Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Release id #26367 : Retro Replay ROM v3.8p
2006-01-09 11:55
hannenz
Account closed

Release id #26367 : Retro Replay ROM v3.8p

there seems to be a whole lot of confusion about this release, so i want to explain it a little.

There (definitley) is a bug in the ProgramFlasher v3.8b which is envoked by TOOL from the latest RR-ROM v3.8b. (yes, they have same version numbers.)
There are FlashUtilities Versions v0.04 & v0.05 which seem to work well but won't work on the newer revisions of RR (red board), because they don't recognise the new M29F010B FlashROM which replaced the M29F010 on older RRs.
So, owners of the new (red, revision 2004) board can't use the v0.04/ v0.05 FlashUtility and the v3.8b-one has a bug in it concerning (only!) the PROGRAM FLASHER. (Flashing whole ROMs works with v3.8b fine)

The bug is a fact. I know because i fixed it. Believe me!!
(Flashing Programs will work, but they fail to "load" after power up, because the "download" routine, which should be executed in RAM is executed in FlashROM, which crashes the machine)

I fixed this bug and "released" FlashUtiliuty v3.8p (i called it "p" because of "patch") here in CSDb.

Then I told Jens Schoenfeld about this patch and he asked me to fix the whole RR-ROM v3.8b so that he can ship RRs with the patched FlashUtility from now on. To get it straight, I called the ROM v3.8p as well. (I didn't start with confusing version numbers...;))

And to get another thing clear: I am not a member of Cyberpunx or such. I simply recognised the bug and did a fix to it. Unfortunately I couldn't get in contact with Count Zero until now.
This is no official Cyaberpunx release.

Furthermore this ROM is nothing more than the v3.8b-ROM, it just saves the patched FlashUtility v3.8p to disk when typing TOOL.
This ROM is intended to replace the v3.8b on future shipping of the RR, there's no need to update, there is a version of the FlashUtility v3.8p here in CSDb as stand-alone as well. Simply download this and use it if you want to have a working ProgramFlasher on your (new, red board) RR. Owners of older RRs can use the FlashUtility v0.05.

Hope to get some things clearer now!

... 38 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2006-02-08 20:57
Oswald

shumway: please relax, and think a bit on how childis your oppinion is.

(and by that I kept now all the flaming about you for myself)
2006-02-08 22:20
Rattus
Account closed

Blah, blah... I bought The RR.... downloaded the flasher, downloaded the RRrom-image? and flashed the shit into my RR... works fine, no complains... Got what I wanted, costed a bit too much as usual.... (and if I remember right, my RR got some rr-image flashed already in the device.. in Finland, bought from gentle eye...)

2006-02-09 08:51
MagerValp

Meh, who cares about RR-ROM? Get TFR! :)
2006-02-25 15:38
FMan
Account closed

Quote: you know what? write your whining into a mail and send it to jens. its getting boring. "software is updated by freeware programmers" means exactly that. no idea how you draw the connection from "freeware programmers" to "individual computers". and about common practice, have a look at other non mainstream hardware, for example console modchips - whose firmware often (most of the times) has a simelar relation to the hardware.

whatever, i can only repeat: complain at jens, quit the whining at ppl who couldnt care less.

Groepaz, if you don't care why do you keep replying? To me "freeware programmers" implies that it's just a hell of a deal for the manufacturer, but enough of this, yes. I cannot agree with Puterman, because IMHO the existing Cyberpunx FlashUtil is one of the worst programs ever made.

I've also tried to contact Countzero, but he isn't replying my emails. And no, I did not email him that you suck but rather asked for information regarding the ROM Header. Oliver Achten also dismissed my request for further details, so apparently secrecy is the way to go in this stuff...

I am willing to admit it was me who misunderstood the RR thing. I was mistaken about the software provided for it and my expectations toward MMC64 were also too high. Not that I'm not happy with it, but I was in a dreamworld hoping it to provide a high level filesystem interface...

PS. I've seen enough of Oswald's behavior on #C-64 that he should be very quiet about being chilidish.
2006-02-26 16:27
RaveGuru

Quote: Groepaz, if you don't care why do you keep replying? To me "freeware programmers" implies that it's just a hell of a deal for the manufacturer, but enough of this, yes. I cannot agree with Puterman, because IMHO the existing Cyberpunx FlashUtil is one of the worst programs ever made.

I've also tried to contact Countzero, but he isn't replying my emails. And no, I did not email him that you suck but rather asked for information regarding the ROM Header. Oliver Achten also dismissed my request for further details, so apparently secrecy is the way to go in this stuff...

I am willing to admit it was me who misunderstood the RR thing. I was mistaken about the software provided for it and my expectations toward MMC64 were also too high. Not that I'm not happy with it, but I was in a dreamworld hoping it to provide a high level filesystem interface...

PS. I've seen enough of Oswald's behavior on #C-64 that he should be very quiet about being chilidish.

Well ok, it is lacking mouse support and an intuitive point & click user interface, but saying that it's one of the worst programs ever made seems a bit harsh.

Sure, there are some minor bugs to straighten out, but all in all it's very easy to use and has been working flawlessly for me at least. A bit slow perhaps, but I believe it's using kernal loader for 100% compatibility with all kinds of drives. And if you own a SilverSurfer you have the option to use that. IMHO I think it's one of the better tool programs ever made for the c64.
2006-03-01 19:05
FMan
Account closed

Mouse support. :) All right, I may have overexaggerated somewhat. Besides, so far Cyberpunx's Flash Util is the only way to flash RR. At least I haven't heard of alternative tools for that purpose. And I admit that the flashing seems to work reliably and errorless which is the most important thing.
2006-03-04 17:54
RaveGuru

Hehe.. well anyway, this thread should really move on to the http://rrforum.ath.cx *Advertising Intended*

;)
2006-03-04 23:10
chatGPZ

Quote:

Groepaz, if you don't care why do you keep replying?

for the same reason i'd yell "NO! TIHS BAD!" at you if you were going to touch a hot oven. because no matter how much you demand touching an oven should be 100% safe under all circumstances, it *will* still be hot.
2006-03-05 18:06
FMan
Account closed

LOL. True. But there should still be a big sign "hot oven". ;)
2006-03-06 21:49
Devia

Argh.. like the Americans place those little signs all over the floors in airports and such that say: CAUTION! WET FLOOR! DO NOT STUMBLE!! ..or whatever, only you don't notice them until you actually trip over them :-)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Matt
hedning/G★P
iAN CooG/HVSC
Sentinel/Excess/TREX
t0m3000/ibex-crew
jmin