Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > What's stopping someone from creating a fake account for downvoting?
2013-02-05 21:29
grasstust

What's stopping someone from creating a fake account for downvoting?

I just don't get why people are allowed to vote anonymously...
What's stopping me then, from making a new fake account just
for down (or up)-voting someone?

I think this happened to Offence's Trick and Treat. Somebody just
made a fake account and voted 1 and 2. And it just fell from top 10 to
below 70.

I have never seen a downvoter voting with a handle, they're all anonymous...

... 47 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2013-02-10 13:17
Bitbreaker

Funny how everyone wants to interpret the stats in a different way, until it suits ones needs :-)
2013-02-10 13:29
Peacemaker

suggestion: ask the admin of http://remix.kwed.org/ . the voting system works just fine there =)
its kind of works like i states earlier on here.
2013-02-10 13:48
Sander

What's stopping someone from creating a fake account for downvoting?
Dignity should.
2013-02-10 18:20
chatGPZ

"groepaz: and your answer was not worth an admin ;)"
i know. you could have known the type of answer you'll get by reading up on earlier threads on the same topic though.

bitbreaker has leading for that matter.
2013-02-10 19:17
TomoAlien
Account closed

Quote: What's stopping someone from creating a fake account for downvoting?
Dignity should.

Too bad dignity is becoming more rare these days.
2013-02-10 19:25
chatGPZ

"Dignity should"
it should, btw, also enable us to let people vote whatever the fuck they want anonymously :)
2013-02-11 09:19
Magnar

Why not split anonymous vote statistics from those who actually voted with their real names?

By Making two different scores and lists out of the votes.

I would prefer that default is that you always vote with your real name unless you press an "Anonymous vote" button on the release page in order to vote anonymously. Everyone registered can then vote anonymously and have their votes separated from those who vote with real handles.

In this case, you can preserve the both systems (because, yes - some of us just simply wants to vote anonymously or not vote at all) and get two interesting score results.

Maybe also the anonymous vote should be like facebook "like" or "dislike" button. It really might not need a total grade from 1-10...

My thoughts on the subject - go implement. :)
2013-02-11 12:55
Fierman

btw.. a voting system has lead to heated debates on other databases as well, even where the objects subject to voting were not submitted by users themselves. Boardgamegeek is a famous example. Eventually a weighted voting system -with dummy votes- was implemented, and the underlying algorithm is kept secret to prevent users from up- or downvoting.
Quite sad.. Methinks there are more important things in life to waste energy on.

from http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/BoardGameGeek_FAQ :

"What is the Difference Between BGG Rating and User Rating?

If you look at a list of games within BGG you may see a BGG Rating number between 1 and 10. If you then click on that game and go to the game's main page you will see a User Rating and an Average Rating. Most of the time, the BGG Rating number will be different from the User and Average Ratings. Why is this?

The User Rating of a game is the Average Rating rounded down to 1 decimal point. The Average Rating for a game is the average of all ratings from registered BGG users that the game has received, calculated by adding up all individual ratings and dividing by the number of ratings.

The BGG Rating is based on the Average Rating, but the number is altered. BoardGameGeek's ranking charts are ordered using the BGG Rating. To prevent games with relatively few votes climbing to the top of the BGG Ranks, artificial "dummy" votes are added to the User Ratings. These votes are currently thought to be 100 votes equal to the mid range of the voting scale: 5.5, but the actual algorithm is kept secret to avoid manipulation. The effect of adding these dummy votes is to pull BGG Ratings toward the mid range. Games with a large number of votes see their BGG Rating alter very little from their Average Rating, but games with relatively few user ratings will see their BGG Rating move considerably toward 5.5. This is known as "Bayesian averaging" and a quick search of both BGG and/or the Web will reveal much discussion on the topic.

In effect, usually the games with many votes will Rank higher than those games with the same Average Rating but fewer votes.
2013-02-11 19:46
chatGPZ

Quote:
Why not split anonymous vote statistics from those who actually voted with their real names?

personally i dont see the point to show names at all and would rather remove that "feature" completely. no need for a second class vote result and everything connected to it.
2015-03-29 21:39
The Shadow

Creating a fake account for the purposes of downvoting is beyond sad.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Mike
psych
jmin
wil
Mibri/ATL^MSL^PRX
wacek/arise