Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Updating releases after initial upload
2014-01-31 13:44
jailbird

Updating releases after initial upload

OK, maybe a one pixel change doesn't grants a new entry, but lately I've seen people updating their releases after fixing bugs and stuff, then deleting the old download link and adding a new one. So, up to that point, 2-3 different versions of the same release exists somewhere.

If f.e. a data file is revised to an executable, an update is logical and even a must, but in these particular cases the authors are changing the actual visual characteristics of their work:

CSDb Logo
Weightless Fish Floating over a Worm Infested Desert

Following the same logic, I could go back to my old stuff, change a pixel here and there, refurbish them to modern standards, silently update them, and no one would notice except for those who're really familiar with my works.

PBY & FatFrost, it's really nothing personal, I'm just wondering where's the line where we'd have to open a new entry for an updated release?

... 15 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2014-02-01 16:49
spider-j

Zirias: I think you got this topic wrong. This topic is about people releasing stuff and changing the release shortly after.
You did everything correct. This is a database and everyone can and should change entries/information that are/is wrong. So of course the file that you released in 2013 belongs to the entry of that release with releasedate 2013. Personally I do not think that your WIP from 2006 is a release that belongs here. And if so: for sure in a seperate entry.
2014-02-01 18:03
jailbird

Quoting Zirias
The one that got uploaded here was located on my private SVN server. I didn't configure any r/o access control. The link was never announced, but passed around privately to some people. That's what I meant: do you consider this a "release"?

No, since it wasn't you who uploaded it and you neither gave permission to anyone to spread your work.

However that gives me an idea! Now, as the game cracking scene is more or less nonexistent, maybe it's time to train and first release unfinished demos. Unlimited vectors? Y/N. I have quite a few effects from HCL, anyone interested in first hand orrie trading? :)

But seriously, the correct approach would be in your case, to explain the situation to one of the mods, remove the unfinished release from the database, and to open a new entry on CSDb when a proper, formal version is released.

Holding back or revoking unofficial versions of releases is quite common, e.g. look at the party versions of many demos.
2014-02-01 18:34
Moloch

Whether or not someone had his permission to spread the file doesn't matter, once its out there its released. There are tons of similar "don't spread" releases here in the database already.

I certainly understand your viewpoint but this is why you don't give people access before release. I think Tomcat learned that lesson the hard way last year when an unofficial NOS release was spread and entered here.
2014-02-01 18:42
Zirias

@Moloch, when I have something lying around unprotected, it could even get indexed by google and of course nobody needs permission to spread it, as long as there's no license attached. The point is just that the entry was wrong -- the release date didn't match the file (off by 7 years!). As I didn't think the crappy WIP version would be interesting to anyone and got there by accident, I put the real 2013 file there. If I ever experience something like that again, I'll contact a mod instead. Thanks, Jailbird.
2014-02-01 18:52
jailbird

Quoting Moloch
Whether or not someone had his permission to spread the file doesn't matter, once its out there its released. There are tons of similar "don't spread" releases here in the database already.

Aren't those releases still on CSDb just because the authors never tried to get them down? What about the cracks of new(er) games which are not welcome/featured here for whatever reason?

Also wondering, aren't the releases protected under authors' rights? So an NTD would hold on steady grounds.

The disclaimer says:

Quote:
Should you find something here which is in violation with copyright, personal data privacy or similar, feel free to contact us as admin[at]c64scene.net for immediate removal.
2014-03-19 19:29
soci

Submitted by MacGyver on 19 March 2014
Soci: Thanks! But again: New version - new CSDb release entry!

Ok, maybe next time I'll not forget this.

I have no problem with creating a new release in general. However it would be good to have "clone release" function which copies most of the constant release data like type, released by, credits, website, etc. which is otherwise a pain to re-enter. Then I would be less inclined to just add a new download instead. As a bonus the relationship between releases could be stored like older/newer versions.
2014-03-20 00:45
chatGPZ

Quote:
What about the cracks of new(er) games which are not welcome/featured here for whatever reason?

it has been tolerated to not have the files linked IF (and only if) they are publicly (!) available elsewhere, meaning one of the FTP sites listed in the rules. also in almost all of these cases, it was the cracking group itself who didnt provide a file - technically anyone who got the file could upload it to the entry in order to complete it.
and yes, this rule must be changed somehow, since TDD is no more accepting cracks, and none of the cracking groups managed and/or bothers to get a proper FTP online.
2014-03-20 08:54
spider-j

Quoting Groepaz
technically anyone who got the file could upload it to the entry in order to complete it.

I don't think this works with locked entries.

Quote:
and yes, this rule must be changed somehow, since TDD is no more accepting cracks, and none of the cracking groups managed and/or bothers to get a proper FTP online.

Since CSDb allows adding "not public" downloads, I'd appreciate if this option would be used instead of not uploading at all.
2014-03-20 20:48
Romppainen
Account closed

Quoting spider-j
Since CSDb allows adding "not public" downloads, I'd appreciate if this option would be used instead of not uploading at all.

+1, at least until proper FTP site is available again.
2014-03-20 21:19
chatGPZ

Quote:
I don't think this works with locked entries.

if an incomplete entry is locked, contact one of the trusted users or a moderator. incomplete entries shouldnt be locked in the first place :) (imho this locking bullshit should be removed completely, now that we have proper logging)
Quote:

indeed - that was the intend more or less. (personally i dont see a reason for why not ALL downloads should be like that, but thats another thing)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Knut Clausen/SHAPE/F..
Matt
Steffan/BOOM!
Cresh/Elysium
El Gato
zscs