High SID Collection

So, the entire HVSC was uploaded to youtube. Nice work, and great outreach effort! The mind shudders at the effective compression ratio...

But did you realise that there's a side benefit to this project? Whenever some mainstream producer "steals" a sid, the youtube version of that sid will soon get flagged for copyright violation, and the operators of the youtube channel will immediately get to know of these infringements, and presumably spread the word. Of course, one can argue about why making a commercial hit out of a sid is immoral while distributing the hvsc isn't. But regardless of one's position in this matter, there's a beautiful irony in using youtube's idiotic copyright violation system in reverse; what was intended as accusations will in fact come out as admissions of guilt.
2016-07-20 21:10
Moloch

Doesn't seem to be the entire HVSC, my searches don't show some SIDs from the last few updates.
2016-07-20 21:15
Jammer

Yeah, it seems to cover tunes before 2010 or so :( I have only 360p there which sounds very so so and is destroyed by compression.
2016-07-21 07:16
Mixer

I am not sure if I approve this or not, but I am suspicious of all social media and big business web-services in generally.

They tend to force their view of the world, including certain laws and principles upon the users regardless how they apply regionally or whether the user agrees or not, while moving the responsibility of solving the resulting conflicts to the rest of the people or even the non-users that do not like to have anything to do with the tube, but they kind of have to because of some one elses actions.

The mentioned copyright flagging system is one of the systems they use for it. While I agree with LFT that the system may work for the benefit of the c-64 musicians too, it only works as long as you agree with the system rules.

I do not like the requirement of being in the system to be able to defend yourself from it.

We've all heard the examples where non-commercial or published composers had their music used in ads or other videos that were submitted to youtube. Later, when the original artists wanted to submit their stuff themselves to youtube, the content was flagged as owned by someone else and there is a lot of bullshit involved in setting things right and youtube helps with none of it.

I wonder how many dispute notices that sid collection gets. There are many cover tunes on it.

So, given choice I'd like to stay away from the tube and the likes, unless they're ready to negotiate.(negotiate, lol, so 1900's)

Anyway, I still watch tube and approve the ad-revenue that goes to the rightful content owners, though the system that suggests content is complete bs.
2016-09-29 03:30
goto80

I'm not sure, but I think one needs to be a (paying) YouTube partner to register as an owner of an audio recording. It's usually not the composer who does that, but the distributor or publisher.

So if someone releases a C64-song through a publisher that does that, they might end up flagging the uploads of USHSC. And maybe even bring the whole channel down. Which obviously would give Mixer a straw in his hat. :P
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
csabanw
Guests online: 131
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)