Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Release id #150113 : International Karaoke + Contribution Beta 1
2016-08-24 20:37
Count Zero

Release id #150113 : International Karaoke + Contribution Beta 1

<Post edited by Count Zero on 28/8-2016 22:29>

Yeah every yelling soul on CSDb!

Thanks to the forces of Burn, Se7en, groepaz, many musicians not knowing about their involvement, the X-2016 staff and the most unmusical person on the planet (me) there will be SID IK+ at X-2016! *evil grin*

This time we found a way to provide a complete binary release allowing persons not as retarded as me on the beats to contribute karaoke SIDs!

So, please take your time to check up on the following lengthy explanations and descriptions.

(Whenever you are as low as I am on feeling rythm and beats, skip to the bottom, download the linked releases and start practising!)

Aim:

- Extend the existing karaoke set and easen adding own favorites
- Wipe off the vocal chords of as many people as possible at X-2016!

Idea:

- The final EasyFlash binary is a raw karaoke player to which many ".mod" files (custom format anybody can create) can just be concatenated.
- Custom collections can be created with own and supplied ".mod" files
- Regular updates to public "full" releases possible with more user supplied content

Supplied files:

- Karaoke player screen binary and example easyflash .crt (for quickly testing own conversions)
- example ACME .src, .sid (with lyrics and timings appended) and resulting ".mod"
- ikconv PC-converter for UltraStar to IK+-mod format with examples - groepaz did it!

Required:

- UltraStar Creator (from https://sourceforge.net/projects/usc/ )
- a recent VICE installation for cartconv (e.g. WinVICE from http://vice.pokefinder.org/ )

Howto:

- Compose a SID cover of a popular song - make sure it's singable (NOT Bjork!) - stick as close to the original song as possible please
- Once your SID is final, record as MP3
- Get the lyrics of the song!
- Get UltraStar Converter from: https://sourceforge.net/projects/usc/
- Load MP3 and fill in song- and artist name.
- Use 300 BPM
- <tap away to create the timing>
- Save as ultrastar text file
- Run ikconv[.exe] - the help output reads:

--verbose
--readusc <file>
--writeusc <file>
--readikmod <file>
--writeikmod <file>
--writeikasm <file>
--readsid <file>
--writesid <file>
--start-with-countdown use countdown at song start (default: no)
--volume-addr <addr> addr in player to patch for volume fade (default: use $d418)
--fade-speed <speed> speed of fade out when sid ends (default: $02)
--fade-delay <delay> number of frames to play music when lyrics are done (default: $0202)

Example:
ikconv*/ikconv[.exe] --readsid examples/Break_Free.sid --readusc "examples/Queen - I want to break free.txt" --writeikmod break_free.mod

Linux:
$ cat path/IKplus_contrib_player_only_emu.bin path/break_free.mod > path/test.bin
$ cartconv -p -t easy -i path/test.bin -o path/test.crt
$ x64sc -cartcrt path/test.crt

DOS/Win: (untested :) )
cp path/IKplus_contrib_player_only_emu.bin path/break_free.mod > path/test.bin
cartconv.exe -p -t easy -i path/test.bin -o path/test.crt
x64sc.exe -cartcrt path/test.crt

Tech:

- Space for the SID is $0800 - $9fff
- Max. speed is double speed (and keep things on a reasonable rasterline usage, $48 rasterlines is max.)
- The sample acme .src comments carry all the remaining information. *IF* you want even more detailed info, take a quick glance at the ikconv src output or ask here. Likely the most important information is: the player is looking for a header each $1000 bytes hence each ".mod" file needs to be a multiple of $1000 bytes in size.
- The player screen binary provided here will only play the first found karaoke "module" from EasyFlash ROM (for easier testing). A flashing screen indicates that no karaoke modules were found :(
- The final release including ALL OF YOUR plus the already existing modules can hold around 100 songs (size dependant, 128 songs max. based on the code) and will of course be released at X! Way to go!

Limitations:

- Currently we found no nice way to automatically add an empty line automatically to the .mod output. A workaround currently is to output the source using the ikconv "--writeikasm" option and then using "acme test.src" after having inserted the empty lines manually. This is done by adding "!byte 0" lines into the text in the source. Only single empty lines can be added!

Todo (me, sniff):

- Make up a way better "countdown to singing" effect :)
- Improve on the fadeout routines - currently "Moonlight Shadow" disbehaves :)
- Some more smaller changes for the X-2016 final release
- Package YOUR stuff :)

WANTED:

YOUR help on adding more songs to the list! Below is the complete list of currently timed and texted SIDs. Above steps should give you pointers to start and for any missing information we are here to take your rants! :)

Please provide the ".mod" AND ".src" files you would like us to add to the final release and sing on stage at X until the 15th of October 2016.

Currently available songs:

"FIFO" on the 2nd field means:
"FI" Fade-in - the song has NO intro. DOES require "countdown to singing"
"*I" Intro - the song has an intro. Does NOT require "countdown to singing"
"FO" Fade-out- the song MIGHT have an outro. Nobody cared to set stuff and it fades out shortly after the karaoke text (default).
"*O" Outro - the song has an outro. Proper fade-out settings to mute the SID before eventual restart are met.

Hence, "*I*O" is best, "FI*O" necessary evil, "*IFO" needs enhancement, "FIFO" oh well... :)

(lngth) FIFO "CSBd HVSC URL" "(HVSC path)"

(04:37) *I*O Aces High (/MUSICIANS/C/Cadaver/Aces_High.sid)
(03:07) *I*O All That She Wants (/MUSICIANS/0-9/20CC/van_Santen_Edwin/All_That_She_Wants_8580.sid)
(03:24) *I*O Just Another... (/MUSICIANS/L/Link/Just_Another.sid)
(02:38) *I*O Aua, aua, das tut weh... (/MUSICIANS/J/Jeff/Aua_aua_das_tut_weh.sid)
(02:25) *I*O aua, aua, das tut weh... (/MUSICIANS/D/Dalezy/aua_aua_das_tut_weh.sid)
(02:25) *I*O Bad (/MUSICIANS/W/Walt/Bad.sid)
(04:28) *I*O Big in Japan (/MUSICIANS/B/BOGG/Big_in_Japan.sid)
(03:18) *I*O Careless Whisper (/MUSICIANS/B/Blues_Muz/Gallefoss_Glenn/Careless_Whisper.sid)
(04:11) *I*O Dirty Diana (/MUSICIANS/P/PVL/Dirty_Diana.sid)
(03:30) *I*O Every Breath You Take'99 (/MUSICIANS/M/Merman/Every_Breath_You_Take_99.sid)
(03:01) *I*O Eye of the Tiger (/MUSICIANS/A/Argon/Eye_of_the_Tiger.sid)
(03:09) *I*O Here Comes the Rain (/MUSICIANS/E/Eye/Here_Comes_the_Rain.sid)
(04:03) *I*O I Can't Dance (/MUSICIANS/P/PRI/I_Cant_Dance.sid)
(02:40) *I*O I Like Chopin (/MUSICIANS/D/Djinn/I_Like_Chopin.sid)
(03:39) *I*O Marchmeeting (part 8) (/MUSICIANS/T/The_Blue_Ninja/Marchmeeting_part_8.sid)
(02:46) *I*O Break Free (/MUSICIANS/C/CreaMD/Break_Free.sid)
(04:37) *I*O Like a Prayer (/MUSICIANS/H/Hithouse/Like_a_Prayer.sid)
(02:33) *I*O Material Girl (/DEMOS/UNKNOWN/Master_Composer/Material_Girl.sid)
(03:37) *I*O Moonlight Shadow (/MUSICIANS/E/Eco/Moonlight_Shadow.sid) fixme - improve fadeout
(03:05) *I*O Need You Tonight v2 (/MUSICIANS/J/JCH/Need_You_Tonight_v2.sid)
(03:41) *I*O Nothing Else Matters (/MUSICIANS/I/Iron_Cat/Nothing_Else_Matters.sid)
(03:44) *I*O Policy of Truth (/MUSICIANS/A/Avalon/Policy_of_Truth.sid)
(03:12) *I*O Shake the Disease (/MUSICIANS/E/Eco/Shake_the_Disease.sid)
(03:22) *I*O Smalltown Boy (/MUSICIANS/B/BOGG/Smalltown_Boy.sid)
(03:33) *I*O Smooth Criminal (/MUSICIANS/D/Danko_Tomas/Smooth_Criminal.sid)
(03:29) *I*O Sweet Dreams (/MUSICIANS/P/PRI/Sweet_Dreams.sid)
(02:36) *I*O Take on Me (/MUSICIANS/P/PVL/Take_on_Me.sid)
(02:14) FI*O The Last Unicorn (/MUSICIANS/A/A-Man/Last_Unicorn.sid)
(02:42) *I*O The Look (/MUSICIANS/S/Siegert_Stefan/Look.sid)
(03:31) *I*O World in My Eyes (/MUSICIANS/I/Iron_Cat/World_in_My_Eyes.sid)

(Missing Info to be added - cant hear these tunes anymore currently :) )

(01:31) FI*O Adeste Fideles (/MUSICIANS/N/Ne7/Adeste_Fideles.sid)
(01:25) *I*O Alle Jahre Wieder (/MUSICIANS/A/Ass_It/Alle_Jahre_Wieder.sid)
(03:45) FIFO Helle Lieder (/MUSICIANS/A/Ass_It/Helle_Lieder.sid)
(00:00) **** Adeste Fideles (/MUSICIANS/N/Ne7/Adeste_Fideles.sid)
(00:00) **** Ihr Kinderlein (/MUSICIANS/A/Ass_It/Ihr_Kinderlein.sid)
(00:00) **** Jingle Bells (/MUSICIANS/H/Hithouse/Jingle_Bells.sid)
(00:00) **** Kling Glöckchen (/MUSICIANS/A/Ass_It/Kling_Gloeckchen.sid)
(00:00) **** Laßt Uns Froh (/MUSICIANS/A/Ass_It/Lasst_Uns_Froh.sid)
(00:00) **** Leise rieselt (/MUSICIANS/A/Ass_It/Leise_rieselt.sid)
(00:00) **** o christmas tree (/MUSICIANS/D/Dalezy/o_christmas_tree.sid)
(00:00) **** Twinkle Twinkle (/MUSICIANS/S/Static/Twinkle_Twinkle.sid)
(00:00) **** Adeste Fideles (/MUSICIANS/N/Ne7/Adeste_Fideles.sid)
(00:00) **** X-MAS Music (/MUSICIANS/L/Lyon_Legend/X-MAS_Music.sid)
(00:00) **** The Jesus Band (/MUSICIANS/H/Holt_Hein/Jesus_Band.sid)
(00:00) **** Greensleeves (/MUSICIANS/B/Brian/Greensleeves.sid)

(Current) Intro uses:
IK+ (/MUSICIANS/H/Harmony_Productions/IK_plus.sid)

In the works:
Yellow Submarine (/MUSICIANS/T/The_Syndrom/Yellow_Submarine.sid)

History:

2016 - International Karaoke + Contribution Beta 1 International Karaoke + Contribution Beta 1
2014 - International Karaoke + [extended party disk] International Karaoke + [extended party disk]
2014 - International Karaoke + International Karaoke +
2005 - International Karaoke International Karaoke Xmas Edition

PS: groepaz will add an ikconv archive to the release ASAP I think :)

... 9 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2016-08-30 11:11
chatGPZ

ok so, binaries for the converter added to the entry
2016-08-30 20:52
Mr. Mouse

Quote: Mr. Mouse - it is residing here. However, tap away the timing and stuff on your own. Among the people involved nobody seemed to like the song enough to take it on :)

Still finding obscure things so there will likely be v2 quite soon :(

PS: whenever you need help on getting things going and running tests on your own: let me know please. We'd like to sort out any problems and see many more tuned in the future :)

"Among the people involved nobody seemed to like the song enough to take it on :)"

I see! I appreciate your candor. :)
Let's just leave it there then. No point in spending more time on it.
2016-08-30 21:22
TheRyk

It's good stuff, Mr Mouse, just probably too underground to make sense for Karaoke. Even me as former EBM-Goth-idiot listened to your SID version before I knew there's some "real" tune which it's based on.
2016-08-30 21:27
Mr. Mouse

Quote: It's good stuff, Mr Mouse, just probably too underground to make sense for Karaoke. Even me as former EBM-Goth-idiot listened to your SID version before I knew there's some "real" tune which it's based on.

Hehe. lol. Well, just today I spoke to one of my colleagues who hummed something from Editors, and I then joined in. She looked baffled, "you know this?" Sure, I said, Editors, I love them. "You're the first I've encountered to appreciate them!"

So yeah. ;-)
2016-08-30 21:28
chatGPZ

the point is, that unless you know the song really well, its almost impossible to do the timing for the karaoke right. and neither c0 nor me knew it good enough (or at all). on the other hand timing the "i want to break free" tune that also comes as an example with the editor what dead easy for me, since i know the song inside out :)
2016-08-30 21:31
Mr. Mouse

Quote: the point is, that unless you know the song really well, its almost impossible to do the timing for the karaoke right. and neither c0 nor me knew it good enough (or at all). on the other hand timing the "i want to break free" tune that also comes as an example with the editor what dead easy for me, since i know the song inside out :)

Makes sense :)
2016-08-30 22:16
chatGPZ

with the editor -> converter i mean =) (wow that post has a funky number of interesting mistakes. totally not because i am drunk =D)

and it would be great if you could take the time and time the karaoke thing for your tune - afterall it shouldnt matter what c0 and me like to listen to :)
2016-09-02 20:49
Mr. Mouse

Okay, should be a nice challenge. Let's see if I can find my way with the tools =)
2016-10-17 17:41
Count Zero

So, anybody been toying with the editor? Need additional help? Whom at least looked at things?
2020-02-09 15:41
Jasmin68k

Fought my way through various pitfalls, but got a Karaoke-sync for Broder Louie ready - sent to Count Zero.

I did the whole procedure on linux, trying out https://yass-along.com/ (which is kinda weird), settling on https://github.com/UltraStar-Deluxe/UltraStar-Creator, which I had to compile. It is simple and easy to use. You can always go back a few syllables with x, set the song slider manually back with the mouse, restart and continue with the next syllable at the right moment in the song.

You can use yass for editing the result, but I preferred to do it manually in the text file or just tap well in the first place ;)

Stumbled over a few oddities, bugs, made mistakes, but in the end, I got it working.

If anybody wants to get started doing more songs and has a problem, pm me, maybe I had the same issue.
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Urban Space Cowboy
Krill/Plush
bepp/ΤRIΛD
Steveboy
Marco/DDM
Guests online: 86