Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Release id #4018 : Hatework
2010-01-08 19:54
Oswald

Release id #4018 : Hatework

this is probably the most listened music disk by me.

now that I have the chance, I'd like to ask about the background of the tunes & poems & very dark mood in hatework. What was the inspiration, etc. The mood of the tunes always made me think Wacek must be a dark death metal satanist etc guy. :) Suicide, lobotomy, dark things waiting frozen to be awaken, etc, where did all this stuff came from? Let me know :)
2010-01-08 21:07
wacek

Hmm. You are right for the most things :)

First of all, I've always been inspired by dark side of things, however not to the level of becoming a goth ;) Add to that listening to all kinds of metal since the age of 7, fascination with science fiction, horror & gore, and many years of being a (soft-)Satanist/anti-God freak. Oh, I almost forgot - a hating people sociopath. Quoting one of my favourite guys, Bill Hicks - "A man filled to the fucking brim with pure, white hatred". That is me in 1996 :)

Sonically, I always considered my tracks on the 64 as trash metal tracks composed with techno-oriented tools (at least up to some moment, in which I really went deep into electronica and IDM and started going into that direction). There's also another thing - I just cannot write happy tunes :) sorry, tried that a couple of times and the result was quite crappy ("Na.EB.any" for example).

So, Hatework is like a trash metal album on the C64, with some small exceptions. Is it a 'concept' release? I think to most extent, yes. In that time I remember msx collections for C64 as being just that - collection of tunes composed by a musician. In most cases, mixes of all moods & styles. I wanted to do something that would be consistent, but also - different. I am very satisfied with the fact, that Hatework received extreme feedbacks - people either loved it, or hated it. It's so nice to be controversial, you know ;)

Why there is a "poem" for every track? That's an idea stolen from a metal band Annihilator, they had liner notes for every track on their early albums. I also love dark poetry of heavy metal lyrics. So I wanted the listener to look for the sounds and the feeling in the music, that would correlate with the message. Now, wouldn't you say, that the beginning of "Frozen" sounds icy? That the first seconds of "Artificial Intelligence" sound cyber-ish? ;) I am so devoted to that concept, that it will be done in a same way on our (razorPoint) debut album, which will be released this month ("Deeper Wounds"). Make sure you check it out ;)
2010-01-09 21:12
Oswald

thank you, sir :) btw you're far from a sociopath from what I gather.

"Sonically, I always considered my tracks on the 64 as trash metal tracks composed with techno-oriented tools "

you got it right then, felt like that for me :)

"Now, wouldn't you say, that the beginning of "Frozen" sounds icy? That the first seconds of "Artificial Intelligence" sound cyber-ish? "

ofcourse :) and you got those poems and feelings so right, I have always listened to the pieces by imagining the situation described. and they fit very well. fex. at claustrophobic the bass feels like walls closing up on you.

here's my fave list:

alien #1
bullet in.. #1 #2
canned
claustrophobic
evil utions
frozen
lobotomy (that scalpel-saw sound! :D )
only hate (the drums at 0:40 coul chop down trees:)
psychosis (straight into hell:)
riddler
seer

btw what about the hires picture ? it feels off for the dark theme, I always thought the girl is suffering / dying and the guy in the background is her dad, or some old pervert killing her or just watching her suffering, or just some other person suffering too.

okay too much babble, already... :)
2010-01-09 22:41
wacek

About the picture, you'd have to ask Bimber to make sure.
But... for me, she was always the siren from the subtitle of the release.
2010-01-09 23:54
V-12

For sure one of the best MSX collections on C64 from the 90's :) Some fantastic songs are missing here, like G-Lame-Rows and Psychedelic Hardcore :D
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
manganoid/Hokuto Force
TheRyk/MYD!
Alakran_64
csabanw
Sentinel/Excess/TREX
Higgie/Kraze/Onslaught