Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Release Etiquette
2014-07-01 20:40
The Phantom

Release Etiquette

Hi Everybody!

What do you feel is appropriate wait time after giving a group "something" (logo, code, etc)? I ask because I've several logos I'm working on, which brings me to another question.
Should these logos be given to a group member, or released here? I ask this because IMO a group would prefer a logo that hasn't been seen (current logo works - Onslaught, Genesis Project and Nostalgia). The groups/members never asked for these logos, I just felt like drawing these particular group names.

I also gave The Shadow/Avatar a new intro. This was about 2 weeks ago, which may bring us back to the first question.

What are your thoughts on this? How much time should elapse after you give a group something?

My thoughts are this: After giving said product, there should be at least a months time before considering release. Again, any and all thoughts are helpful.

2014-07-02 08:26
Didi

I guess it's up to you how eagerly you want to show your work to the public. I have several logos on stack from our graphician which were never shown to the public yet. They are still waiting to be used somewhen. If graphics were not made for a production currently being worked on, it may take years until they fit somewhere.
2014-07-02 17:26
TheRyk

Actually you think in the right direction already.

Imho it depends...

Did you do it just for fun?
-> Do watcha want with it.

Do you want it to be used in a release?
-> Then I think, you're right, any group will prefer hitherto unreleased gfx for their intros/demos/etc. So I'd first send it to the group (maybe even an early version) and let them tell you if they use it at all/when or what they'd like you to change etc. If they still don't use it after some time (let's say a couple of years) but you want to share it because you like it, release it yourself.
2014-07-02 17:49
bugjam

Agreed. And maybe, if you wait long enough, you can also collect enough for a nice logo collection. :-)
2014-07-02 18:24
The Phantom

I've always been curious on this and I thank the few that have given input.

I honestly can't think of a good enough answer. While I do like doing stuff for others without them asking, I think that is what caused this topic.

I'm not sure a "deadline" qualifies if you do the artwork without the group asking.

A logo show, for me, is, well, pretty stupid. That's just my opinion though. I know people still code these things, but they just fall short for me.

I used to ADMIRE JSL's artwork. He GAVE me some artwork that I never asked for and I told him it would get used in an upcoming demo, but he released the artwork anyway. I think a month before my release. It was because of this action that I no longer appreciate ANYTHING he does. I don't want the same actions being taken on me.

Don't get me wrong here, A logo show CAN be great, depending on who codes it and how the artwork is being displayed and/or used. Scrolling the screen with 3 different graphics just falls short. Slam 3 different pics in memory and be done with it seems a bit lazy. For me, I would exploit that routine and draw 1 continuous graphic. THAT would kick ass and show skill.

Anyway, I got carried away there. No offense to you JSL at all. I still RESPECT your artwork and YOU for that matter, so be careful in how you react.

I asked this because I feel it applies to a wider range of things, not just graphics.

While I would love to see the new Avatar intro being used in front of a crack, I simply don't know how long I should wait for that.

I also agree that the artwork should be given to the group in a private manner, allow them time to use it, but once again, how much time should pass.

Another thought comes to mind, Would it be easier to just code the intro and give it to the group, instead of just a graphic? It took me about 6 months to code up the Avatar intro and I had to code it pal/ntsc (I wasn't asked to, just figured it was a crack intro and it should work anywhere).

I babbled, sorry about that ;)
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Frostbyte/Artline De..
Guests online: 125
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)