Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Release id #121806 : Zeugma 1.1
2013-09-23 02:09
Scorpion

Release id #121806 : Zeugma 1.1

A much anticipated release for all fans of text adventures -sorry, Interactive Fiction! I couldn't wait to try it out, and perhaps even trying my hands on creating an adventure in the future... Unfortunately, frustration set in rather quickly. Because I use Windows 8 (pause for boos) with WinVICE and I have no idea how to make a file an exact amount of bytes, I couldn't try on the emulator. But no fear! I have a 1541U-II and a C64 computer (probably the only person in China who does), so this shouldn't be a problem!

Ok, downloaded bunches of .z4, .z5, and .z8 files, renamed them to *.REU, fired up my breadbox, enabled REU (512KB), started zeugma 1.1, and... nothing. I got odd messages, saying that Z-machine version 223 wasn't supported and such. Then I remembered something odd - when using GEOS' ability to use 512KB of REU, I had to set REU to 16MB. So I did. And yay, a game actually started! But that's where my luck ran out. Most games will start, but at some point (always before the user input prompt), errors would appear on screen, usually pages and pages full, of one or more of the following examples:

[** Programming error: Carriage (object number 32) has no property <number 0> to read **]

[** Programming error: Carriage (object number 32) has no property <number 2049> (and nor has any other object) to read **]

[* Programming error: nothing (object number 0) has no property call to send message *]

[** Programming error: tried to read outside memory using --> **]

or [ Illegal opcode ] (frozen)

These kinds of messages I get with pretty much every game, usually after a few pages of (story) text. Zork (z5) came closest to completing -I even got a prompt, but upon entering any command, seemingly random characters appear in bold, and the game is stuck.

What am I doing wrong? Hoping for some good advice! Thanks
2013-09-24 20:53
Rough
Account closed

I guess txt adv fans are thrown back to 1541 speed.

from your entry: "(BASIC) teacher"
in Shanghai? Funky, C64 coding was worth anything after all.

Seriously, I wondered if there are similar games like text adventures in any Mandarin/Chinese writing system!?
2013-09-26 01:46
Scorpion

Actually, I currently don't teach CBM-BASIC, but I have in the past (until last semester), using CBM .prg Studio. I'm Currently still in the 'past', teaching students how to make DOOM maps. :)

I'm not sure about text adventures in Chinese, but I suppose I can ask; I know a few who are crazy about Interactive Fiction, although they usually play the English games. I do know some SCUMM games have Japanese and Chinese translations, such as Day of the Tentacle (although the speech is still in English; just the text has been translated).

Did anyone actually get games to work with Zeugma? Please reply, also if you have no trouble running games, then at least I can start ruling out stuff.
2013-09-26 09:33
Bieno

I've the same problem and have done all the same way you do.
Help, please !!!!!!!!!
2013-10-01 19:00
lft

This bug is confirmed on my 1541U-II as well, for the game Spiral. Interesting! It appears to work in vice.

Spiral used to work in an older (unreleased) version of Zeugma of course, or I wouldn't have recommended it in the first place. Anyway, I'll look into it.
2013-10-01 20:06
lft

Fixed in v1.2.

I forgot to mask out some bits when writing the REU bank register under certain circumstances, which caused erroneous operation for REU sizes greater than 512 kB.

But unpadded files only preload properly if you configure a 16 MB REU, at least for some versions of the 1541U-II firmware.
2013-10-01 23:42
Scorpion

Thanks for your reply, lft! I'll go ahead and give it a try later today.

To be clear: it happens with every game, not only Spiral. This includes games of only a few kb. Using 1541U-II firmware 2.6h from August 10.

Edited: So far, so awesome! The games haven't frozen on me yet. Thanks :-D
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Pad/G★P
Matt
psych
Eryk/Chrome
Apollyon/ALD
Krill/Plush