Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Release id #147008 : Ring on a String +
2016-04-04 13:06
Didi

Release id #147008 : Ring on a String +

Quoting User Comment
Submitted by hedning on 4 April 2016
Didi: Problem with your argument with Monster Buster is that Onslaught won that race with this equally untrained release (they were first on the majority of boards): Monster Buster - then they uploaded a new trained version later on.

Well, from my memory the trained version of Monster Buster was uploaded to the boards as well to prevent anyone to grab the points through the quality rule (a fact which is not documented by any post), and secure the firstie.
With the argument of being uploaded to the majority of boards you could have got any of our this years RGCD releases, because The Hidden was offline that night. Just wait until it is back and upload to all 3 and get away with it. That's why it is not the way I handle it. Majority is being first on 2 of 3 within 24h. And who was first can be seen in the directory listing on the board.

Well, for me it's the quality rule which fits this release and justifies giving the points to Excess here. Different mag editors have always had different ways to handle releases.

... 42 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2016-04-05 17:51
Cresh

Quote: Thanx.

GP crackers will handle that! :P
2016-04-05 19:52
hedning

Quote: GP crackers will handle that! :P

Why do you spend time here, Cresh? Don't you have a demo or something to make? Be creative. Try it. It's probably good for you.
2016-04-05 20:11
taper

This turned into an interesting topic!

As for Gamers Guide, it was indeed noted when the game-intro was ripped away from a release, to make sure apples were compare with apples and pears with pears. However, eventhough it was not in any way intentional, it is correct that it might have triggered the use of short crack intros in some cases.

My own personal view is; small release - small crackintro, large release - larger crackintro. We have a few amazingly short intros in store from Tao that have been used at times, one is shorter than 128 bytes if I recall correctly. Great to use on really tiny things.

As for fakelabels, for me they are past their expiration date by at least ten years. The joke is old and just tedious. For me it's simple; Either we think a game is good enough to spend time on and release, or we don't bother.

About the quality of games, I think it's unfair to say that many things released 'for real' today would be released by lamer labels in the past. Sure, you can always find individual examples to prove that point, but in general I think it's wrong.

Games like Gravitrix, Hessian, Heroes & Cowards, Bruce Lee II, Darkness and so on would have been sold as full price titles in the past. A whole range of new games would without problem qualify for release on budget-tapes from Kixx, Codemasters or Alternative Software. Most of the rest would qualify for magazine cover tapes or commercial diskmags such as Magic Disk/Golden Disk.
There are a lot of great new C64 games that deserve to be played!

Also, we tend to view the past through very rosy glasses and forget that there were plenty of bad games back in the days. I mean, who thought games like Olli and Lissa 3, Hard Drivin or Peter Beardsley's International Football (just to mention a very few) were great games? Not me at least - but they were still deemed interesting enough in some way to justify releases from real cracking groups.

I sadly think that much criticism towards the newer games come from people who simply do not play on older platforms anymore. They have rosy memories of old games, but couldn't be bothered to play them again, and would certainly not bother to play anything new. And that is fine, if all you want to do is to play your PS4 - go ahead! But perhaps then they shouldn't really comment on new games for platforms they no longer care about.

One last note on a phenomena I have a hard time to understand. Why do people only interested in demos waste time commenting on the cracking scene?

I'm a member of a forum for people who collect pinball machines and arcade games. Many of the members are only interested in one of the above and not both. But I've never see the arcade people jump into the pinball collectors thread to mock them, or the other way around. When the pinball people argue about if Addams Family or Black Knight is the best pinball game ever, do the arcade guys turn up and laughingly explain that all pinball games suck? Nope... they simply mind their own business, and avoid wasting their own precious spare time on things that do not interest or concern them...
That seem quite clever to me, at least.

One especially hilarious thing is when some demo guy starts mocking the cracking scene of today, and it turns out that person haven't contributed to ANYTHING c64 related for the past 15 years. We would all be much happier if you spent your time doing SOMETHING - ANYTHING c64 related than just whine on others who actually are productive, even if you don't get the point of what they are doing.

I considering myself equally committed to the demo and cracking scene. Thus it makes me sad when we just can't empower eachother. "Cracking is not my thing, but if you think it's fun, more power to you!" - and the other way around.
2016-04-05 20:21
Smasher

hey, Hard Drivin' had some cool 3D... I liked that one! :)
agree about fake labels. they made some sense in the past, a bit less these days.
2016-04-05 21:45
CSixx

Seems logical to me that at least *something* of value should be added before being considered a release at all.

If you do nothing to the game, then you didn't release anything new, nothing that we didn't already have.
2016-04-05 22:13
Moloch

@Smasher - Try playing Hard Drivin today without the nostalgia glasses. Even with SuperCPU the game is a disaster ;)
2016-04-05 22:37
Smasher

I've nostalgia glasses built in me, can't remove them :)
2016-04-06 05:01
Peacemaker

oh my dear.
2016-04-06 05:15
chatGPZ

make better releases. its that simple :)
2016-05-21 03:29
Jazzcat

Apologies for a late reply on this thread. I have been on a holiday from the scene and this kind of drama for the past 8 months or so but stumbled, then found the door again.

Regarding the rule, in the years leading up to 2003, there was some releases that were questionable with no trainers. We wanted to influence the cracking culture with an emphasis on increased quality. In context to 2016, I agree that most are adhering to that and thus the rule can be updated.

The below rule has now been updated to the following, maintaining the discretional right of The List author with majority consultation of others to discount a release.

- Trainer(s) are no longer required for future first releases, but everyone will try to put them out in a proper way.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Matt
Knobby/Role
Laurent
Brittle/Dentifrice^(?)
Mason/Unicess
Higgie/Kraze/Onslaught