Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Group id #148 : Fantastic 4 Cracking Group
2007-12-15 07:21
Rough
Account closed

Group id #148 : Fantastic 4 Cracking Group

Wouldn't it be more fitting to have F4CG as main name, and the long form as AKA, nobody back in the days used the term 'Fantastic 4 Cracking Group', neither their members nor someone else in mags or greetings. Looks weird.

Looking at SHAPE, they used their short form too.

... 26 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2010-08-07 10:20
Marauder/GSS
Account closed

Quote: Mr.Mouse - originally 4 members and then expanding.

Same can be said for Shining 8 - originally 8 members, would like to know which 8 actually as Devil666, Fletch, Paco, Romrunner, Scum and Trashcan are only 6 that I know.
http://www.mirrorfox.com/videos/5811/shining-8---the-story.html may give more information but I need someone to translate for me :D

Jazzcat, according to the video around 4mins they were initially 6 members searching for new name (were they called Kamikaze Crew before? as they tell something about that crew died after being catched by police)... the name originates from the movie "shining" by Stanley Kubrick (book from Stephen King, guess you know that!) and they wanted to have a number in their name... shining 2001...shining 6... sounded all bad and there were two other guys sitting around, crash and nightmare, which became members then and shining 8 was born.

2010-08-07 10:30
TDJ

At least The Fantastic Five had the decency to dissolve before they became untrue to their name ;)
2010-08-07 11:15
Jazzcat

Marauder: thanks for that! Explains a lot. Yes indeed, they were Kamikaze Crew before (Kamikaze was their main coder then). Cheers!
2010-08-07 11:18
Spinball

Is it so hard to beleave that a lot of stuff from the early days is lost for ever? the scene was small and many disks got deleted, broke or where thrown away. no one dokumented the releases (no mags in the early days) and many sceners didn´t care about their releases when they left or moved on to another platform. not only the files are gone, but also the information that they existed at all.
so i guess we can be happy that so many old stuff made it to csdb, but we will never know how much is lost for ever.

Quoting Mr. Mouse
So how can it be lost if it was released in the scene? That makes no sense. It should be somewhere. Just like all the other stuff. With so many releases already on CSDb from all eras, I'd think if there were releases from an earlier period, they would be known to others. The other option is there was no release, or no release worth uploading. And yet another option is that there was no scene before the boom (1986). And if there was no scene, you cannot claim to have been part of something that wasn't there.
2010-08-07 19:38
chatGPZ

Quote:
So how can it be lost if it was released in the scene? That makes no sense. It should be somewhere. Just like all the other stuff. With so many releases already on CSDb from all eras, I'd think if there were releases from an earlier period, they would be known to others. The other option is there was no release, or no release worth uploading. And yet another option is that there was no scene before the boom (1986). And if there was no scene, you cannot claim to have been part of something that wasn't there.

lol ? if anything, this tells me one thing - you started much later =) in the beginning, disks were a very scarce and expensive resource. people would scratch old releases quickly to make room for new ones. und unlike it happened later (88/89 maybe), when the average gamer stumbled over a demo (or anything not game), he would not copy it (again, to save room on disks, or simply time when copying tapes). thats why especially a lot of the early "demo" type releases are probably lost forever. heck, there are even a lots of cracks missing from most early groups, and those certainly spread a whole lot better than demos back in 1985.
2010-08-07 23:47
Jazzcat

That's why we gotta convert. Particularly that stuff you find at the flea markets, lots goodies in amongst those disks.

2010-08-08 00:07
chatGPZ

yes, and thats also why old turbo tape games shouldnt be forgotten. especially for 85 era stuff from countries like UK, france, spain etc etc.
2010-08-08 12:07
Mr. Mouse

I believe you could have read in CSDb Quantify Me that I started doing scene related stuff in 1988, so there's not a secret there, nor some great insight on your part regarding my person. However, I started computing in 1982 on my VIC20, so I know all about the tape era and scarce diskdrive access, so don't ever patronize me again.

Regardless of that though, I've always saved my stuff, even if on tape, and put them on a disk once that became available to me. Sure, there is stuff lost, what I am saying it should be out there, if it was truly widespread. If not, when do we start calling something a release? When did a "scene" start? Do we subdivide in local scene versus international scene, European vs American vs Australian scene, stuff like that. If there is no evidence, what is the truth?
2010-08-08 19:14
chatGPZ

if there is no evidence, more disk must be transfered. you can count them later =)
2010-08-09 07:25
Rough
Account closed

Chances are high that there are no F4CG releases til 86 at all. Maybe they just found the group and were gamers and, quite possible in Italy, sellers of pirated soft.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Freeze/Blazon
Andy/AEG
Sentinel/Excess/TREX
Alakran_64
Jammer
Mibri/ATL^MSL^PRX