Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Composing > Mp3 to sid
2007-12-11 22:00
The Shadow

Mp3 to sid

Is there a way to convert mp3s to sids?

... 39 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2014-05-25 14:52
algorithm

A quick few seconds of the daft punk encode.

This demonstrates the issue with the encoding for low bass frequencies.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g7d5dteyuuh4g04/testd.prg
2014-10-05 07:39
Svetlana
Account closed

Maybe some pre-encoding filtering of the source material could help with the bass problem?
2014-10-05 09:53
Flavioweb

Ok...
I do not understand anything about these "coding" things, but to me sounds like if the sound is played back with some "volume overload".
Pretty much if the "wave" had to be forced as "square" at high volume instead of what it should be.
I don't know if the "square wave" is created during encoding or deconding process...
For this reason, the defect is more audible at low frequencies because the frequency is lower and the "peaks" are more distant from each other ... the "square" is bigger ...
...very very very IMHO eh!
2014-10-05 09:59
iAN CooG

2014-10-05 11:18
algorithm

Read the production notes on how some of this issue was rectified on the encoding end here http://csdb.dk/release/?id=133293&show=notes#notes
2014-10-05 14:36
NecroPolo

Algorithm, full respect for the effort. It is really stunning how far you could get with it. Hats off!

As far as I can observe this respectable way may be refined enough to work well on certain type of songs. The main question in the OP's was answered, yes it seems to be possible.

An another question is, how is it possible to create a SID conversion of a .mp3 song has the clarity of, for example, Jeroen Tel's S-Express or Rob Hubbard's Delta?

The answer is (just like anything that gives great results), there is not a simple or one-click way. The shortest method that I know requires some workaround and some practice / experience / skill:

#1 - Learn analythical listening. For a good SID conversion you have to learn of how to break down the actual song to three basic elements: rhythm (drums), bassline, melody line. That is, most of the time, learning of how to find the essential elements for 3 channels sound and dump all the rest.

#2 - Produce a 3-channel MIDI file. You can google up one or with a little music (some instumental experience is good but not necessary) and analythical listening skill above, you can make your own. In my experience, feeding the notes is the most time consuming thing during a SID creation, setting sounds is much easier and faster. In a contemporary DAW environment like CuBase, Ableton, Sonar, Reaper and fuckin overhyped junk ProTools you can find an ample of handy tools to create, edit, refine MIDI files efficiently and very precisely.

#3 - Once you have a 3-channels MIDI file that is broken down to drums, bass and melody, you must quantise it. If the notes start and end perfectly aligned to the tempo grid it will be a great help to the next step.

#4 - Feed it with SID-Wizard V1.7 MIDI (and XM) to SID conversion tool called SWMconvert.exe that is a rather smart little proggie that makes flawless conversions unless you do something wrong with the base MIDI file. In the case of a simple structure song there should not be any problem with it but if you want to convert a complicated one (for example where the meter is changed from the most typical 4/4 to 3/4 or 5/4 and so on) you may need some workaround. We have made a very extensive testing and the converter tool worked pretty well (and consequent) even in the case of really complicated material. There is an example of a jazzy piano piece 8 steps with an ample of irregular rhythm patterns that was used for testing. It took quite a long time to get it right but 99% of the time it was all about understanding and fixing the mistakes I did with the exported MIDI file. Thanks to Hermit's attention on details, the converter has a perfect MIDI file reading method and works very consistent once you understand the know-how. In the newer releases you can find a simple demo session that I created with Reaper with some very basic guide.

#5 - If you have the right notes and the right pattern structure you just have to set the sounds. SIDwizard has quite an extenisve instruments library that you can finetune for your own taste or just use them for their own right.

#6 - If you want the tune to be more C64 specific and full, you may fill up the empty spaces with other sounds. You may merge drums and bass notes (so you put bass and drums to one channel and you have 2 channels for melody and stuff) with special instruments that for example has a short bassdrum sound in the first couple of frames and a melodic instrument sound during the rest. Or you can switch instruments on one channel, that's just like using a 1-channel sequencer.

But it's all about experimenting that is up to you from this point.
2014-10-05 17:58
algorithm

The manual method is certainly by far the best (dependant on the musician) however there are certain sections which may need some automatic help (e.g speech) in particular to make it sound like the original (and not vocoder type)
2014-10-05 21:20
NecroPolo

Exactly. That's why I think your conversion made a quite repsectable job. I have checked the samples and there are promising ones. Kudos!
2014-10-05 21:20
NecroPolo

2014-10-05 23:42
algorithm

An update. Using frequency freeze and side-frequency blend.
Not only does it increase the quality, it increases the pack rate of the data.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/heq2noxyozu35wy/frodigi4-preview.wav?..
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Cresh/Elysium
kbs/Pht/Lxt
Pad/G★P
Guests online: 136
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)