Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Composing > Things you should not do with GoatTracker?
2012-07-08 18:53
la_mettrie

Things you should not do with GoatTracker?

My efforts to make GoatTracker music have ran into serious difficulties because songs sound highly different after converting them into SID format (and the problem is not with SIDplayers).

Before I start to make analysis in detail, I would like to know if there are some instructions somewhere or other general principles on what things one should not to do with GoatTracker in order to avoid troubles.

The problems are related at least to the volumes of instruments and tempo issues (too fast notes are not played at all, ie. F03 tempo without spaces between notes). But there may be some other issues too. I will soon do detailed analysis.
2012-07-08 19:20
Hein

Maybe you use a too long hard-restart timer when exporting? F03 speed is able to handle 2 frames max, I think.
2012-07-08 19:44
cadaver

Generally, at least ADSR problems result from using too fast decay or release and the editor playroutine being too "perfect" as it's never delayed by badlines, or by different code paths taking different amount of cycles (it just dumps all SID registers to reSID in rapid succession).

You can try the -Z command line parameter to introduce random delays to the SID writes, for example -Z63.

Also, with the kind of player GT has (ie. heavily optimized for low rastertime, skips effects when reading new note data), I would personally avoid tempo 3 notes entirely, or only use it for legato passages.
2012-07-08 21:13
Soren

It's also recommendable to dig deep into studying/testing what the SID envelopes are able to cope with.
At speed 3 (frames) one should not try to trig notes at each step when using hard restart, as that cuts 2 frames of a sound and if the first frame of a sound is used for resetting oscillator you won't get anything good out of that.
Gate is switched off when hard restart (ADSR manipulation) happens.
So it would look a bit like this:

frame 1: reset oscillator (no waveform played) + gate on
instrument ADSR settings.

frame 2+3: gate off and ADSR-manipulation that cuts the sound

Atleast to me that makes a bit of sense why it won't give a good result. :-)

I don't use GT myself, but I nearly never use hard restart anymore and quite often not even oscillator reset.
Basically just gate on/off to trig the sounds.
It's good for many things but especially leads will click less and sound more lively. But handle adsr with care ;-)
Good luck!
2012-07-09 16:42
la_mettrie

Thanks for your advice so far

Two instruments I found problematic on my current project (played in funktempo 05-06) have ADSR values 0422 & 264B

Oddly enough, the latter instrument also sometimes throws too loud notes when played on GoatTracker itself. It seems to happen in a random way and these random loud notes may end to SID conversions as well. The first instrument is rather too silent after conversion and adds some little "hiss" in the process.
2012-07-09 18:12
Linus

I can imagine the attack value of "2" to be causing problems in certain circumstances. Why don't you share your *.sng file and I'll have a look.
2012-07-11 06:13
la_mettrie

^
Yeah, I actually changed the ADSR values of problematic instruments from 2 to 3 and after that they still sound the same but now they actually work well after converting the song.

This is great since I was worried that it will require a huge amount of work to get it working.

So, everything went better than expected :)

thanks to everyone
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Oswald/Resource
MCM/ONSLAUGHT
Didi/Laxity
Røly/Mayday!
rikib80
Guests online: 87