Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > Requests > Old U.S. Phreaking Text Writer Files
2013-09-07 21:56
Codey

Old U.S. Phreaking Text Writer Files

Just got done reading "Exploding the Phone" and it brought back alot of memories. Anyone got any of these files from the late 80s/early 90s? They were made with those scrolling text file makers and listed PBXs, loops, trunk lines, etc.

Thanks.
2013-09-08 12:53
dink
Account closed

Kinda funny you mention this - I remember getting a disk from someone with hundreds of "??? BOX" files on it, in 1988 or so, some were quite funny to read :) Unfortunately now that disk is long-gone.
2013-09-08 18:16
Jon
Account closed

I have quite a few, but they are in .seq files (buffers from old BBSes). I also have five notebooks full of PBX, loop lines, payphone numbers and LD dialups. It's all a bunch of dead knowledge now though.

Anecdote: I made a "brown box" (a simple circuit to tie both of the household's phone lines together) and for grins I would often call payphones while on Alliance conferences. Disneyworld was a favorite to call, because so many people that picked up the phone would play along. We would call airports and tell them to "get the briefcase in locker 44. Do not open it!" or call a mall and tell them that we saw them shoplifting or whatever.

We would just laugh and laugh...

Anyway, if you're looking for something with a little more substance than a bunch of old numbers, check out textfiles.com. It has a LOT of BBS / phreaking / hacking / anarchy lore from "back in the day". My "t-files" have been there for many years now.
2013-09-09 02:35
Codey

Thanks I'll check out textfiles.com.

I remember waking up every couple days to two or three working codes on my printer from the 64 hacking those six digit calling card templates using brute force. Good times.
2013-09-09 18:26
Six

Some good stuff over at textfiles.com

Back in the day I remember having / releasing a bunch of collections that had been done in noters instead of seq files. I'd love to find copies of some of those now. There were also a couple of diskmags that had a bunch of information in them on phreaking and related topics.

BTW, a multi-line conferencing beige box is called a "DLoC Box" :) http://www.aboutphone.info/lib/phreak/boxes-2.html
2013-09-09 22:58
Jon
Account closed

Nah, it didn't have that level of sophistication. It was simply the two house lines wired together with a switch in a project box. A lot of people thought I was some sort of megaphreaker when I threw the switch and they heard a dialtone, but it was just a 1st grade hackjob... but damned if it wasn't a ton of fun on conferences.

In fact, here are the plans I actually used:

http://www.textfiles.com/phreak/BOXES/brown-bx.txt

Hm... The DLOC box looks to be a hybrid of the beige and the brown box. Interesting! I made a beige box but I never used it. I was about 13 years old and screwing around with Bell equipment would have landed me in more trouble than I wanted.

According the the Dark Lords of Chaos, you could buy a DLOC box from them for 7.50, complete with their group's logo! I would be all over that today! :D
2013-09-10 01:03
Six

Aye, one of the guys in the group worked in a sign shop so we had a neverending supply of vinyl stickers. And the little enclosures we built the boxes in we swiped from a defunct trailer park, and of course the wire all came from raiding fortresses. I had one with 8 or 9 pairs on it and some old rotary phone parts to dial out on any of them. (Unfortunately that wound up in an evidence locker, but better it than me)

Beige boxing - probably the most useful tool in the phreak's arsenal.
2013-09-10 01:06
Six

Dunno why that posted twice...
2013-09-10 09:50
Jon
Account closed

If you still have one of these, you should bring it to ECCC. I'd love to have a look at it!
2013-09-10 15:16
Codey

Quote: Some good stuff over at textfiles.com

Back in the day I remember having / releasing a bunch of collections that had been done in noters instead of seq files. I'd love to find copies of some of those now. There were also a couple of diskmags that had a bunch of information in them on phreaking and related topics.

BTW, a multi-line conferencing beige box is called a "DLoC Box" :) http://www.aboutphone.info/lib/phreak/boxes-2.html

This is exactly what I was looking for - the note files. Horizontal scrollers, music, extended color mapping, etc. Totally disposable files that only serve as nostalgia at this point.
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Matt
Dymo/G★P
The Phantom
cobbpg
heavymett
GI-Joe/MYD!