Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Release id #113179 : Monkey Eat Milkey (16kB Cart. version)
2012-12-02 09:10
enthusi

Release id #113179 : Monkey Eat Milkey (16kB Cart. version)

I dont want to start bashing, neither is this supposed to be yet-another-evil-crackers thread.
The recent events circumventing the RGCD compo results just made me kinda sad. Are we all that desperate?
All of these games are SCENE releases, made from guys among us. If a game 'needs' a trainer that is one thing, but I started this thread correlated to an entry where nothing happened but intro-linking. The same day the original game was released freely and officially to the scene.
Even the name is identical. So what good does come from that? Taking away name+fame from the creators?
Again, this is not about training, cracking, whatever.
Just take a moment to think what we want here.
All of the remaining active groups really should work for some standard.
And on a side-note I ask for quality over speed.
It is really a shame to see CSDb flooded with cheapass half-hearted cracks the same night all these games come in.
You can do better, all of you/us.
And this is NOT against G*P or Zyron or Hedning at all. You just are involved in this example of a kinda unlucky release of game given to the scene.

Edit: maybe Im just bitching around too much.

... 2 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2012-12-02 09:26
enthusi

Maybe Im overreacting here. But cant you/we just ask SOS to add a PRG? Or in fact anyone can run 'cartconv' no the crt-file and upload it.
This feels like intro-slabbing a Windwos-tool made by one of us because someone didnt release a Linux binary.
This gets twice as confusing as the Release-Title is identical. Again, no hard feelings or bashing. I just wonder about this and I appreciate discussion on this.
2012-12-02 10:07
hedning

The reason that csdb gets filled up the same night with cracks is that it is counted as a firstrelease site. If this is a good or not is up to your own group also. But you know this, right, enthusi? You are a member of Ons, one of the most famous first release groups. The naming of the release is to specify what release that was released (Ron is planning another version to come if I understand it correctly). One could also check if the release is a C64 Game or a C64 Crack...
2012-12-02 11:19
ron.sos

Hi

Now we get to be friends!
Not throwing sand at each other in the sand box :-)

When the scene is so small that it is today, it's hard to find something that is not released before.

GP has not done anything wrong then they asked me if it was okay to publish their disk version.

Then there's a second side that enthusi writes that a game without protection is not real crack ;-)

A trainer at Monkey Eat Milkey is not so easy to do.

Perhaps an NTSC Fix?
Would love to see the game work on an NTSC C64!

Ron
2012-12-02 11:25
hedning

Ron.sos: Laxity did rerelease the game with a ntsc-fix yesterday: Monkey Eat Milkey [16kb cartridge] +F. We unfortunatly did not have the time to do a fix when we had 4 other releases to work on.
2012-12-02 11:27
enthusi

Hey Ron,
no worries, we are fine.
In fact I was just discussing with hedning in chat.
I woudl ove to see a rule like: releases from within the scene are not touched or at least uploaded (here) for a period of n days/weeks. But I see this brings alot of problems so maybe a change of the ruleset is not feasable at all. Releasing due to crt -> prg is and was valid, yet it worries me that the original versions get washed 'away' so early on. Wouldnt it be nice to have one entry for you game? And watch its votes/downloads etc. Surely you would have uploaded a PRG version if you were asked to. Yet, if points are attributed for 'cracks' (everyone agrees that nothing was cracked, its just a term of the database due to lack of better alternatives, Im fine with that) like that, they are being made. That will never change.
Maybe change the system then?
Is there any 'demand' for that within the scene?
A good suggestion from Hedning was to maybe omit CSDb from the valid first-release sites. So the cracks will migrate one by one into the database over time. In fact that idea was raised on several occasions.
Im just talking about free scene releases here.
Also Im not against trainers/cracks. Some games really can need a good trainer, better loader, highscore, ntsc-fix and so on. And I wouldnt not want to be the judge of that :)
So in short:
CSDB AS FIRST RELEASE SITE??

Cheers,
enthusi
2012-12-02 11:48
hedning

Main problem with the question is that this is the wrong forum for discussing changes in the rules. There are release standard for CSDb and rules that apply for The List.
2012-12-02 12:57
Hein

Since when does a cracker care for rules?
2012-12-02 14:31
Rough
Account closed

For a very long time.
2012-12-02 15:23
chatGPZ

"Main problem with the question is that this is the wrong forum for discussing changes in the rules. There are release standard for CSDb and rules that apply for The List."
indeed - and as for that, the csdb rules matter for counting points about as much as "the list" does regarding site rules :)
personally i am all for "cracks of commercial games can not be added until after $timespan of their commercial release" - would make almost the entire "release standards" unnecessary and leave very little room for pointless discussion.
2012-12-02 16:24
MagerValp

A sample fix for 8580 would have been nice too.
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
icon/The Silents, Sp..
cba
Mr SQL
TheRyk/MYD!
Smasher/F4CG
Digger/Elysium