Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Bomb alert gone off due to C64
2016-01-04 15:06
TWW

Bomb alert gone off due to C64

Hello everybody and merry x-mas/happy New year and all that. I wanted to share an event that happened last night...

I've spent the holidays in Norway and was on my way back to Brazil. I had bought several C64's and C64/128 stuff which I was bringing back Down. One motherborad had a reset cable soldered onto the reset and ground pin on the user port which I actually tugged it off (ugly solder job + thick Power cable).

My wife took care of the packing of the luggage (which was 4 x Samsonite XL size to get Space for all the stuff). She took the mobo but instead of throwing the cable she stuffed one end into the RF modulator Box before putting it into the suitcase.

At the airport after checking in and sitting Down With a Cold beer while waiting for the plane, they called up my name on the loadspeaker and I had to og With the Security guys and open one very suspicious suitcase and prove I was just a nerd and not a terrorist ;-)

Anyways, thought it was funny^^
2016-01-04 15:23
CreaMD

cool story ;-)
Any photos of the alleged "bomb"?
I think it has shareable potential (on FB ;-)
r
2016-01-04 15:54
enthusi

I friend who once visited bought a small telescope in germany and we were building LaserPong(TM) for the C64 (two 1541 motor drives glued together for XY control and a laserdiode attached). We fried many of those cheap 1 eur laserpointers before so he took back with him about a dozen. All stuffed inside the tube of the telescope.
Took him several hours at airport security.
2016-01-04 16:30
Oswald

when we were on our first X in the netherlands on the way home at the hungarian borders (late night 03:00 am, hungary is not yet part of schengen) the officers asked us where we're coming from, we said we were at the netherlands , "oh really?" they smiled "you had some partying eh?" "yeah we were on a party". Then stand aside with the car please! and they checked every inch of the car ;)

dont know if this is obvious enough, they thought we might brought some weed from the dutch brothers :)
2016-01-04 16:41
chatGPZ

one time when we drove into(!) NL we got searched like that.... now that was weird. (and when driving home, with weed, no problem =P)
2016-01-04 18:43
TheRyk

Had similar airport experience twice with really old (but well-post 8 bit era) portable computers. Once was personal luggage control: The only way to talk the guys out of thinking my ancient-cheapo-laptop (which I only kept cause it's got an LPT port and ZoomFloppy was not invented back then) was dangerous, was to turn on the machine to prove it actually _IS_ a computer. I was a little nervous cause it was a really weak and slow thing built around Y2K with WinXP on it, took about 10 min to boot :D

The other time they really called for me via speakers and did (or faked?) some chemical test I did not really understand. In the end they let me keep my computer but confiscated some of my lighters. Was back in the time when I didn't know whether to keep it in personal luggage or main luggage was the bigger "crime". ^^

Guess sooner or later I'll get the same trouble with my Thinkpad cause the case already started dissipating and some microchips are already visible.

PS: Don't leave your luggage unattended. Really. Don't. Colleague was a little out of his mind at airport and got pretty close to paying for bomb disposal unit.
2016-01-05 00:40
Graham
Account closed

Quote: one time when we drove into(!) NL we got searched like that.... now that was weird. (and when driving home, with weed, no problem =P)

That's not too weird. While selling weed is legal, growing weed is still illegal in the Netherlands, so coffeeshops often get their supply from germany.
2016-01-05 10:29
Rastah Bar

makes Sense.
2016-01-05 11:45
Romppainen
Account closed

So who of you accidentally left packed breadbox to Arlanda airport?
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Mike
jmin
Scooby/G★P/Light
Flex/Artline Designs
kbs/Pht/Lxt
t0m3000/ibex-crew